Is speed a qualification?

stomper

Does having good race times really mean you know anything about running?

I read a lot of articles about running to try to keep the Library up to date. And one thing I see in articles, especially but not exclusive in sports-related publications, is people's race times being used as evidence of their expertise. For example, an article will say,

"'Blah blah blah,' says Dr. ABC, who a podiatrist at the International Sports Medicine place and is no slouch as a runner, doing a 2:55 marathon."

This logic (speed=expertise) is all over the running press and forms an interesting double standard with the other party line, "everyone is different."

It is clear genetics have a lot to do with athletic performance. Training can give you gains, yes, surprising gains, but genetics clearly sets limits. No matter how much training he does, Dr. ABC will never run a 2:10 marathon. And no matter how much training other people do, they will never run Dr. ABC's 2:55, or even 3:55. On some level their bodies just aren't made for it.

How much improvement can training really give you? If anyone has good technical info reviewing the relative contributions of genetics and training, I'd be interested.

I agree - it's a frustrating

I agree - it's a frustrating reality that speed is seen as expertise. I think it depends on how that speed is come by :)

I don't really consider it a

I don't really consider it a good indicator of someone's qualifications. I place way more importance on longevity and adaptibility.

All ability aside, it might

All ability aside, it might say how hard they're willing to work for a time...? They're dedicated to the sport. I think a good time can indicate that you're hardcore and a train diligently. As opposed to a "hobby jogger". Meh.

(This coming from someone who doesn't own a GPS or running watch. Hah!)

I would hope that they would

I would hope that they would have more than just speed to their credit. I do think genetics play a huge part in who can run fast and who cannot though.

Sweet, I can blame my speed

Sweet, I can blame my speed (or lack thereof) on my predecessors. No sense in doing that damn speedwork anymore. :)

There was another thread

There was another thread around here not too long ago about the genetic makeup of a fast runner's legs, those like the Kenyans, small, tight, and compact, that gave them the ability to run faster than the rest of us. Their calves are not big, not thick. I think there is something to this. (At least it explains why I am so slow. Hee.) Every fast runner I've ever seen has that type of body build. One of the guys in my club, an x-president of the club, long-time member, is about 55 years old and still runs a 6 minute mile. He has a long, skinny build like a Kenyan.

speed and athletic ability

speed and athletic ability are defenitely genetic. i believe it skipped me and went straight to my daughter. she can run fast. i see my brother, who has a different dad than i do, and my mom's family are all quite gifted and fast. me, i'm lucky enough to have my father's chicken legs and only some athletic ability.

i can say i have increased in speed and stamina. while i don't have a watch or gps i somewhat time myself with my cell phone so i know i am speeding up constantly, or i should say consistantly.

Stomper, yes, i know your going to say i'm not very fast and that's true but you should have seen how slow i was in shoes. terrible. going bf and minimalist definitely has increased my speed and stamina and even my flexibility.

by the way, we are bf'ers. if we cared what others thought we wouldn't be bf, right?

mike

Right, Mike!

Right, Mike!

Barefoot TJ wrote:There was

Barefoot TJ said:
There was another thread around here not too long ago about the genetic makeup of a fast runner's legs, those like the Kenyans, small, tight, and compact, that gave them the ability to run faster than the rest of us. Their calves are not big, not thick. I think there is something to this.

I'm pretty sure this means I hold the record as the slowest skinny-calved runner on earth. These chicken legs of mine do NOT go fast. ;)

Speed only matters as a

Speed only matters as a qualification if you are also wearing the correct brand gear and if you look good doing it. Luckily, I'm dead sexy and when I run I wear a bright orange Nike swoosh on my chest, an Asics sticker on my left butt cheek, I'm sure my Under Armor tattoo is oiled and obvious, and my New Balance flag is properly fluttering behind me (due, of course, to my great speed due to my correct use of branding). I advertise therefor I am fast. I am fast therefor I am qualified. Or, in the original Latin, Devertisea hereforta astfa hereforta ualifiedqa.