Is it socially unacceptable to go barechested?

Discussion in 'The Barefoot Pub' started by flammee, May 29, 2013.

?

Would you (men only) go barechested in hot weather at outdoors in public places?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    94.7%
  2. No (this includes beach, pool and such swimming or sunbathing related places)

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Longboard

Longboard
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan

Ha! Thanks Silly, never saw that!
    We ALSO lived in a fish fly free zone for over 20 years, but around 10 years ago they started establishing themselves 40 miles west to OUR lake as well!
    Used to be a Lake St. Clair thing exclusively, now they're EVERYWHERE in the south east Michigan lake areas.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Hope'sMom

Hope'sMom
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Other people's comfort is not your problem. They can exercise their right to look in any of the three alternative cardinal directions if they have a problem with your shirtlessness. If you're out running, dress however you feel most comfortable! Guys, if that means running shirtless, go for it! Women should be able to run in a bra only if they like. Now, I would prefer if people wear shirts at the grocery store or in restaurants ... I don't want to have to pick a guy's chest hair out of my cheeseburger.

3. Grizzly16

Grizzly16
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Arkansas

I'm all for being shirtless as much as possible. But I'm warm by nature. If it is above 75ish I'll pull the shirt off for runs, basketball, mowing etc. Mainly because I've yet to find shirt that doesn't feel sticky or constricting.

And honestly after dropping a fair bit of weight over the year of running getting the occasional whistle makes me feel warm and fuzzy :)

4. NickW

NickW
    Expand Collapse

I see some women occasionally in just a sports bra for a top. Not sure why that's taboo or inappropriate for anyone since you see much less on women at the beach (last I checked this was a public place too)... And just so there is no confusion I am agreeing with you, I know writing loses all tone so just want to make sure I am clear on what I mean.

Bare Lee and happysongbird like this.
  5. Longboard

Longboard
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan

I usually shave my chest before heading out for a shirt free burger & brew.

happysongbird likes this.
  6. happysongbird

happysongbird
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

I like how you put that. I was having a conversation with someone about it this weekend and I wish I had thought of that. They can choose to look away!

7. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

This thread got me thinking.

Any time I see a bloke running with his shirt off, my natural reaction is "wanker!", but I realise that is just a bit of prejudice at work on my part. I always assume that anybody running around without a shirt on is an attention seeking try-hard*, but I guess I should consider whether they just like the feel of running shirtless. It's probably a similar thing to people running barefoot when I think about it. I've never tried it. Maybe I should try it one day, or at least adjust my attitude a little.

As for swimming, I'll happily jump into a pool or the ocean shirtless, hairy back and all. My wife wants me to shave down, but men who shave their bodies disgust me, and I wouldn't know where to stop to avoid an embarrassing 'fringe-line'.

*That's not to say that some of the people I see running shirtless aren't attention seeking try-hards, of course. :D

NickW, happysongbird and dutchie53 like this.
  8. Grizzly16

Grizzly16
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Arkansas

My only complaint with ladies running topless or in a sports bra is the opposite of being able to look away.... makes it hard to focus on the road in front of me at times when I'm doing this: :woot:

bfsailor and NickW like this.
  9. Hope'sMom

Hope'sMom
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Men who are clearly past puberty and have no chest hair look a little strange, IMHO. But then I tend to be attracted to short, furry men with meat on their bones!

Larry and happysongbird like this.
  10. Hope'sMom

Hope'sMom
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Although I guess unless you're the waiter, your chest hair probably isn't going to land in my burger. But thanks anyway!

11. NickW

NickW
    Expand Collapse

If I know I am going to be without a shirt on, I will shave my chest only, but I have a reason for doing that because in reality I would much prefer to just be hairy chested and not have to shave it at all (we as men are hairy creatures and shouldn't have to feel ashamed of that hair. Damn western culture.). Have you ever seen the episode of My Name is Earl where he's a kid getting picked on for his hairy nipples? Well, that's me. Seems I don't grow chest hair like a normal man and it grows in patches. Who want's to be embarrassed by that when being out shirtless? Thankfully the way my chest hair grows I don't have to worry about any fringe-line because I just shave the little patches on the chest and then everything else looks normal.

12. happysongbird

happysongbird
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

I'm with you. I think grown-up hairy men are sexy. And yes, that describes my husband, so all is well. ;)

13. Hope'sMom

Hope'sMom
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Yeah, I married a short, furry, meaty man! :smuggrin:
    And I have just discovered we have no smilies with hearts ...

14. Spinningwoman

Spinningwoman
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Is it a US thing for men to shave?? I've never heard of it until recently except for models and competitive swimmers. Better hair than stubble, surely?!? Particularly in any close situations! Eek!

15. bfsailor

bfsailor
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. Pennsylvania

Once, many years ago, I dressed in drag for Halloween and shaved my legs and my chest. The legs weren't bad, but when the chest hair began to grow back in earnest - I never itched so badly in my life! :inpain:
    My chest shaving days were over!

16. Barefooting Bob

Barefooting Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. North Dakota
    3. Nederland -...

I don't know why my hands get cold on the run, my feet never, just the hands. Small sacrifices I guess

17. JosephTree

JosephTree
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Yesterday's race was a sweaty one! The shirt came off at mile 1.5 and stayed off for the subsequent 11.8. I did sport a bit of a burn, but it faded by morning.

I know that nobody thought twice about my medium hairy, mesomorphic bod because a skinny guy with major butt hair (all I saw as he passed me at speed) and an over the shoulder lime green number that flossed his crack garnered all the attention. I just wondered where he hung his race bib.

I'm a big fan of "wear what pleases you" balanced by the old axiom "if they can't take a joke, f**k 'm."

Around my house I'm pleased to see that my kids don't get hung up with body stuff much. They're much better than I was at their age regarding body positive image and very low on taboo stuff. That's likely to change some as puberty rears it's snarling head, but for now, bodies are good and healthy.

Bare Lee, Barefoot Dama and Larry like this.
  18. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Live and let live, is that so hard?

19. Grizzly16

Grizzly16
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Arkansas

Based on 90% of the news stories I've read the last few years it seems letting people be is quite hard.

20. migangelo

migangelo
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

question. why is someone who runs bf worried about social etiquette?

dutchie53, RandyY, Bare Lee and 2 others like this.