Is It Really Safe to Lift Barefoot?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Reactions: Bare Lee
Well, my max weight has never been more than 50# (for chest press), but I always work out barefoot. (I work out at home. I doubt a gym would let me near machines or weights barefoot.)

Now, if only I had a room set apart as a gym, with leg press, adductor, abductor, and a couple other machines. :joyful:

Well, my max weight has never been more than 50# (for chest press), but I always work out barefoot. (I work out at home. I doubt a gym would let me near machines or weights barefoot.)

Now, if only I had a room set apart as a gym, with leg press, adductor, abductor, and a couple other machines. :joyful:
I think if you drop a weight on your foot, shoes aren't going to do a whole lot more than bare feet to save you anyway...unless you're wearing steel-toed boots or something like that. I don't know, but I don't want to try it to find out. :barefoot:;)

Reactions: Random
Martial arts, yoga, and ballet are done barefoot or virtually barefoot, because of the greater stability it affords. Anytime temps or terrain allow for it, I think barefoot is best. If you're playing soccer, for example, of course, you'll want the greater traction afforded by cleats, even if makes you more susceptible to twisting your ankle.

As far as whether or not you can lift as much barefoot, who cares if you're not competing (publicly, or against your own PRs)? The point of strength training is to make everything strong, including the foot.