Is it only me?

Norm Deplume wrote: Did that

Norm Deplume said:
Did that work to get the image embedded? It looks like it to me, but it might just be my cache that is making it appear so. (My trick is to click "Disable Rich Text" then put the HTML code for embedding the image. If you try to use HTML in the Rich Text Editor, it won't work.)

That worked to use the HTML "img" tag/code to reference a remote image. BUT, it would be really nice to be able to directly paste in an image and not depend on a remote site (whos object may go away in the future).

Good warmups are key to

Good warmups are key to having a good run, and equally important is not starting the run too fast. If you start your run too fast, your HeartRate goes up too fast and too high, and you also build up LacticAcid in your muscles that slow down the rest of your run and your endurance. If you dont warmup enough but start a normal run, the effect is the same due to the large transition from nothing (or walking) to actually running.

1) Here is a normal run for me, proceeded by a good 5-10 minute jogging warmup. Then I stop, reset my Garmin, and start my actual run. The actual run is then done at totally constant pace start-to-finish:

HR-09may-runWarmup.jpg

2) Here is a run last week where I decided to try a 6:1 Run:Walk set of cycles. Foolishly I only did a walking warmup, then started my normal jog. You can see exactly what I am talking about, the first cycle is not good and it takes until the second cycle to settle down, Third and other cycles are then fine. Good warmups and not over-doing the start of your run (start slow to finish strong) are really important.

HR-11may-walkWarmup.jpg

I am not a really experienced nor long-distance runner, but I know about the importance of a good warmup and the recorded charts above capture and show it amazingly clearly.

PS: Some coaches are strong believers in Run:Walk intervals (during training and races) to actually increase your overall speed and endurance while reducing the stress and strain on your body:

My heartrate graphs look the

My heartrate graphs look the opposite of AlmostBarefoot_Barry's, basically it takes .5 - 1.0 miles for my heartrate to ramp up and stabilize around the target heartrate on an aerobic run with only a small walking warmup or no warmup.

Something I have noticed also is when you spike your heartrate it will have a lag time going back down to where it was even when you bring your pace back down, sometimes it will never go back down all the way to where it was before the spike. This is a good way to see how fit you are, the quicker the ramp back down the better your fitness is.

I prefer to run slow at the start for about a mile as my warmup and just make that part of the run...also the last half mile or so extra slow as my cool down.

AlmostBarefoot_Barry

AlmostBarefoot_Barry said:
That worked to use the HTML "img" tag/code to reference a remote image. BUT, it would be really nice to be able to directly paste in an image and not depend on a remote site (whos object may go away in the future).

Most of the website/forums that I frequent don't allow members to host pictures locally. I typically put everything up at Picasaweb or Photobucket then link to them. My only "beef" is that I have to disable the text editor in order to get pictures to work.

We are aware of this issue,

We are aware of this issue, and we're working toward getting storage. -TJ

I find that I cannot get my

I find that I cannot get my heart rate up and make it stay up for any period of time. I've been known to breathe hard in the first couple of miles, but after that, I really don't feel like I am being taxed. I'm just one of those lazy runners. I love to run long and run far, but I feel no urgency to run fast.

@TJ -- I think that is where

@TJ -- I think that is where I am going to end up. I am really enjoying be able to run a little longer each week but am okay with the fact that I am very slow. lol

Update on the original issue I posted about... I went out this morning to try the slow run warm up and it didn't work for me. After about 2 blocks my right calf and a muscle on my shin just below and outside of my right knee were very close to seizing up on me. Enough to the point where I stopped and massaged the area for a few minutes. I walked the next two blocks and then started my normal run and was fine, dealt with the whole have to push myself through it for the first 1/2 mile thing, but didn't have the seizng up muscle issue. So, I guess I will still be doing my 5 min warm up walks, but will pick up the pace for those and see if that does anything.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones destined to have to talk myself through the beginning of each run. lol

Have you been tested for

Have you been tested for Vitamin D deficiency lately?

@TJ, no I haven't but I don't

@TJ, no I haven't but I don't see how that can be an issue as I am outside a whole lot as well as eating eggs a couple of times a week, yogurt almost daily and a little milk sometimes in cereal. I also take a daily vitamin that has 400 iu of Vit D almost daily, sometimes I forget. Last time I had blood work done was in early Feb before my surgery and was told everything looked good. Not sure if I was actually tested for D levels though. lol

It is funny because I do ok at a regular walk and a brisk walk but at a power walk I end up with the same muscle tightnesss I got when I tried this morning to run even slower than I normally do. I think for now I will just stick with my brisk 5 min warm up walk and then do my run. Might also have something to do with the fact that I pretty much roll out of bed, put clothes on, go to the bathroom and then headed out. Maybe if I was up and about walking and such before hand it would work ok. Who knows. Going to just do what seems to be working for me right now even if it means talking myself through that first 1/2 mile.

I've posted this before,

I've posted this before, elsewhere. I too drink a ton of milk and spend countless hours outside. Even in winter, I wear short sleeves, since I get hot easy when I run. Just something to think about. Next time you're at the docs, ask for this specific test.

A low level/Vitamin D deficiency can cause extreme muscle weakness that will not resolve on its own. Be sure they ask for a blood test to check your Vit D level, specifically 25(OH)D.

For everyone to consider when dealing with issues of tight calf muscles:

This advice is not such a long-shot...read on...

I had also experienced extreme muscle fatigue and tightening in my calves while running. My neurologist (treating for Morton's Neuroma) ran some blood work and found that I also had a Vitamin D deficiency. It was strange since I had been taking 1,000 IU of Vit D per night for the past half year. I did a lot of research to find out what to do about my problem. Apparently, they're finding out that the 400 IU per day the government feels is adequate isn't so, according to one article I read. The article stated that 93% of people who go to the emergency room (for whatever reason) are Vit D deficient. There may just be a hidden epidemic here. I found that doctors prescribe 50,000 IU once per week for those with Vit D deficiency. (I read on some of the Vit D discussion forums that some people experienced head aches, tremors, etc., when taking high doses of Vit D all at once.) So I decided to take 4,000, then 5,000, now 6,000 IU each night. Within 2 -3 weeks I began noticing that the weakness in my calf muscles went completely away. I don’t have that problem anymore. There's a very informative .PDF on Vit D deficiency at: http://www.savvypatients.com/NEJM%20Vitamin%20D%20Review.pdf. Also, check out the many resources at: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/. You can also get the liquid form of Vitamin D that works a lot quicker.

Very interesting TJ. Thanks

Very interesting TJ. Thanks for the links.