Is it just this AZ heat?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by run_barefoot_az, Jul 22, 2011.

1. run_barefoot_az

run_barefoot_az Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Arizona -...

Help, I can't seem to break a 10 minute mile. Itry to run 3 miles5 days a week, but sometimes it's only 2 miles. I started running again about a year and a half ago and thought I'd be faster by now. Any tips for increasing speed? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Chris

2. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Well, is the reason for not getting the distance in that you want on a run because of the heat or because of muscle fatigue, you're winded, or sore connective tissue? I have been trying to get my times down to about where I was before I started transitioning to barefoot running. I have seen sites that say it can take up to 3 years and you should plan on at least 18 months. So 4 months in, I have a while to go...hahaha. But I have gotten close to some personal best times lately, even in the heat. I think that Jeff Galloway's estimation is that you take your ideal 1 mile time (he calls it a miracle mile) and add 30 seconds to that for ever 5 degrees over 60 deg F. So if you run a 7 min mile when it is nice and cool, then on a balmy 90 deg morning, you'll be running that mile in 10 minutes. I don't know that 30 seconds is appropriate, but I definately notice a difference. One week it was 40 deg when I went running, the next week it was 80. I ran the same route and the second week was about 2 1/2 minutes slower for the same route.

Bottom line is that it just takes time and patience. Don't try to push it too much...especially if you have had injuries in the past from running. The time is just a measure (and not a very good one...even though we ALL focus on our times...hahaha), but there are other ways to measure the success of a run. How did you feel afterwards? Did you make it further than the last time? Focusing on form, working on breathing, etc.

Something you can try is to make sure you don't run the same course day after day. You will get used to getting to certain points by certain times and if you don't see an improvement from one day to the next, you will get frustrated and your times will stay pretty consistent. Vary your courses and run the same course only occassionally to see how you compared to last time. Also keep track of the weather and log that as well. Then you can use Galloway's estimation to approximately compare runs in different temperatures.

Hope that helps some!

-James

3. casatucson

casatucson Chapter Presidents
    1. Arizona -...
    2. México
    3. Presidents

4. run_barefoot_az

1. Arizona -...
    2. Arizona -...

Thanks, for the response. I feel pretty good usually when I done, but it aways seems I am just bearly making it to the finishline. I focus on form as much as I can, and recently started to try and focus on taking in more air through deeper breating from the gut insteat of just the chest. The heat maybe, muscle fatigue probably. I don't have much choice with the time of day when I can run. Noon on the weekday is just about it. I have to admit that I lost some time over the last six months for a leg surgery and my wife's arm injury, so I couldn't keepup my workout schedule.I've noticed I pretty much run the same pace in winter and summer, soI think Galloway may have something there. The fastest mile I ever ran is an 8:50 which was in the colder months and by the time summer rolls around I'm around 11 minutes.Unfortunately I think the 8:50 was a fluke as I've never been able to consistently repeat it. I am varing my course now a little bit. I run the same one in different directions. If you want to join me some time if you have the time I run the river park between La Canada Dr. and La Cholla during my lunchtime. I start at the parking lot just west of the ITT Technical Institute and run a loop up one bank and down the other. I change the direction every other day. Sometimes I'm able to get down to Udal park in the evenings when my wife is up to going for a walk. I have found that running with a partner who is a little bit faster that I am is a good training aid also.

Thanks again for the info,

Chris

5. run_barefoot_az

1. Arizona -...
    2. Arizona -...

Thanks Patrick,

That was an intense video. I like to think I have that kind of form when I run. I did start some interval work right before my leg surgery in December, but I just haven't been able to get into my old groove. I think I might give you a call to see about going for a run sometime. I've found that having a running partner who's a little better is a great training aid. There was an intern at work I used to run with who was a lot younger and a lot faster and a real challenge to keep up with. My usual running schedule and the only one I can really do is on my lunch break at noon on the weekdays. I run the river park between La Canada Dr. and La Cholla. I've been meaning to try and go down to Reid park on Thrusday evenings, but I haven't been able to work out the time yet.

Chris

6. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

I'll try to meet up with you sometime for a run or two. Seems like you just need to give it some time to get your times back down.

I know that running the same route can get kind of boring and that can drag on your times as well.

The times will come down eventually. Sounds like focusing on your form and getting some mileage in is about all you can do right now. If it is a matter of motivating yourself to run faster, then a running buddy can help, but be careful because if you focus too much on trying to keep up with the other person you can let your form go and injure yourself. I usually don't recommend that someone do that, but if it works for you, then go with it. I have always told people I run with to run at their own pace and we'll all meet up at the end...hahaha.

See you out there soon.

-James

7. run_barefoot_az

1. Arizona -...
    2. Arizona -...

Great, I go around noon. Drop me an email if you plan on it and I'll keep a look out for you. Yesterday was pretty tough, but I did get a honk on La Canadaon Friday which gave me a boost for the last 1300 ft.