Product Review

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2012
Reviewed by: Johnnyscoots
Date Product Reviewed: 08/26/2011
Product Type: Footwear

picture-12496.jpg

2012-04-07_000506.png
I received my Invisible Shoes Contact (6mm) today. Happy Happy Happy!
I think the poor Vibrams are laying in their coffins, and the final nail is ready to be struck. There is an inherent joy to being able to feel your toes, move your toes, see your toes. The shoes are light (yeah, like no duh), have incredible flexibility and traction (better than the Vibrams), and cost a fraction of the...um..."fingers". No misnomer here...well, yeah maybe there is. "Invisible" means unseen, but, everytime I look down...yep, there they are.

The Vibrams would get looks but the Contact got double takes. Triple takes. The slow drive by while staring at my feet (cue near rear end collision). Might have been a collision if said drive by-er tried that one hand steering wheel/one hand camera phone trick. I digress...but you have to admit that although the phenomenon "Born To Run" was written by a Lancaster County resident you would think that...um...Lancaster County residents would be acclimated to minimalist running. Guess that is not the case. Well, some tidbits for you to digest should you decided to venture into the world of cheap ($34.95 shipped) huarache running sandals:

Flat. Kinda self explanatory. Nice tread pattern lends to VERY awesome traction to the nth power. Top level flexibility as there is no upper to speak of and thus not a single "trusstic bridge" or any other fancy doodad to get in the way of your feel. The medial and lateral holes by the heel are pre-struck: All you have to do is make a big/2nd toe hole. They recommend using a 1/8" hole punch. I didn't have one handy so I used a 1/8" soldering iron. Worked wonderfully! Tie the knot, seal with a bit of lighter play, and start lacing. Followed Steve Sashen's YouBloob DIY for tying the cords. This is where I encountered some minor annoyances: It's tough to get a perfect fit with the first try. Run in them and adjust as necessary. Still a work in progress.

The run was just over 7 miles (according to MapMyRun.com) and 56 minutes and change. I noticed a MUCH shorter stride with faster lift because the feel isn't quite as diluted as when I wear shoes or Vibrams. Nothing got caught between my foot or the sole. I do have a small pea sized blister on my left foot with the top of my left foot encountering a bit of rubbing from the cord. Again, this is because of the fit being a work in progress. I got the fit perfect with my right foot (the wider of the two) and had no issues. Or blisters. Or rubbing. Or whining.
The run was done entirely on asphalt roads and sidewalks so the lateral cord (heel area) started to display some noticeable wear on both feet. Just a touch of Shoe Goo black, and hopefully this solves that problem. Overall, a great purchase (affordable!!!) and a wonderful run. Recommend them for any activity that involves your feet. Enjoy!

Johnny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090