Introducing myself from the BC Interior

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by moominmamma, Nov 11, 2010.

1. moominmamma

moominmamma Barefooters
    1. Canada

Guess I should introduce myself too.

I'm Miranda, age 47, fairly new to running having done the Couch 2 5k program in March 2009. I increased my mileage fairly quickly through the summer of 2009 and by the fall got sidelined by a mysterious hip ailment that behaved like a stress fracture but didn't show up on a (rather delayed) bone scan. I had dabbled in barefooting during the summer, but as I gradually resumed running after a 3-4 month hiatus I moved more and more into the minimalist camp.

I'm currently using a combination of bare feet, VFFs and New Balance MT100s. And dealing with some Achilles tendonitis troubles. Running ~35k a week with my longest barefoot run sitting at about 12k to date.

I'm a family doctor (very part-time), a homeschooling/unschooling mom to four awesome kids, and a Suzuki violin / viola teacher. I live in a village of 600 in the southeastern interior of BC, a long way from proper cities (and races).

I have a blog where I post about simple living, unschooling, family adventures and running and anything else I feel like spouting off about. And another photo-a-day blog of our area that I'm trying to keep up with.

Goals:
    • enjoying running
    • avoiding injury
    • a barefoot half in 2011
    • marathon before I'm 50 ... maybe Vancouver 2011?
    Answers to YOW's questions:
    • no idea how to run bf in winter; hoping to draw on collective Canadian wisdom here!
    • love my Garmin 305 but rarely run with my iPod anymore; use the Garmin to log my distance these days, only checking my pace afterwards. Trying to run entirely by feel.
    Miranda

2. Kittyk

Kittyk Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. Georgia
    3. Indiana

Wow, you are one busy lady. I like the goals, it would be nice to see you in Vancouver. I think it's great that as we become more minimalist in our running, we start discarding the "tools" people use and we just run without the need to check about pace/mileage. It's as if we have found the secret of running - FUN.

3. miker

miker Chapter Presidents
    1. Oklahoma
    2. California...
    3. Canada

Miranda, welcome to the BRS!! Our family homeschools also. I see so many similarities between the misinformation of schools vs. homeschool and barefoot vs. shod. Pretty funny sometimes. Good running! :)

4. Vanessa Runs

Vanessa Runs Barefooters
    1. Canada

Ilove your photos Miranda!

5. Barefoot YOW

Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. International

Welcome Miranda,

Great photos and blog. I have a feeling that you are quite capable of running a marathon, based upon everything you have accomplished. It is apparent that your children have been blessed with love. Well done!!

A marathon is actually easy to run. (42,000 steps) I'd love to see a picture of you and Kitty crossing the finish line.

-YOW