Interviewed again by local paper. Fail # 2 for the Oregonian.

Joshh

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2010
Hey peeps,

Have a look at this article when y'all have a minute. It needs some comment back up. Pretty frustrating little bit of "journalism" http://tinyurl.com/4yo85pu

Thanks!

I left a  substantial comment

I left a substantial comment but it hasn't appeared yet. This was quite a bad story, given that the writer interviewed 4 or 5 people some of whom should have been able to give a lot more nuance to the piece.

In the meantime I see that at least one other commenter has contributed positively.

Great, thanks Stomper.  I was

Great, thanks Stomper. I was hoping for your voice in those comments.

One of my resolutions in life

One of my resolutions in life is "don't get involved in flame wars outside the BRS site" but I just couldn't resist that one.

ps. my comment may have been moderated out ! many others have appeared but mine hasn't. not sure why, as i didn't curse or anything. so my no-flame-war streak may still be on..

The story is basically the

The story is basically the same everywhere with these reporters. This statement is where I call Bullsh!t!

The hype about barefoot running attracted her. Though she researched online before purchasing barefoot shoes, Facteau has since realized the reviews were one-sided. Now that she’s learned the hard way, she wishes there had been more information about the potential harm from barefoot running.

SHE WASN'T RUNNING B A R E F O O T!!!!

I loved what Josh had to

I loved what Josh had to say.

Here's what I posted. Let's see if it shows up:

"The hype about barefoot running attracted her. Though she researched online before purchasing barefoot shoes, Facteau has since realized the reviews were one-sided. Now that she’s learned the hard way, she wishes there had been more information about the potential harm from barefoot running."

Hello. Sounds to me she wasn't running b a r e f o o t, so don't blame barefoot running on her injury.

There is a TON of info about easing into barefoot AND/OR minimalist running out there. Apparently, this runner didn't take the time and patience needed to run smart, so she's to blame for her own injury.

If this podiatrist sees 2 to 3 MINIMALIST runners (because you know these aren't BAREFOOT runners because there’s just not that many true barefoot runners out there) per month, how many traditionally shod runners does he see a month? Let's talk about all the stress fractures and tons of other injuries people who run in traditional running shoes experience each year. I would wager that this runner's stress fracture was due to her weakened bones and connective tissues from running (and living) in traditional footwear, and MINIMALIST RUNNING IN VFFS exposed this weakness when she chose to not listen to her feet through their muffled construction, once again, depending on the "shoe" to do the job for her, to get her through. This is why it is so important to relearn how to run with proper form using your own two BARE FEET before donning any footwear of any kind. Our plantar skin prevents us from running too far and too fast. We have found that our musculoskeletal system adjusts at about the same rate as our plantar skin which limits us (BAREFOOT RUNNERS) from becoming injured.

The facts, experience, and knowledge are out there. It’s up to us as runners to educate ourselves, practice patience, and listen to our soles.

And to the comment that running on natural surfaces is better for us is absolutely WRONG advice. Running on soft surfaces such as sand and grass do not teach someone how to run with proper form, since these surfaces are unpredictable and uneven. You need a solid surface such as asphalt or concrete, which will allow you to learn through repetition where to place your feet, how to place your feet, and how and where to distribute your weight. You cannot learn a lesson where the answer changes with each footfall, AND you can't learn how to run gently on something that is perceived to be gentle. You WILL learn how to run gently on a harder surface. (Remember when you were a child, and you trotted through a section of gravel barefoot? You immediately bent your knees to ease and lighten your step; the same goes for running on harder surfaces.) Also, with grass, there could be hidden debris you could step on or a hole you could turn your ankle in. Do not RELEARN how to run on soft surfaces. Save the soft surfaces for later, after you have learned to run gently with proper form.

Great comment TJ.  I hope it

Great comment TJ. I hope it and Stomper's don't get "moderated" out. From what the reporter told me, it sounds very much like the AV85 (run on soft surfaces) comment was written by the podiatrist she interviewed. Gutless dude can't even sign his real name.

And for the record, at no time did I ever say that I ran barefoot "on a track." The few times I ran BF in highschool was on dirt fireroads and asphalt.

I'm still waiting on

I'm still waiting on Stomper's and my comments to appear! Dabnabbit!

They took Jonny's comments

They took Jonny's comments already?! Good comments too, BTW.

Yeah, spot on Jonny.  Love

Yeah, spot on Jonny. Love the firestorm the Oregonian is feeling from the community. Hopefully this will motivate them to do a credible article.

my comment isn't there yet..

my comment isn't there yet.. my name was "slugbait2000". FYI the Oregonian is well known in Portland for aggressively moderating comments on its web site, so who knows what will happen?

I just posted, succesfully.

I just posted, succesfully. Here's a copy.

enjoy,

Mike

People are always saying we are not meant to run on man made surfaces, especially barefoot. In fact learning to run barefoot on hard man made surfaces is exactly the place you want to learn. A soft surface will absorb some of your downward energy while a hard surface will return more of that energy. A forefoot landing instead of heel striking is the optimal way to run. If you don't believe me just start bouncing on your toes. Very easy. Now bounce on your heels. Impossible. They were made for stopping while landing on your forefoot will turn your legs into springs. Just remember to keep your knees bent.

The problem Ms. Facteau had was she was in fact running in shoes, not barefoot. I know everyone thinks those toe shoes and other similar shoes called "barefoot shoes" equates with barefoot running. It doesn't. Not even remotely. By starting out completely barefoot your skin should stop you from doing more than your body can handle. Like any new exercise program you have to start lightly and go slow. With her "barefoot shoes" she muffled the nerves in her feet and didn't feel the pain until it was too late. Why don't people try typing with gloves on? Because its hard and would take too long to do. Why don't you go the movies with ear muffs? That's how running with shoes on compares to going completely barefoot.

People these days don't want to take responsibility for their actions. Its easier to blame someone or something else. To run barefoot you must take full responsibility. There are no shortcuts to relearning to run with good form. It takes time and patience. Leave the Ipod at home. Take off your shoes and start slowly down the street. Don't worry, there's not nearly as much glass as you think and if you do see some, don't step in it. Pay attention!

It's taking my one-liner

It's taking my one-liner comments and posting them immediately. I've asked them why they are not posting my comments in the thread, and it's actually posting my inquiries. Ha!

Yes, I am quite profcient at

Yes, I am quite profcient at taking what smart people say and regeuitating it! Haha! I actually worked on that longer than intended. It was hard to take all the biting sarcasm out of the first draft, but I didn't want to rep BFR.org or barefooters in general as "Some shoeless, angry, smart-ass"!

You know what...I think they just got some chick to take a pic with a boot on! How the hell do you break that bone unless you're crashing down on a tree root or kicking something...I don't get it!

-Jonny

migangelo wrote:people these

migangelo said:
People these days don't want to take responsibility for their actions. Its easier to blame someone or something else. To run barefoot you must take full responsibility.

Mike, your comment on that piece was awesome. The part about taking full responsibility is actually deep. Though with a lead like "people these days..." I can see you become a pretty cranky 71-year old. Sitting on the porch in your hardwood rocking chair, with your shotgun and bare feet, shouting "Get away from my granddaughter, boy!". :)

stomper wrote:migangelo

stomper said:
migangelo said:
People these days don't want to take responsibility for their actions. Its easier to blame someone or something else. To run barefoot you must take full responsibility.

Mike, your comment on that piece was awesome. The part about taking full responsibility is actually deep. Though with a lead like "people these days..." I can see you become a pretty cranky 71-year old. Sitting on the porch in your hardwood rocking chair, with your shotgun and bare feet, shouting "Get away from my granddaughter, boy!". :)

Awesome.

migangelo wrote:With her

migangelo said:
With her "barefoot shoes" she muffled the nerves in her feet and didn't feel the pain until it was too late. Why don't people try typing with gloves on? ..........That's how running with shoes on compares to going completely barefoot.

Brilliant.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts