International Barefoot Running Day

I think it might help to

I think it might help to contact local runners groups and clubs, too. A lot of them are holding their own BF seminars these days and they might help publicize the event. It's all running - it's all good!

Paleo, I have created a

Paleo, I have created a chapter called the International Chapter of the Barefoot Runners Society. I have added you as the Chapter Admin. All members would need to do to join this group is click the Join button. Membership is automatic after that. We can use this chapter for organizing all the international events, starting with this one. You can locate the chapter by clicking on the Chapters tab. Right now, it’s listed first; later, you may have to type in International in the Chapters Search Field to bring it up, or sort alphabetically to find it. http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/node/5834 Please feel free to use the Edit tab and define your chapter's home page, add images, info, etc., however you wish.

You may want to start creating an organization committee to help you iron out the fine details. You can add as many of them as Admins to this new chapter. All others will be observing members only but can contribute ideas via postings.

Paleo, you will want to contact each of the Chapter Presidents (CPs) through their email or PM icon, or delegate others to do so by dividing the workload up, which will make it easier on you, but be sure to keep track of which CPs respond and are willing/able to take part, and let me know which ones do not, so I can find a volunteer to take over this task in their area. We want as many locations involved as possible. If we let Kansas slide (for example only) then we are exposing a huge void in our network. The best way to contact each of the CPs AND keep track is to go to the Chapters tab, sort the list of chapter names alphabetically, click on the CPs link (screen name), then send a message to them through their profile. Just copy and paste a message, so you don't have to type it in each time. Very important!!!! If you choose to use the email icon, be sure to click in the check box for sending yourself a copy as well, so you will have a record of whom you have contacted. If you send a PM, the message will show up in your Messages link.

I will also add the main details of the event, once they are ironed out, to the BRS’s front page along with the winning tee shirt, where it will be stickied for as long as necessary.
When the time comes, in addition to the local press releases, we can contact Ken Bob, Rick, and Jason to have them send out the national (for the US) press releases, since they have the contacts. I have several good ones as well I’ve been collecting, so I will send a press release to all those on my list when the time comes.
Of course, we will have "that other forum," our many and ever-growing BRS Facebook pages, and twitter at our disposal.
Good idea, JT. Yes, everyone contact your local running clubs and online event schedules as well. I have lots of online running event schedules I can place the ad in for free, and most of you can probably find the same resources in your areas if you were to search the Internet for them. Paleo, please make sure those heading up their part of this event do so at least 2-3 months in advance.
AJB, as far as the tee shirt goes, let’s simplify things. Since we plan to have an annual International Barefoot Running Day AND an annual tee shirt contest, let’s combine them. Let’s have the tee shirt contest target designs specifically for the International Barefoot Running Day. I think this is what you were recommending as well?
For those who want a tee shirt for this day, they can order it from Zazzle, but they will have to pay for it themselves. Sorry guys. We should have enough time to get designs in, vote on them, and set them up for delivery from Zazzle by May 1. The tee shirts are “on demand.” We don’t have to print up a bunch ahead of time to have ready.
Let’s start the tee shirt contest January 1.
We can bring Soles 4 Souls on board. We can have donation bins at several of the larger events where runners can drop off their shoes. They also take cash donations. Mike, if you’re willing to act as liaison for this part of the project, I can hook you up with the right people. You are our Promotions Director after all. ;-)
We need to include all shorter distances (1K, 1M) up to a 5K; anything above that can be ran as well. The smaller distances will make more people feel welcome to take part in the event.
Running at noon, whenever your noon shall be, on a specific date makes more sense then trying to find a time that works in all time zones.
I live in the Bible Belt, which probably includes about 1/4 (I'm guessing) of the US, and people here just don’t typically run on Sunday during church. They’re at church. Most races take place on Saturdays. If we do hold a run on a Sunday, it would be best to hold it at noon, after most church services have let out and people have gone home to get ready. Of course, there are church services that don't let out until 11:00 a.m. or noon.
We are just a bunch of runners getting together for a friendly little run. The RRCA has been doing this for years. It’s called the National Run @ Work Day. They don’t have to have permits, because they know each group is on its own. Typically with groups that are very small, permits are not required anyway. We won’t need bibs, banners, and finish signs. For those ultimately on the planning committee, please refer to http://www.rrca.org/programs/run-at-work-day/ for more info and to get some really good ideas.

Thanks all! You guys rock!

Paleo, this is a great idea. 

Paleo, this is a great idea. The simplicity of it reminds me a lot of Worldwide Knit In Public Day, which has been a really successful grassroots "pride" and media event. It was started by knitters who felt self-conscious and looked down upon when they knitted in public... which way back in the hoary past of 2005 was not that uncommon.

In WWKIP, there's a central web page that helps set principles and boundaries, and coordinates local organizers. But it's the local organizers that do all the local work.

This could be a great opportunity to get the BRS name out there AND sell some merchandise to support the BRS. The BRS doesn't have shoes to sell, but if we make our shirts/etc as slick and sharp as they can be, they might even become a must-have item. Personally I'm thinking of something that (sort of mysteriously) just has the footprint logo with no words.

But the main point will be "empowerment," as in showing the world that people do this. And they're not disturbed or crazy. Well, some of them anyway. :beer:

Barefoot TJ wrote:paleo, I

Barefoot TJ said:
Paleo, I have created a chapter called the International Chapter of the Barefoot Runners Society.... {snip} I will also add the main details of the event, once they are ironed out, to the BRS’s front page along with the winning tee shirt, where it will be stickied for as long as necessary.... When the time comes, in addition to the local press releases, we can contact Ken Bob, Rick, and Jason to have them send out the national (for the US) press releases, since they have the contacts. I have several good ones as well I’ve been collecting, so I will send a press release to all those on my list when the time comes.

TJ, this event could be a very large one and attract many people out there who are not familiar with the BRS site. I think we could do all the organizing here on this web site as you've described it, but if Worldwide Knit In Public Day is any example, we will want a very clear static web page, or perhaps several of them, for members of the general public and press to visit months before the event. These people can use a simple one stop place to get info about this event, and I fear the BRS site might be a little too comprehensive for them. Something really simple without all the bells and whistles and forums. Naturally these few promotional pages will have a link "for more info about barefoot runing, go to the BRS."

I can help arrange a different web template or hosting service just for these promotional pages.

Sorry for jumping in here, but my sense is that May 1, 2011 might just be the perfect storm for barefoot running. Our infrastructure might need to be ready.

Paleo,Awesome idea.  I'm in

Paleo,

Awesome idea. I'm in and happy to help here in Europe. And I'll even volunteer my wife, Simone, who has lots of experience organizing big events like trade shows. She just started running barefoot, and she's pretty excited about it. One of these days she's going to log on here and join the BRS.

Also helps that you and I are in the same country. Let me know what we can do to get started.

In regards to the tshirt I

In regards to the tshirt I think we can EASILY combine it. We can do one of two things to make life really easy on that front. Either have the contest be explicitely for the international barefoot running day like you suggested.

Or just have it for the BRS but then simply add in some font saying the name and date of the international day. I think that would be a pretty easy add in regardless of tshirt design. We can put both versions in the store. That way people who just want a cool BRS shirt can buy that one and people who want one for advertising the international running day can buy that one.

Great, TJ.  Thanks for

Great, TJ. Thanks for setting the Intl. Chapter up, and for all the great organizational advice etc.

To those who have already offered their help, please join the international chapter as TJ suggests. I am going to see what kind of further feedback comes in over the next few days, then it will be time to get to work.

Maybe the 12:00 or 13:00 start is the way to overcome the church issue. In many corners of the US and the world, Sunday definitely produces better turnout, since the Saturdays are too full. In Germany, the shops are closed on Sunday, which means that all the shopping has to be done on Saturday. For much the same reason, election days are on Sundays in most of Europe.

I completely agree to make this as inclusive as possible. I discovered today that there are various "barefoot" organizations in Germany that have nothing to do with running. They are walkers or just public barefooters, usually promoting general health benefits and such. They, too, should be invited.

I agree with Stomper on the static webpage (which could be a sub-page of BRS, as far as I am concerned). But, we need a page where anyone can go, scroll or click to his/her locality and find the address of the run as well as perhaps the name of a local contact person.

And, Stomper, I am with you on the empowerment idea. I am in my heart a teacher. I love telling other people about the things that I am passionate about, and showing the world that it is cool to be passionate about things. Whether the world follows is the world's business.

I was chased down for the second time ever while running today. The guy turned out to be a new marathoner, who has been running just one year. He said that he had read and most enjoyed "Born to Run", but hadn't quite dared to try barefooting himself. After a few kilometers together, I think that I had opened the last lock for him. Just the example of it (at -1 C / 30F) was enough.

I am now really excited about this. It is great to see such positive resonance and willingness to make this happen.

Let's make it rock!

Cheers

Paleo

Once we have the majority of

Once we have the majority of the fine details, we can set up a dedicated page for the event on this site. This does not require membership to view. Paleo/All, just give me the details when you get them.

Now, what artwork to use to represent this page until we have voted on the final artwork for the tee shirt? Also, I suggest only BRS members get to vote on the shirt.

I assumed if we used this

I assumed if we used this site voting abilities that would be all it would let vote. Is that right or was that a bad assumption? Also I think we should start the contest before the first of Jan. if we want to give everyone two months to work on the shirts. I was sort of thinking the first week in Dec. unless this conflicts with something I'm not aware of?

The start date is up to you

The start date is up to you guys. I figured if we started on January 1, we would have plenty of time (4 months) to get things in order.

As far as the voting goes, of course only members of the BRS will be able to use the voting feature, but I wanted to put it out there for all to understand that the voting is for BRS members only, not BRS facebook fans, BRS twitter fans, etc. Of course, if "fans" would like to vote, they can always join the BRS as a member first.

Love the idea of 13:00 on a

Love the idea of 13:00 on a Sunday--I go to church, and we usually get out around noon, which seems to be a common time based on other churches I've attended.

I will do what I can to help

I will do what I can to help spread the word. BF is non existent here in HI from what I have seen. Only myself, and starting today, my wife. I am sure there are others out there and hopefully an event like this will help bring them out.

I am working on a project

I am working on a project plan, with which I got pretty far last night. My dates in it are fully consistent TJ's and AJB's comments above. But, for the rest of this week, I need to concentrate on my real work. I'll be active here again on the weekend.

Let's keep the feedback coming.

Cheers

Paleo

P.S. Professionally, I run a consulting and training company in the area of project management (among other things). It's kinda fun planning something solely fo the sake of it, and not because a customer is paying for it.

I'm in!Just thought I'd let

I'm in!

Just thought I'd let you all know I'm looking forward to participating and helping out as a local coordinator for Mexico!

I think this will be great to boost interest in my region and encourage membership in my Chapter, I think it'll show we're a part of something "bigger" and make us all feel connected.

(I'm also happy it's a long ways away so my tendintis has time to heal!! )

Thanks Paleo for the initiative and enthusiasm! Proud to be apart of this!