International Barefoot Running Day 2015

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by paulbeales, Feb 9, 2015.

1. paulbeales

paulbeales
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

The 5th annual International Barefoot Running Day (IBRD) is on Sunday, May 3rd.

The 2015 IBRD Pages are ready for use and all links are up-to-date.

Please think about organising an event in your area (or even just a run with friends and family.)

Visit the IBRD page (http://thebarefootrunners.org/pages/IBRD/) and locate the link to register your event. There's a lot of useful information here too, along with some links and ideas on how to get your event noticed.

We look forward to the Minnesota Chapter participating in this very important day!

Paul

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Thanks Paul,
    Not sure if I will be able to make it. Sunday is usually family day, but I would suggest Lake Harriet or Lake Calhoun as locales. They're both about three miles around I think, which is a manageable distance for most people, and are very public venues, which helps spread the message. And there are places nearby to get ice cream or drinks afterwards.

scedastic, Barefoot TJ and paulbeales like this.
  3. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Take your family with you, and make is a picnic, Mr. Lee! :barefoot:

Bare Lee and paulbeales like this.
  4. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

My family gives me a lot of crap about the whole barefoot thing. They think I'm crazy. Taking them to IBRD Day would be like a known drunk inviting his family to his favorite bar. I would not be met with approval.

It's OK though. When you marry someone from a different culture, you get used to a fair dose of misunderstanding and mutual incomprehension.

paulbeales and Barefoot TJ like this.
  5. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Both Harriet and Calhoun are good lakes for running around. The walking path around Calhoun is almost exactly 3 miles, and the one around Harriet is about 2.75. Calhoun has longer wide stretches of grass. Harriet has the rose garden and surrounding park for a good section of grass.

There are plenty of places nearby for eating/drinking. Both have good food and beverage service (alcohol included) with outdoor seating ("The Tin Fish" at Calhoun and "Bread and Pickle" at Harriet). Nearby are a variety of coffee and sandwich shops as well as full service restaurants and bars.

6. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Lee - That isn't limited to different cultures. I've experienced it plenty with people from right here! :)

Isn't the loop around Nokomis about 2.6 miles? That might be a possibility and there's a few decent places nearby for food (Fat Lorenzo's, 5-8 Club, etc).

Moose - do you know if any of those restaurants around Calhoun/Harriet are "Barefoot Friendly"?

7. paulbeales

paulbeales
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

I know that situation so well Lee. My wife only comes along if there's a nearby mall she can hide in :)

Bare Lee, Barefoot TJ and scedastic like this.
  8. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Yah, what I meant to say is that it's a bit easier to deal with the barefoot thing because there are so many other areas of misunderstanding--I've gotten used to it.

From a linguistic point of view, it's fascinating to track the underlying assumptions and pragmatic miscues, but as a social actor, it's often frustrating there's nothing I can do about it.

Misconceptions about barefooting (by relatively affluent people) are more universal in contrast.

Anyway, if Kyrrinstoch or Moose wants to take charge of organizing this event, I'd appreciate it.

Barefoot TJ and scedastic like this.
  9. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

WE NEED YOUR HELP! And 2015 IBRD Tee Shirts Are NOW Available!

You can support YOUR club, AND get a really cool tee shirt at the same time! Good deal, right?! The 2015 International Barefoot Running Day tee shirts are available in our club store (once there, scroll down): http://www.zazzle.com/barefootrunnerssoc

Keep in mind that you can choose the type of shirt (tank, muscle, short or long sleeve, etc.), the type of fabric (cotton, wicking, etc.), the color of your tee shirt fabric (the shirts display in the store as white, but you can choose black, pink, etc.,) and of course the size, etc.

(You can also put this image or any image on any of the merchandise sold in the store, canvas bags, buttons, stickers, etc.). Just create your product and order it.

So please, order yours soon, so you can have yours to wear on Sunday, May 3, 2015, IBRD Day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  10. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

Oops, I completely forgot about this. My kids hiked barefoot; does that count? And no, I didn't. Coulda woulda shoulda

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  11. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

I celebrated with Shingles and a narcotic!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  12. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

YIKES (on the shingles, not the narcotic).
    I know people who've had shingles. NASTY. IMA get me the vaccine even if insurance won't cover it and it's not as effective as some; just a better chance is worth it.

Did you have some other fatigue, illness, anything that might have brought it on?

I've heard the pain recovery can take a long long time. I hope very much you are NOT one of those cases.

Enjoy the drugs if you can.

13. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

My wife says I was stressed, but I dunno. I think sometimes the search for a cause is futile. I didn't feel like I was stressed anymore than normal, and I had been sleeping well, and getting good results from my strength training. I blame it on inconsistent running if anything.

Yah, that's the one thing I'm worried about, although the pain hasn't been too bad far. I had flu-like body aches in the affected area for a bout a week, mistakenly self-diagnosed as DOMS before the rash broke out, but since then, it has mostly felt like sunburn. I think I have a mild version, although my wife helpfully reminded me that I'm relatively insensate.

The drug was way too strong. I stopped taking it after a day, and switched to Ibuprofen. Now I'm selling them on Ebay keeping them for an emergency. It was fun to sleep for a day and a half though. Is that what heroine addicts do--sleep? I'm sure the bedrest helped kickstart the antiviral healing process.

Anyway, might start walking today, hopefully I can lift some weights and do a little running soon.