International Barefoot / Minimalist run 2011

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Martyn, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Martyn

Martyn Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. United Kingdom
    3. International

The Barefoot Runners Society are organising an international barefoot orminimalist run on the 1st of May 2011. As president of the United Kingdom Chapter, I have been tasked with trying to organise the UK portion.

It will start at 1300. I am in the process of finding out if this is GMT or not.

The run should be either 1km or 5km.

The deadline to get proposed locations back to BRS is the 15th Jan 2011.

Please can you let me know of anywhere you would like to see this happen. Perhaps you do a 5km route and would like to run it on 1st of May.

Let me have your ideas as soon as possible and i will see what seems to be a central point for all of us.

Spread the word, lets make this massive.

Martyn

2. bftldn

bftldn Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

It would be great to get this going! London would be best for me...

3. Martyn

Martyn Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. United Kingdom
    3. International

bftldn

I am currently gathering names and proposed locations for this event. South of the country looks most promising at the moment.

4. Aranya

Aranya Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

1st May would give me a great incentive to get running properly again. I have my fivefingers, 15 years of real barefooting almost all the time & all the information I need. I just have noone here in East Devon to share the journey with, so a run to get ready for would be ideal...

I too have a history of running a lot until mid-20s & then repetitive knee injuries that forced my retirement. I'm about to be 47, but excited about finding that joy of running again.

Keep me informed!

5. Martyn

Martyn Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. United Kingdom
    3. International

Aranya.

I hope for your sake and for the sake of all the others like you, we can get this thing off the ground.

The run on the 1st of may is nothing formal. Its just to turn up and have a go with a lot of other like minded people. There should be a choice of 1k or 5k and maybe anything inbetween.

I will be issuing chapter postings when i know more and also keeping our United Kingdom chapter page on Facebook up to date.

Watch this space.

Martyn

6. Aranya

Aranya Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thanks Martyn,

It's still good to have something to aim for...
    Everyone have a great midwinter solstice & Christmas holiday.

Best wishes,

Aranya

7. tavis69

tavis69 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hiya, I'm in South Wales and would be interested in this. How about Reading as a location? I used to live there, however I'm not sure where we could run. One location which sprung to mind was Green Park. It's a bit of a misnomer as it's a business park, but it should provide enough smooth-ish pavement for a 5k. It's also very close to the Madejski Stadium park&ride, which itself is very close to M4 J11.

Cheers, Tavis

8. Martyn

Martyn Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. United Kingdom
    3. International

Travis.

Thanks for your input.

I have had a bunch of replies to go through from interested parties on this subject. The vast majority are from the south of the country, unfortunate for me as I live in Nottingham. The location for the event at the moment is looking like Brighton, but this needs confirmation.

Should be nice in May.

Keep watching here and on facebook for up dates.