Inflammation in Achilles/Ankle area

PB Junkie

Barefooters
Oct 31, 2011
Idaho
My ankle area, particularly in and around the posterior tibial tendon area, is very inflamed. The soreness extends almost completely around the foot, to include the Achilles. There is pain and significant swelling. I can walk with minor pain, running has become too painful.

Doc said he doesn't think there is a tear, but significant inflammation and diagnosed synovitis. He suggested anti-inflammatories and an ankle brace for a week then if its better , great, if not, go to a walking boot.

I am not going to take the anti-inflammatories.

What do you think of the ankle brace? My thought is that it will just contribute to the weakness. I'm not running right now and don't see the benefits of using a brace.

My intended course of action is not to run while the swelling is so bad, but to stay active via stationary bike and non-impact activities. What are your thoughts?

My $.02..................................

I agree that braces can promote weakness, however using them temporarily to provide a better healing environment may make a lot of sense. A cast will make your arm weaker if it's worn forever, however if the arm is broken it needs some external support so it can get better. When the basic tissues are healed THEN take away the support and get things moving and strong again.

So I wouldn't reject out of hand a brace. It might really help get on the front end of the healing power curve and give things a head start - enabling things to just calm down. The constant movement of the foot may just continue to aggravate that tendon and a brace would reduce that movement.

Jim

Reactions: Dr Emily Splichal
Ditto on the anti-inflammatories. Drugs have a purpose in some situations, and reducing inflammation after an injury is one of those situations. You don't have to use them long term. Just use them to help your body jump-start the healing process.

Hello PB -

You just got some great advice from Jim and BFRazorback!

When I see a patient for an acute condition such as tendonitis, tenosynovitis, capsulitis etc. - to fully recovery it must be addressed in two ways.

1. Reducing the inflammation - this is what's causing your pain and actually preventing the soft tissue from healing
2. Reducing the stress on the tissue - so that it can fully repair itself

For reducing inflammation I give patients an option - either oral anti-inflammatories - or my preference - topical. Topical anti-inflammatories are great for the foot & ankle, have less side effects - and if your Dr has access to compounding pharmacies - you can actually get topical meds with more benefit than just your classic COX inhibition.

If you still refuse to use oral and topical anti-inflammatories, I would at least recommend icing or natural anti-inflammatories such as bromelain (from pineapples).

For reducing stress on the tissue, the ankle brace is so important! The more you continue to move an irritated and inflamed tendon or tissue the more disrupt the fragile blood vessels and cells which make the area stronger.

You do not need to be running to re-irritate the tendon and slow healing - even daily activities such as walking or going up/down stairs without the brace is going to slow your recovery time.

I recommend event 1 week of committed use of the brace and anti-inflammatories will do wonders in the recovery of this injury. The more you try to short - cut it the longer things will drag out! After a week, see how you feel and slowly begin to introduce activity.

Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful replies! I have been wearing the brace and the inflammation has been greatly reduced, except for a knot in the posterior tibial tendon area. It looks like I have a regular ankle again instead of a "cankle". I appreciate your insightful responses.

Reactions: Dr Emily Splichal