Increasing distance? Thoughts please Australia

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Highlander11, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

G'day all, just signed up to this blog site, looking forward to learning from you guys out there.
    First question from me, what advice would anyone have to increase my distance?
    I have been regularly training up to thirty minutes in either barefoot on the beach, or vibram five fingers treadmill or local trails. The reason I am hesitant to increase is due to an injury that I received when training for my local Ross Marathon. Long story cut short, I would regularly cramp in my right calf at around 8km/35 minutes. Many discussions and appointments later, a number of factors contributed, from slight scoliosis, inwardly rotating my feet and one foot having less dorsi flexion than the other = cramp sensation!
    I am more than confident my fitness is still there, but welcome any advice you barefoot runners might have on how to slowly proceed (or maybe the problem was the shoes all along).

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Nopp

Nopp
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

Hi Highlander 11
    Did you try interval Training?
    For me interval works to improve bit by bit. Long distance runs are nice to do, they give a lot of satisfaction. For improvement and training I would go for a schedule with intervals.

3. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

8km/35mins? Sounds like you're running too fast. :)

I don't have any Earth-shattering advice other than building up slowly, and perhaps more slowly than you think is necessary. I've had a bit of a history over the last few years of niggles and injuries despite the fitness getting to where I needed it to be confident to push for a marathon, so I know the feeling. It's a little frustrating.

One thing I have tried as part of my recovery from a stress fracture I picked up early last year is a bit of run-walk-run type training, and I'm becoming a bit of a convert. It's definitely a way to build longer distances with less stress on the body and hopefully fewer injuries. I did a local 10km fun run just after Christmas with a 5 minute run/1 minute walk ratio and felt much better at the finish than my usual condition, and didn't lose too much time. A mate of mine who is a seasoned marathon runner swears by it - he said he's ran lots of them, some under 3 hours, and the one when he used a run-walk strategy was the only one he's done where he felt fine in the aftermath.

rb2001, KTR and Highlander11 like this.
  4. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Cheers Nopp, easy runs during the week then longer on the weekend, I'm going to try increasing mileage 10% every couple weeks

5. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Thanks Larry, my 8km/35minutes was during my marathon training pre barefoot. I did my first 10km barefoot on the weekend in just under an hour...that feels more like it

6. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Highlander,
    As Larry mentioned above, just take your time, this isn't something to rush. I would say it took me 2 years to retrain my running style after running in shoes for 30 years. I am hitting my 7th year barefoot and now don't think of wearing shoes except if its below around 8C and it makes my feet numb so it's pointless running barefoot with numb feet.
    If you run barefoot on the bitumen or concrete it will be the soles of your feet that get sore before your calves so in a way it acts as a regulator, stops you doing too much.

Neil

rb2001 and Sly like this.
  7. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Welcome!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  8. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Cheers Neil, appreciate your insight. Really just trying to take things slow...but incredibly keen to push myself too (I'll keep that for the gym and focus on stride length and foot strike in the meantime)

9. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Highlander,
    I think the cadence and short stride length are some of the best injury avoidance tips. I find that I put more strain on my joints when I run with a longer stride rather than speeding up my cadence. It isn't as tiring I find when I remember to keep a shortened stride.

Neil

rb2001 likes this.
  10. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Good call Neil, trying a few things out. I've got a 5km run on Sunday, it'llbe tricky to not go flat out!, I'll see how i go.
    My feet and calves feel like they are constantly recovering from a work out just now, constant leg day! Good feeling, just hope I'm not 'over-training' since part of the reason for this is to remain injury free
    Cheers Neil!

rb2001 likes this.
  11. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Not sure if you're already doing this, but if your calves are sore you might find some relief with a foam roller/massage roller/ kitchen rolling pin after your runs - I noticed a bit of improvement with my calves after I started rolling them with a rolling pin a couple of years back, so I try to do it after every run.

Nopp and Highlander11 like this.
  12. Nopp

Nopp
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

I massage my calves with heating massage oil once or twice a week. Don't know if it really works but it feels good to focus on the relaxation of my calves. And I think it works.

13. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

If you think it works...it works

rb2001 likes this.
  14. skedaddle

skedaddle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Sore calves are often the cause of pushing off instead of lifting up, that way your whole body weight is being absorbed by your calves, ergo they break down after a short time.
    Imagine a piece of string tied around your knee then imagine pulling it up keeping your feet and calves as relaxed as possible and your core engaged.
    You can often spot a fully transitioned barefoot runner a mile off by their relaxed, almost sitting bent knee style, lifting instead of pushing.
    Dehydration can also be a cause of cramping.

kalipyjamas, rb2001 and Sly like this.
  15. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I like it skedaddle! I've only just finished a 5km with my local club, and I can certainly say I pushed it a little too much, going for more of a ' kick the door ' approach rather than knee lift. Really appreciate your thoughts, I've got some work to do (I'm back to enjoying running though!!!)

skedaddle likes this.
  16. Nopp

Nopp
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

I think I'm doing this wrong to. I'll try your advise next time I'm going to run.

Highlander11 likes this.
  17. skedaddle

skedaddle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

This helped me a lot when I started out, driving from the knees.

Highlander11 and Nopp like this.
  18. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Got myself a foam roller today. My 5km was foolishly too fast for what i am trying to do...i reckon i was over striding trying to get a good time where i should have been concentrating on form. Hopefully lesson learnt, and i must say the roller sure does hit the spot...and make me go through the roof!

Nopp likes this.
  19. Highlander11

Highlander11
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Great video and fantastic website, cheers skedadle!

Nopp and skedaddle like this.
  20. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

OOh better late than never!! :) I agree with Skeds and Neil - too much too fast. You don't just aquire great form overnight simply by taking off your shoes... there are years of ingrained muscle memory and technique which needs gradually unpicking and rebuilding. overstriding, cadence, pushing instead of lifting... will all manifest in varying forms on your journey unless you make a really conscious effort to change your form. Which in itself is frustrating - hence why I suppose so many people get injured from "giving barefoot a go"
    Barefoot Ted's answer for everything is BEND ZEE KNEES!!! :) But it works :)

I reckon you need to get off the lovely sand and grass and pavement... where it is way too easy to hold onto old style... find yourself the roughest gravelliest unfriendly shit you can ..... and THEN you will learn good form :)
    Good luck!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Highlander11 likes this.