Increased leg strength?

Christopher Alexander

Barefooters
Dec 30, 2011
Hey guys,

I've noticed a lot of new strength in my upper legs, quadriceps and in my lower legs, calfs, since I started running barefoot. Is this normal? 8)

When I went to the gym today to do some ab exercises, I was doing crunches on a decline ab bench, and I noticed I could hold my whole body in a complete horizontal plank, with my feet secured in the foot holds. It felt awesome!

I don't know what was different about my last barefoot run, but I definetly felt a good leg workout, and like I said above, about 4 days later, I feel way stronger!

Anyways, cheers and happy barefooting!

more you, less shoe... yeah,

more you, less shoe... yeah, I think it's possible that BF could give you a more overall workout than cushioned shoes. But then, some shoes are like running on a wobble board, so it could be dependent on where you were, what you were doing beforehand.

Just go with it, man! Sounds good so far :)

I feel stronger in my legs,

I feel stronger in my legs, for sure.

At first, it was just in my calves, since I think I was abusing them with too much forefoot.

Now, after a good run, everything feels like it's been worked. I definitely feel like I get better leg workouts with fewer miles when bf. A potential selling point for bf?

If you're running with your

If you're running with your legs bent more that's going to give your quads more of a workout. Heel striking with shoes can use a straighter leg and gives the quads less of a workout. I think I've read other people say that too.

Years ago I did mostly bicycling for exercise and the wife commented that my legs looked great. Then I switched to mostly shod running and the wife said they didn't look as good. What I noticed was my vastus medialis was a lot less defined, atrophied even. Now, after about a year BF/min, my vastus medialis is making a comeback. Haven't heard from the wife yet though.

Just going barefoot really

Just going barefoot really tones up your leg muscles. I went barefoot almost 24/7 for 3-4 months before starting any regular walking or running, and my calf muscles still got WAY more defined than they ever have before.

I don't know about making

I don't know about making your muscles actually stronger, since you're just supporting your body weight. However, since you are now using muscles you weren't before, you're certainly going to be able to perform better. More muscle recruitment = more overall strength.

My GF says that my abs are

My GF says that my abs are looking much more defined since I started BFR. Part of that is the 15 pounds that I shed, the rest is the workout abs and quads get keeping the posture in line. Or so I think.

Hey JosephTree, On one of

Hey JosephTree,

On one of my previous barefoot runs, I was sprinting, and after I finished sprinting, I noticed my abs felt a bit sore, not a bad sore, but like they had a workout, it wasn't as intense like a full blown ab workout, but I definetly noticed. This is something that has never occured to me EVER, on a normal run with shoes.

my legs still may be thin but

my legs still may be thin but they are definitely more muscular. i can see the definition in them and have notice that at least my calves have grown, ever so slightly. my thighs also get sore in most of my pants like they're constricted but i won't want to go up in waist just yet to have more comfortable legs.

migangelo wrote:my legs

migangelo said:
my legs still may be thin but they are definitely more muscular. i can see the definition in them and have notice that at least my calves have grown, ever so slightly. my thighs also get sore in most of my pants like they're constricted but i won't want to go up in waist just yet to have more comfortable legs.

Perhaps stop wearing the skinny jeans like all the middle schoolers? maybe that would help?

janson wrote:migangelo

janson said:
migangelo said:

Perhaps stop wearing the skinny jeans like all the middle schoolers? maybe that would help?

Lol!!! Mike, you're too old for skinny jeans! Janson might be able to get away with it because that is almost his era but Mike, nope too old.

janson wrote:migangelo

janson said:
migangelo said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ha funny. i tried some on

ha funny. i tried some on when i bought some new jeans the other week. omg. i would've had to be a teenager to fit in those. no way to do it now. can't get the pants over the package.
wink.png

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS