In the deep snow...

Nyal

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Today it snowed again. Now we have a lot to deal with around these parts. I have already been out in the deep powder twice with the scuba booties (best snow running shoes ever, PERIOD) and noticed that this winter the deep runs on the trails are much easier than they were last year. There must be something about the running technique. Something about never pushing the legs forward or maybe the snow keeps the feet landing behind CoG. Whatever it is has anyone else noticed this?

I will go hit those trails now.

I have noticed this too, I

I have noticed this too, I was out with my running group yesterday, and all of them were having a tough time with traction, slipping and deep snow in general (they were all wearing running shoes). I was literally tip toeing thru the deep snow and on the hard packed trails in my Zem's with no issue. It is definitely easier to maintain traction and forward momentum with a barefoot form. Once we got to the sidewalks and road portion of the run, off came the Zem's and barefoot I went, passing the majority of the slipping and sliding shoad runners. I figure I might have some more converts by the end of the winter.

Yeah, i've noticed a definite

Yeah, i've noticed a definite benefit of barefoot style on traction and balance. A few weeks ago three of us in Portland went on a difficult hilly mud run and no one fell over four incredibly slippery steep miles.

It could be the shorter steps that BF style uses; it could just be a general engagement with the terrain that you don't get in foamy shoes.

I think it's both of those

I think it's both of those things, Stomper. We are just so much more closer and connected to the ground and the terrain, we move more with the earth than against it.