IN/South Bend - Sunburst Races

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by scootermachorn, Apr 25, 2011.

1. scootermachorn

scootermachorn Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Indiana

Date: Sat 06/04/11 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM EDT
    Link: Sunburst Races

"From the Hall of Fame to Notre Dame" ... the finish line for all races is the 50-yard line of the Notre Dame football stadium. Registration ends Tuesday, May 31.

6 P.M. (Friday, June 3): Family Fun Walk 6 A.M. (Saturday, June 4): Marathon 7:15 A.M.: 5K Run7:30 A.M.: Half Marathon7:45 A.M.: 10K Run9 A.M.: 5K Fitness Walk
    I'm running the 5K barefoot.

2. Smelph

Smelph Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Michigan -...

sounds cool! will have to look into it once I find out how busted up I am after the Kalamazoo Marathon! ;)

3. barefoottim

barefoottim Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Indiana
    3. International

So how long have you gone barefoot and what is your longest run to date? I've done 4 miles barefooted and 8 miles in vff. Would like to do a 10k and a half marathon this fall .Fort wayne has a half in the fall.

4. scootermachorn

1. Michigan
    2. Indiana

I started running just last summer and have done all my running either barefoot or in VFFs. My longest run so far is just over 4 miles.

5. Smelph

Smelph Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Michigan -...

A half in the fall doesn't seem unrealiztic. I'll have been BF/Min for 7 months when I do the Kalamazoo in a couple weeks (been going dangerously close to overuse in order to do it though). My longest BF run is about 21 miles.

6. barefoottim

barefoottim Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Indiana
    3. International

I'M IMPRESSED. 21 MILES BF. THATS GREAT. MY METATARSAL STARTED TO HURT SO I TOOK TWO WEEKD OFF. YOUR DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. WHAT ISSUES HAVE YOU RUN INTO BY GOING BF?

AND WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR COMMENT TO OTHERS ABOUT WHERE YOUR SHOES ARE? I'M THINKING OF DOING THE SUNBURT IN JUNE. HAVE YOU DONE THAT RACE? LATER.TIM

7. Smelph

Smelph Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Michigan -...

thanks! the main issues I've had have had to deal with ankle strength. since I've been kind of pushing the envelope, pretty much every long run has had a point where my ankles just get worn out and stiffen up. fortunately the distance where it happens keeps getting longer, so it's worked out OK.

since I have been training in the winter the other major issue has been the cold/snow. I spent a lot of time in either VFFs or Merrell Trail Gloves, but took off the shoes whenever I had dry roads to run on. Since it's gotten warmer I think I've only worn shoes a couple times.

Up until a couple weeks ago I carried my shoes and a water bottle in a backpack, so that was usually my answer. Sometimes I'd say punk teenagers stole my shoes though ;) Lately I've been tucking them into a belt, which has been a bit better since it's lowered the extra weight to my waist instead of having it up on my back.

haven't done sunburst, but it sounds like a fun race. might try some portion of it if things go smoothly while recovering from the Kalamazoo.

8. marathonDon

marathonDon Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Indiana

Hey guys,

I did the Sunburst back in 2009 and I enjoyed the race. Running into the stadium was cool as was the start in front of the Hall of Fame. I would say well worth it.

I wanted to pipe in on the issues I have had running barefoot. I had the same issue with the ankles but mine are continuously getting stronger. I did the Monumental half barefoot last fall before I left for the paradise here and only ended up with a little blister. That is a great race and was my 3rd time running the race but my first only doing the half. I have only been barefooting for a year now but it has been inconsistant recently. I love it and hope to get back to it when I get home.

I am in Kabul, Afghanistan and only have a 1k loop to run around and the Army frowns on barefoot running. I do most of my runs in KSO's with the ocassional barefoot run.

I am hoping to meet up with you guys when I get back!

9. dmcchesney

dmcchesney Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. California...
    3. Australia

Thank you for serving and keeping us safe and free!!

10. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

and take care over there! -TJ

11. barefoottim

barefoottim Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Indiana
    3. International

thank-you so much for what you are doing and what you represent. Prayers will be for you.

let me introduce myself. I'm Tim And live in N.E. Indiana. I've been barefoot running since September and just really love it. I started out in vff kso's. but quickly went barefoot. I've been going really slow as I have a tendency to over do it and go way to fast and to far. My fastest mile has been a 7 min. mile,but My ave. both bf and in vff stay around a 8:20 to 8:30. I love getting outdoors on a bike or on a run. Keep in touch. Tim

12. dmcchesney

dmcchesney Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. California...
    3. Australia

How barefootable is the full?

13. barefoottim

barefoottim Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Indiana
    3. International

will you be doing the sunburst?

14. scootermachorn

1. Michigan
    2. Indiana

Yes, the 5K.

15. dmcchesney

dmcchesney Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. California...
    3. Australia

I might have myself, another bfr, and a shod friend coming down for the half. how barefootable is the course?

16. khyricat

khyricat Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. Michigan
    3. Ohio

Will have to look into this one if a bunch of us will be down there.. My SIL is a prof at IUSB, so I even have a local place to crash... I'd probably be looking at the 10K... MAYBE the 5...

17. Smelph

Smelph Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Michigan -...

We're looking into it as well. Colleen likes that it's semi-close to home and is excited about finishing at notre dame stadium (her dad is an alum), so if we wind up having to decide between that and the lilac festival I have a feeling sunburst will win.

18. khyricat

khyricat Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. Michigan
    3. Ohio

I had a ball running with Colleen... it was nice to run with someone who goes about the same pace.. I'm going to aim for being a bit better prepared (and NOT SICK) and doing the 10K instead as I have run up to 4 miles.. not sure I'll get it all bare or not, that will depend a bit on MI weather warming up so I can run more miles bare beforehand.

19. dmcchesney

dmcchesney Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. California...
    3. Australia

How barefootable is this course?

I'm running the Half

20. barefoottim

barefoottim Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Indiana
    3. International

Sorry,but the sunburst or the one in Fort Wayne ,in Sept.