Improving, I think. But I'm s l o w

ladycheshire5

Barefooters
Aug 16, 2011
Just thought I'd share. I timed myself today and jogged most all of my route, except for the very start and downhill descent. I timed myself by checking the clock as I walked out of the house and again coming in so I used 27 min out and back so that includes my waits at the light (2) to cross a very busy street. Total miles 1.62, at 27 min gives me about a 16:41 mln/mi avg pace. :-/ Not all that accurate but I'm happy that I jogged most all of it and had NO pain! I've been mixing walking and jogging as needed on a ~2.5mi route depending how my feet felt. So, today after being off for 3 days I felt pretty fresh and didn't stop to walk at all.

I've been told that even though I might feel good for now I can't over do it still. So, I'm not going to run out and do 5 miles tomorrow but maybe I'll do this route over again a few times without stopping and see how I feel. I'm guessing if I can repeat this without pain I can start increasing my distance. (oh and blisters are a thing of the past! yay)

And I need a better way to time/track myself. I used to use iMapMyRun on my iPhone (strapped to my arm) for my runs but I got so frustrated with it because it wouldn't always pick up the GPS right away and who wants to sit there and wait to start your run for a stupid cellular service!? When it worked it was good. Resorted to just looking at the clocked on my way out and in, then logging manually on the website.

L

Hey Cheshire, I did 1.62

Hey Cheshire, I did 1.62 miles myself this morning. A suggestion with letting your phone find GPS. What I do is while I'm getting ready, I set my garmin outside on my back balcony so it can acquire the satalites by the time I am ready to run. Good luck and happy running!

I forgot that I also have a

I forgot that I also have a Garmin and also had the same problems. I will give your suggestion a try and do this again tomorrow. :) thanks

Laura

Wonderful you are doing so

Wonderful you are doing so well. You're taking it easy, and that will definitely get you there. That's a good tip about setting the Garmin out too. When I used to wear mine, I did this for cold days too when I wanted to run around my neighborhood but didn't want to stand around waiting for the thing to download.

Good for you!  It's a good

Good for you! It's a good feeling when you stop getting blisters!!

Before I bought my Garmin, I would use google maps to map my rout and then just any old watch with a stop watch on it can tell you how long. I'm actually pretty addicted to the heart rate and pace feature now, though! I do the leave it outside thing too, when I run in my neighborhood.

What's your goal? Will you be running any races in the future? 1 mile fun run is already in reach! ;o)

-Jonny

No blisters and no pain.

No blisters and no pain. Yay!

It certainly sounds like your on the right track.

My advice... don't worry about the lack of speed. Just enjoy what your doing and have fun. There is much more to love about BF running, and running in general, than that which can be derived from watching a clock. If your new to this... and like I was last year relatively new to running period it can take a while for your body to adapt. Rushing things is usually a recipe for disaster.

It's okay to track your workouts and progress and it's great to have goals... just listen to your body first and you'll be okay.

BTW... I also use a Garmin... I also turn it on put it in a open spot for few minutes before each run while I do some warm up type exercises... works like a charm.

S. Pimp.

Thank you everyone for the

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. :) I attempted to use my iMapMyRun from my phone this morning and did what y'all said and left it on and out and the GPS did pick up before I was ready to head out. BUT.... I didn't bother to check along the way and when I got back and looked at it - was back on the home page not tracking a route! I pushed "record a workout" again and it asked me if I wanted to resume the previous so I pushed yes, it went back to the map with the little dot at home and NO line of my route anywhere. But there were numbers, time/distance (I think) so I clicked save to see what it did get... then it went to an ad and stuck there. No way out of that so I had to shut off the application and when I went back to check my log of workouts - of course the one I just did wasn't there. This is why I ditched this thing so long ago. It's so unreliable. Even if you pick up the GPS it can get lost along your route and there's nothing you can do about it, just a gap in your workout lost. I don't have the money for those fancy programs that upload to your computer - but it's sure would be nice. Tracking woes aside... and the weather might have something to do with it...

Today was a beautiful 62 degrees, cloudy and WET... missed the heavy rain from early this morning and got to run in light mist and on very wet ground. My absolute favorite kind of run. :D Same distance as yesterday (same route anyway) and I know I was faster (I know it doesn't matter) but I don't know for sure my time. Still no pain and no blisters! :D

Jonny, my goals... My goals this year were these: I was preparing for a half marathon in June and I knew after that event I was going to go minimal shoes. I knew that was going to be a huge change and would take a while to acclimate to. I surprised myself and impulsively went barefoot and loved it! :D My goals are to be able to run like I did in shoes, barefoot. I told my friend I was hoping to complete that same event next year barefoot. That might be a little much ... not sure how quickly I can add distance in the near future? Now more recently my boyfriend and I were discussing the Tough Mudder in July 2012. So, if you were looking for organized events goals those are two. Personal goal - simply to run like I did in shoes, barefoot. Meaning 4-5 days/week running at about 3-5 miles... and in my new town add in some killer hills. :D And for the personal goals... there really isn't a time frame except there is my own drive and impatience. ;)

That sucks that your phone

That sucks that your phone failed you, but at least you were able to be out running and felt faster with no blisters! I have yet to use my phone as a tracking device for my runs, I use my Garmin, but I did download a free ap the other day called micoach and plan on trying that out, just haven't yet. You having problems with GPS makes me nervous now for that as I really like to know my distance and hr and stuff like that.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. :p

I need to look into other apps... I was using iMapMyRun because I started with the website and wanted everything connected and together. At this point I just want something that works and is reliable. There is RunKeeper too, I know a few people who use that. I'm not sure it's the application or the service that makes it cut out.

I am very pleased with the

I am very pleased with the iPhone App "Runtastic". It has a free version with ads, but you can kill the ads for just 79 cents.

I have one little gimmick to bridge you through the transition....

Start measuring your runs in metric! 1.62 miles is about 2.5 Kilometers. The conversion is .61 miles to 1 Km. So, running a 10 minute mile is about a 6 minute kilometer. See how much nicer that sounds?

Of course, you'll get used to it, and the effect will wear off. But, by then you'll be cruising.

Seriously, your feet and lower legs will thank you for your patience. Remember, a TMTS injury will set you back longer than any benefit you might get by pushing it.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers

Paleo

P.S. Little known fact: Congress passed a (non-binding) resolution in the 1930s making metric the official measuring system of the US.

I used the Runtastic App this

I used the Runtastic App this morning and it was great. I don't know what causes one app to work better than another on the same phone/service provider? The weather was the same if not more cloudy today. As soon as the app opened I got a GPS signal - it was fast! No waiting just for the app itself to load. :D The only thing that was a problem was it was in km and I set it for mi when I set up my account last night. But, changed that setting after the fact and I can see all my stats from today in miles/feet so no big deal. The other issue was I couldn't figure out how to pause the session. So, it ran through the errands I had to run - to the atm the to coffee shop (long story I didn't get coffee) - then home so again my pace isn't accurate but still faster than Mondays. Today was ave pace of 15:29. Light rain on the way back. I went a longer distance today because I needed to multitask :-/ But, I feel good, no pain, no blisters. I'll be back to the shorter route tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip on the app so far it's great.

I used Runkeeper before I

I used Runkeeper before I bought my Garmin 305. I love that app, just not the size of my iPhone for a run. (though that watch is not much smaller! LOL) I like the fact that you can set runkeeper to tell you what you want to know, when you want to know it. If you want to be told you speed, pace, avge speed, avge pace, distance, time, etc, you just set it to do so based on mileage or time. Then at the end of your work out, there is both a graph and a google map showing you how fast you went in which minute of the run and the rout you took on a map. Pretty cool! Then you can upload it to FB if you want to share your run with your friends. You can also pause and set up coaching programs. ;o) Worth a look.

-Jonny

I also downloaded RunKeeper.

I also downloaded RunKeeper. I set up an account a while back on the web. Haven't used the app yet. You should check out Runtastic for sh*ts and giggles (even though you might not use it since you have a nice garmin) ;) it's nice. Does all the same stuff you just mentioned. I figured out how to pause it afterwards. It's new to me so it's just about figuring it out. Probably the same thing with RunKeeper. And I think I'll try that too to see how it does. I'm so over iMapMyRun, been way too disappointing.

You see, even Runtastic knew

You see, even Runtastic knew about the metric trick :). Glad you like it. It was the first and the last that I tried. I haven't bothered with an online account, so I don't know about that. I certainly don't need the vanity feature of broadcasting my runs to the world.

As you probably saw, you can even buy a HRM thingy to record your beats. The only thing that I miss is a lap button for recording good only fashioned stopwatch-like laps (since I do intervals of varying distances, and not always on an exact Km point).

Cheers

Paleo

Used RunKeeper today. It

Used RunKeeper today. It worked just fine in the end but I don't see an elevation chart and the map looks like it was on crack and it just skipped a whole half block of my route but managed to still get the total distance correct. I did like the voice feature telling me the time, distance and my pace every 5 minutes (on a short jaunt this is fine working up to longer runs I'll have to change that or it'll get annoying).

Today was a chilly 55 degrees, dry ground with a lot more debris than usual, I assume washed up and around from the rain storm we had yesterday. No problems though. :) It was a bit cold for me at first, on my feet, toes were a little achy but about 0.6 of the first mile in it was all better and I finished easy.

Total distance 1.62mi, took me 19:23mins, my avg pace was 11:58. I felt very good. However, I just noticed a little blister on the outside ball of my left foot right where my big toe would fold when curling under. Not too bad but the idea is to not have blisters and blisters mean I did something wrong. :-/

Overall it was a great two days. Was embarrassed to say I ran a total of 3.8mi yesterday... slowly (15.29min/mi).

I just remembered how I got

I just remembered how I got that blister... and it looks like a blood blister. THere was an uneven portion in the road at some point in my complex it goes from black top to cobble stone and the cobble stone was raised and I don't usually catch it but Idid today and that was like kicking it right in the spot I have the blister and then a bit of a scraping of the bottom of my foot.
puzzled.png

Glad you had a good run

Glad you had a good run Laura! I wonder if you lost GPS signal for that block if that's why it skipped a block. Sucks about the blood blister though. I did something similar on Tuesday only more of a bruise across the arch of my foot. The sidewalk dropped about 4 inches and I landed with ball of foot on the lower side heel on the high side with the edge of the drop off in the arch. I actually almost fell over because I bent my knees so much on that one because of the pain. Was kind of embarressing.
bigsmile.png

Blood blisters are a normal

Blood blisters are a normal part of the transition. I got them for about the first 6 months. With 15 months behind me now, I never get them.

I have also gotten a bruise or two under the arch from hitting a rock or a cobble stone. Interestingly enough, they almost never hurt, neither in general nor while running. But, they can stick around for a couple of weeks.

OK, now... to drain the blood

OK, now... to drain the blood blister or not to drain the blood blister?? Don't think I'll be able to run on it tomorrow if I leave it and who knows if I'll be able even if I do drain it. ?? Always heard you never pre-maturely pop a blister..... ??

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts