Immodium and Beer

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
I had the major squirts on my last long run. It was 26.2 miles and I had to stop like 4 times... I am thinking of immodium before the race... any problem with this?

I could just avoid jalapeno pizza the night before but I'm still nervous about it now.

My aunt is a nurse

My aunt is a nurse practicioner and has been in the medical field for several decades. She has always told me that you get the "squirts" for a reason, i.e. there's something bad in your system and your body is trying to get rid of it. For that reason she has always told me that stuff like Immodium is actually detrimental to your body and its overall health.

I personally would avoid the cause.

Don't take it. It actually

Don't take it. It actually slows down your metabolism and would make it harder for your body to absorbe needed nutrients. IMHO, don't take any meds during a race. I've found that eating pasta the day before a race and having my biggest meal at lunch seems to work. Also, wake early, drink coffee and empty your system pre race. And pain? There will be pain.

I used to have all sorts of

I used to have all sorts of stomach problems. Anywhere I went, I would note the locations of restrooms. Even though I have been eating healthier and healthier the last 10 years, I still had problems and I would keep immodium with me at all times.

I have had very few problems this last year. I have cut my meat consumption in half and I no longer drink milk. I still eat cheese and other processed dairy, but not much.

Just be very careful what you eat before races and your long training runs. Save the pizza and beer for after.

I just remembered I had

I just remembered I had planned on having pizza the night before but ended up having McDonalds. I plan to make homemade pizza with my son on Friday nights, but our plans got real messy and we needed food in a hurry.

McDonalds?  There's your

McDonalds? There's your problem. Fast food free for 7 years. Homemade pizza would have been better. Sometimes you have to make time to feed yourself and your family better.

I just read your other post about dieting. I could talk your ear off about that.

Yeah, McDonalds is not a

Yeah, McDonalds is not a normal thing, but we do it every once in a while. I always feel disgusting after. The homemade pizza is relatively healthy. All lowfat and what not... I'm not a health nut. My diet has worked pretty decent so far. I noted it in my latest blog, but basically went from 149 to 142.8 in about 11 days. Trying to be 139 at race day, then going to start strength training to try and replace a lot of the fat I lost with muscle.

Personally I don't see

Personally I don't see anythng wrong with a trip through thr drive through sometimes. It's easy to say to make time to feed your family correctly but sometimes that's just not possible when you have 30 minutes to get from one activity to another. Or maybe the correct decision would be to cancel all activities that would in any way interfer with a 2 hour nightly dinner.

As long as it's only occasionally there's nothing wrong with fast food. Would we all like to be perfect eaters, harvesting out gardens and trapping our meat? Sure, but then life hits you in the back of the head and says, "go get a freakin burger"

I think most people on this forum are normal family types who make that trip once in a while, it's just the ones with weird diets tend to talk about food more often.

Back on topic, I get a minor case of runs before almost every race. I just chalk it up as a light case of nerves, can't be the beer, right?

rickwhitelaw wrote:Sometimes

rickwhitelaw said:
Sometimes you have to make time to feed yourself and your family better.

Sorry, I just read the post again and I have to say this line really ticks me off. Take time to feed your family? really? Did you really tell the man to take time to feed his family better? You have got to be freaking kidding me.

Get off your high horses and meet some real people. Fast food free for 7 years? good for you, who freakin cares when you spew crap like this.

*ramzev steps slowly off the soap box and walks away to avoid getting kicked out.*

Red Foreman says it best, I can't say it here.

Abide wrote:Dude 139??? How

Abide said:
Dude 139??? How tall are you?

139 is fat...to me...

Nothing like the green apple splatters during a marathon. It was the McD's!

Abide wrote:Dude 139??? How

Abide said:
Dude 139??? How tall are you?

About 5'6. I'm short dude. It will be my lightest in many, many years. And I plan to get back to 160 by the end of the summer.

When I did grappling sports I

When I did grappling sports I got all the way up to 180 (lost most of that when I got real sick, could not keep that kind of muscle without major effort), kickboxed at about 150. I can usually manage to get my weight where I want pretty easily for a given sport.

Oh and so now the question is

Oh and so now the question is how much beer can I tolerate the night before without it loosening thigns up too much? Iam thinking 1. I had 0 before the marathon a couple months ago and it felt odd... I've got one in the fridge ready to go for tonight, so hopefully I don't poot the entire way on my run with Chaser.

Hey you guys!  Be nice to

Hey you guys! Be nice to each other. Respect. All around.

I wonder if it has to do with

I wonder if it has to do with how you fuel during the race. For my trail marathon I was able to snack on solid food at all the aid stations which were between 4 and 6 miles apart most of the way. In between that I used my homemade iskiate which has never been an issue for me. I was good for that race. But, my recent 50k that I completed was a little different. I was "running loose" (luckily not explosively loose, hahaha!) the whole way. The only thing I can think of that was different (because I had almost the same exact dinner the night before as my marathon) was that I wasn't able to snack on solid food during the run. There was only one aid station in the middle of an out and back course. I think having the gel with nothing solid had my body all messed up. I don't know. Just a thought.

zapmamak wrote:I wonder if

zapmamak said:
I wonder if it has to do with how you fuel during the race. For my trail marathon I was able to snack on solid food at all the aid stations which were between 4 and 6 miles apart most of the way. In between that I used my homemade iskiate which has never been an issue for me. I was good for that race. But, my recent 50k that I completed was a little different. I was "running loose" (luckily not explosively loose, hahaha!) the whole way. The only thing I can think of that was different (because I had almost the same exact dinner the night before as my marathon) was that I wasn't able to snack on solid food during the run. There was only one aid station in the middle of an out and back course. I think having the gel with nothing solid had my body all messed up. I don't know. Just a thought.

I think you could be right there too. I had a peanut butter jelly uncrustable for breakfast... kinda felt like that was part of it.

So I basically did everything wrong. I am having 2 beers now before tomorrow's final long run before the race to see how my 2 beers at dinner will feel.

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:I am

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
I am having 2 beers now before tomorrow's final long run before the race to see how my 2 beers at dinner will feel.
BTW - Beer is ALWAYS part of my pre-race ritual as well. For me, I don't think its the beer. ;)

Zap, if I was not happily

Zap, if I was not happily married and odd looking as well as socially awkward, and a long way from you... you might be the girl of my dreams. A girl who drinks beer and runs ultras?! Awesomeness. And you can talk about diahrea. Great stuff.

I am on beer 2 of Sierra Nevada IPA. Man. I want a 3rd...