I'm living a nightmare, help me. Anybody have the new NB 790's?

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
I haven't been posting in a long time because I destroyed my back last summer doing core workouts with a trainer that wasn't right for me. I have a nerve impingement in my lower back now and the nerve pain hits directly in my Achilles'/heels/bottom of feet. I stopped running (and walking for awhile I was in so much pain) and just sunk into a deep, bad hole. With chiropractic care, I have it just about licked, but my heels still hurt and I'm hurting to run. I have to run and don't care what I wear on my feet. Since I have to function, I've been wearing my old NB 790's (good thing I was so sentimental, I kept them). They discontinued them, and replaced them with MT 100's, but I saw a newer version of 790's on Amazon. Are they the same? Does anyone know? http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Womens-W790-Running/dp/B005BW3LXK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329446993&sr=8-3

Wow, J., that bites.  I am so

Wow, J., that bites. I am so glad you are making a good comeback though. Shoes sentimental. That's funny. Welcome back!

J, I'm excited to see you

J,

I'm excited to see you made it back! You were my bread and butter around here when I first started posting. Now look, I really don't have that many posts so I can't really say "look how involved I've become." Nonetheless, I am glad to hear things have straightened out (lame joke, chiropractor... straightened out... I know, it was a really lame one again.). In other words, it is nice to know you are feeling better.

Aw, you guys are sweet I

Aw, you guys are sweet :) I have no idea if starting up again will work out, but the pain is not going away and my blood pressure is going sky high, so I have to do something. Until Christmas I was running in the pool and doing water classes, but I hit a wall with that. I just want to be outside. I snuck a run in my street clothes and purse last night (a mile). It's time.

I'm glad you are at least

I'm glad you are at least trying to get out there. I wish I knew anything about those shoes, but unfortunately I don't. I had back problems too and have had two major surgeries so I understand your pain and wish you the best. That is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Also, for the nerve pain that I was experiencing being barefoot all/most of the time seemed to really help a lot. Maybe it can for you as well, although if you need shoes I understand that as well. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!

The nerve pain that I am

The nerve pain that I am experiencing is, unfortunately, all right in my heels and sometimes arch right now. I used to feel it in my calf and Achilles more. I finally got that all calmed down and it's really not that bad (incidentally, I feel it extremely rarely actually in my back, so that's good). Soooo, even though the pain is not bad at all, running when you have pain on the bottom of your feet is excrutiating, so this tiny little problem has become a big problem. I can go completely barefoot at home and that's awesome, but shoes (necessary now in winter) hurt. I think when it's Spring I'll do more barefoot outside.

Isn't that a road shoe? New

Isn't that a road shoe? New Balance use the same model numbers for road and trail so just because it's called 790 doesn't mean that it has anything to do with your old favorites. It certainly looks very different from what I remember of the old 790.

Here's the description on

Here's the description on Amazon:

• Women's New Balance W790
  • A low profile running shoe that is lightweight and made for speed and traction
  • this trail racing shoe is built low to the ground to maximize responsiveness.
  • Synthetic and cool mesh upper
  • ROCK STOP shock distribution plate provides protection against rocks for a comfortable run
  • N-durance rubber outsole has special AT Tread design that combines running and trail lug patterns
  • This style is a great choice for on or off road use
I might just buy the cheap one and see what it is. This whole having to wear cushioned shoes thing totally blows. Meanwhile, my well-used but eminently servicable Protons just sit there in my closet.

J go try on the Altra Intuition. It was designed for someone like you in your situation. A fully cushioned shoe without all the heel build up in a foot shape. You'll get the protection you need for you heels and not sacrifice the ability to have your toes splay when you put weight on your feet. I've a got a piece of bone sticking out of my heel and they keep my foot from hurting so I'm pretty sure they've got a good chance at helping you out too.