I'm in training!

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by footloose2, Mar 8, 2015.

1. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

A few week ago at the Bournemouth parkrun, 2 other local members encouraged me to join them for the Bournemouth Bay Half Marathon. I said I would think about it just before one of them came first in the run and I plodded round even slower than I usually do!
    I have put my name down for the half marathon! I have not done one since the Indian barefoot half a few years ago which was cancelled at the last minute. I am that much older now and considerably less fit. I have been increasing my running frequency and distance but 7 miles in a day is the most I have done so far. My feet are fine. Its the legs that struggle! I beat my PB in the Parkrun yesterday so I must be getting better.
    This is the first time I have put myself forward for something that I am genuinely uncertain that I can do. So if any other barefooters want to join is on April 12th in Bournemouth, we would be delighted to see you and any support before then is much appreciated.
    Happy running, Mark

2. Amit Baswal

Amit Baswal Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Excellent, Mark, You'll do great I know. There are atleast 4 barefoot runners now signed up for the April 12th.

paulbeales likes this.
  3. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

That's great Amit. Sorry I can't be with you for the day in Brighton as I will be trying not to offend the Japanese with my feet. I hope to get some running done while in Africa later this week...

paulbeales likes this.
  4. Amit Baswal

Amit Baswal Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Have a good time in Africa, Mark. We will go for a training run on the sea front before April 12th. I know the route for the half-marathon so will be covering that in practice run.

paulbeales likes this.
  5. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Do you have a link for the HM please Amit? I'll add it to the calendar.

Good luck for the HM Mark. From what I saw last IBRD, you'll be fine. If I can do a HM, you certainly can :)

6. Amit Baswal

Amit Baswal Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

7. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

8. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Update!
    Race day is nearly here. My training has been difficult. I am always short of time but I started with gradually increasing my run length and frequency. Then I went on holiday for 2 weeks and did no running at all while in Africa but I did plenty of walking barefoot on very hot roads and rough pavements. On my return to UK, I went to a party and got food poisoning! I was weak as a kitten for 2 days and feared that any hope of half marathon success had passed. I was able to get out for runs while with my family for Easter 6 miles then 9.5 miles and 10.5 on Monday. My feet, heart and lungs are fine - it is my legs that let me down and take at least 2 days to recover each time. I have done my last long training run this evening, doing the fiddly bits at each end of the course in Bournemouth. 10.8 rather slow miles. My legs are not so bad this time so I am hopeful that I can do the full 13 on Sunday. Wish good luck to the UK chapter members doing the Bournemouth Bay Run on Sunday.
    Mark

Amit Baswal and paulbeales like this.
  9. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Good luck Mark! You can do it!

10. Amit Baswal

Amit Baswal Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Mark, good luck to you too mate. I was having a good training overall but last week before easter break I caught hayfever and lost few good days of training and eating also went downhill, hopefully I'll be alright on the race day though. Hope to see you before the run.

11. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Post Script..
    I did it! I found it tough, particularly the last few miles heading into the wind along the Prom. My time was as good as expected and I had no after effects the next day at all! Congrats to Amit who I did not see on the day but finished in a very good time. I am not sure about other members. The official photos from the day can be found at www.sussexsportphotography.com Search for Bournemouth Bay. My pictures can be found by searching my race number 3554
    During the race I had all the usual stupid comments but also a very good conversation with a man who completed the last Bournemouth full marathon barefoot last year. He admitted to an achilles injury and was shod this time.
    Would I do it again? Possibly but I would want more time to prepare properly and try to get a better time. Now I need to keep my fitness level to where I have got it....

Amit Baswal and Sid like this.
  12. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Well done Mark, I knew you could do it :) Lucky you weren't doing the 13, errr ... 10K ;)

Will we see you in Brighton on 3rd May?

Amit Baswal likes this.
  13. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Sorry Paul and everyone else. I will be away in Japan. I am very disappointed that I will miss the occasion and I know that you are putting a lot of effort into making it bigger and better than ever. I will be thinking about you all on the day.

Amit Baswal likes this.
  14. Amit Baswal

Amit Baswal Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Well done Mark. Good achievement mate. I did look for you before and after the race but couldn't find you. It was good day but was too windy on the sea front and 3 hills which were speed killer.I think you must've met Tim Armitage who ran full marathon barefoot last year in October.
    Get ready for October mate, I think you'll enjoy full marathon this time!

paulbeales likes this.
  15. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Congrats! If you care to write a report, we will place it on the home page.