Illinois Runners - Year in review? Goals? Check in? Anyone active?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by OneBiteAtATime, Dec 31, 2015.

1. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

All,

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. But here it is, the end of the year already - and I haven't served our chapter by organizing any runs, encouraging any discussions, being a shoulder to cry on. Forgive me.

Is there anyone active in IL?

This year, I ran 926 miles, Competed in 3 ultra-events (Potawatomi 50 miles, St. Pats 24 hour (77.5m in Lunas in 17 hours), and McNotAgin (30 miler). Lost 3 months to (self-diagnosed) stress fracture in the 2nd metty, May, June and July.

Next year, I plan to crack the 100 miler nut at Potawatomi - (April, Pekin, IL) and I'd take company! I plan to do more body weight exercises and improve my upper body strength. (Plus get ripped so my wife must put her hands on me. Lol.)

How did everyone else do this year? Mileage? Compete in any races? Goals for next year?

What's up in Illinois?

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. David Levinson

David Levinson Barefooters
    1. Illinois

Hey!
    I ran the wauconda 10k and the buffalo grove stampede barefoot, and then overtrained for another 10k turkey trot, gaining a bad case of Achilles tendinitis. So I'm not running, and its not clearing up. What do you think--should I go to PT?
    David

OneBiteAtATime likes this.
  3. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

I have a PT I go to periodically and she helps keep me straight! I highly recommend it. I also go to a chiro from time to time and he helps out too. Finding some open-minded professionals who can help you out is definitely worthwhile!

4. BroadArrow

BroadArrow Barefooters
    1. Illinois

i tried to keep slowly upping the mileage this year. i got in a few more than last, so that was nice. i failed in my 50-mile attempt. and, i might be able to be talked into trying the potawatomi trails 100, except that i'm not super excited about running in circles. still, maybe i could pretend that i am actually doing end-to-end pacer duties or something. :)

5. CityFIt

CityFIt Barefooters
    1. Illinois

Hi, usually with any non-injury or disease, chronic issues are most times a movement thing. When one joint is off, the impact can be anywhere in the body and not necessarily at the off-kilter joint. Usually, but not always, it is somewhere along one of the common kinetic chains - either the cross-back transmission line, or same side which would indicate a definite neurological issue. "All the body, all the time" :)

Remember, there are 26 bones and 33 joints in each foot. One joint that is not moving correctly can make all the difference.

6. BroadArrow

BroadArrow Barefooters
    1. Illinois

hey onebite, how runnable is that potawatomi trails route? i'm very loosely contemplating giving the 100 a go if you do. no guarantees of any kind. i ask about runnability because i am a wannabe purist who likes to run skin-to-gravel/thorns/etc. nighttime will add a whole 'nother dimension to the fun, i suppose. it would be a lot more interesting if there was another (semi-)nutcase to run with who had little to no shoe-age (not to be confused with sewage). what do you remember from the trails?

7. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

BroadArrow -

I am no purist. In the snow I wear VFF or VBF. In good conditions I wear Lunas. I only run BF on the roads Tues, Wed, Thursday. I've never gone a step beyond 10 miles barefoot.

As far as Pot - I ran 3 miles there barefoot with VFF in a backpack (thank God), stepped on a Black Locust Thorn and put on the kicks. That said - I probably could have ran through the area 100 times and never stepped on that thorn. The trails are mostly single track and very well worn. Very runnable. That said, there are hills, like lots of real hills that change running to walking quite often!

Maybe we should try to schedule a run there on a weekend if the snow clears up? I know the 10 mile loop quite well. It is a very well run event, great aid station cuisine and good people - but most of the ultrarunning community is like that. They do have a 50 too.

8. BroadArrow

BroadArrow Barefooters
    1. Illinois

it might be fun to try a preview run. however, the logistics would be a bear: isn't is something like a 2hr each way commuting investment? and then trying to guess when the weather won't be totally crummy. the first good shot would be the race weekend! :)

but, if the surface doesn't have much gravel, broken rocks, or grit, i should be able to just take your word for it.

how seriously are you considering the 100?

9. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

Unless I'm injured, I'm running it.