IBRD

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by NYAB, Feb 17, 2011.

1. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

Alright dudes, what's the dealio here? I'm chompin' at the bit to get this ball rolling. I know IBRD is 10 looonnnnnnng weeks away but it's going to sneak up on us quickly. I'm not looking to spearhead this for our group, but I do want to play an integral part.

I suspect we'll combine efforts and exhibit a presence in DC. All I need is a time and location so I can start clueing in the press. Hype is what will sell this gig. If we start now, there is bound tobe a colossal ball of anticipation when we set this thing off!

What say you??

2. HopesMom

HopesMom Barefooters
    1. Virginia

I say ... ok, I'm clueless. What's IBRD?

3. watpolo555

watpolo555 Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland

I'm definitely in, and would be willing to help out if someone else wants to spearhead it. I've only been bf'ing for a few months now (with the help of huarachas when there's snow on the ground) but I'd love to get more involved in the BF community!

4. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

5. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

Thanks for chiming in polo5.

Ya know, I'd even go so far as to take charge but I don't want to short-change the cause....or step on anyone's toes (no pun intended).

naked12inches, LavaRunner, and JayStanley are the group Admins for VA, MD, and DC respectively. I feel like I'm stealing their thunder but we kinda' need to get goin'.

Where/when do we meet? Where do we run?? How far? How long?? Do wedress in chapter garb or do we go for a unified front? Or do we just do our own thing???

And, though it may be to a detriment, do we welcome minimalists to hang with us???

The three main questions are meeting time, duration, and course of travel.

How about 5k for duration? Long enough to make the point but not so long that we lose folks.

There are quite a few routes on the National Mall. It shouldn't be too hard to nail one down.

All we need is a time to get there.

Unless somebody stops me, I'm lighting the fuse.

NYAB

6. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

"And, though it may be to a detriment, do we welcome minimalists to hang with us???"

Guess I need to retract this question. The sticky says this event is to increase awareness of barefoot AND minimalist running.

My bad. No harm intended.[​IMG]

7. Erik Neves

Erik Neves Chapter Presidents
    1. Brasília -...
    2. Virginia
    3. New York

What is considered minimal? Are Newtons, Frees, Kinvaras and Green Silences minimal?

8. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

Hi Erik, that's a good question. There's been discussion, and debate, and hashing and re-hashing over this and there still isn't a difinitive answer. The best I can do is send you hereand ask you to draw your own conclusion.

Regardless, once we get everything set, I hope you'll come out and support the cause.

NYAB

9. LavaRunner

LavaRunner Chapter Presidents
    1. Maryland
    2. Utah
    3. Virginia

Unfortunately I am crazy busy at work and haven't had any time to do any planning.

If there is someone that wants to spearhead this, I am all over assisting but full time involvement is not going to be possible on my part. Heck, I can't even get time to figure out this forum. Glad someone posted here.

I think a great place for us to do the event would be the mall. After all, where would it have more impact?

• Who would need to be contacted for permission?I have a frined in the Secret Service and National Police, I bet he could guide me to a permit. Is the Washngton Virginia group doing anything and would it be better as a joint venture?
    • Someone would need to create a flyer and we could start posting them at local running stores. Fleet Feet REI Hudson Trail.
    • Does anyone have radio contacts to get some free air time?
    I'll follow up on the mall running and permits.

10. macmhagan

macmhagan Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. District of...

From what I gather BFS wants this to be a critical mass event similar to the popular bicycle critical mass events where massive amounts of participants ride (or in our case run) in a city street clogging up traffic drawing lots of attention to what we do.

Jay has been trying to get a 7:30AM Thursday barefoot run started meeting up at the Foggy Bottom metro and running through DC. Perhaps this is a good place to start getting our momentum going and getting people involved working up to May 1st. So let's say this coming Thursday morning as many of us on this list gather at that site, run and talk about ways to get the word out.

Nathan

11. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

Lava, at this point there don't appear to be individual efforts from DC or VA. The only traffic I've seen for the Metro area is the traffic here. To that end, I think it would be a good idea if we DO combine efforts. You know, most bang for buck.

Good call on initiating the permitting process. I hadn't even considered that.

The BRS will be providing a press release for issue to local media. As soon as it's available, we can start spreading the word. As for media contacts, I have a little experience getting a cause noticed. I'll volunteer to make some phone calls and send some emails. I'll also print up some flyers to post around.

Nathan, reviving a weekly meetup sounds great. This is exactly what we need...folks getting together, talking about, BEING about what we're trying to do here. Slap this baby up on the calendar. I won't be able to make it but there have got to be others who can.

Good to see more dialouge about this.

Anyone else? Let's chime in.

12. sgorbos

sgorbos Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. District of...

I'll try to come to the Thursday morning run, but...is anyone interested in a post-work day run? Like, a meet-up some time between 4:30 - 5:30? I'm in the northern part of the city, and usually run around the Rock Creek Park trails, north or south of the Military Road environs. It seems that most people chiming in are folks that work downtown, but I thought I'd check and see if any one else was from the north country (and more into running at the end of the work day).

13. BrunoRuns

BrunoRuns Barefooters
    1. Maryland

I am in!

I have no idea about planning but I agree having all MD, VA and DC together is a good idea. I live in bethesda and can meet anywhere. I can run any distance although I assume we will be doing a 5k/10k or something close to that. Maybe we could find a 5k loop around the mall area that runners could choose to run as many 5k "laps" as they wanted to stay out.

Once and time and place is established I can promote to friends and others I know might be interested. I have a few running friends that are dabbling in BF running and some others that are not very active on this site but who might be interested in the day.

sgorbos: I am down for a RCP run sometime. I am there all the time from Kensington down to DC. I work nights and weekends mostly so I am free most of the day. Let me know.

Cheers, Bruno

14. LavaRunner

LavaRunner Chapter Presidents
    1. Maryland
    2. Utah
    3. Virginia

I think a 1K, 5K with a loop to 10k option works. the 1K is because if this works you might get a few new runners trying BF and a shorter track would be good for them. Then the more experienced runners could do a 10k or 5k depending on their wishes.

The Mall would be cool since a bunch of BF runners would attract a lot of attention that time of the year aon the Mall. Wonder if we could get Mayor Fentyto come out and give it a try.

15. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

Fantastic guys! 2 items we need to nail down straight away are meetup time and location. Once we establish these, we can go ahead and post our part of the event on the IBRD calendar.

I'm thinking 11ish. No thoughts yet on exact location.

Anybody else?

16. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

The latest!

The time for the gig has been set for 11:00, and the tentative meeting place is the Washington Monument. I'll be on the Mall this Saturday scouting some barefoot friendly routes and a precise place for us to gather. Check back here Sunday for an update.

Pulls soapbox over from the corner

[​IMG]

I must say, I'm a little - strike that - I'm especially disheartened to see so few, of the 119 DC, MD, and VA membership, expressing interestin this monumental event. We are on the verge of an opportunity to largely impact the running arena and put barefoot/minimalist running on the map. Asthe Nation's capital, we should be second, only to TJ and the Gorgia Chapter, in this charge for awareness. Yet, only6 have even bothered to comment on this thread.

It would be such a shame for only a handful of people to show up on the Mall May 1st.

[​IMG]

If you're a Metro area member, you've alreadymade theeffort to join a Chapter. And by beinghere, you're indicating that you get, at least, minimal enjoyment from running barefoot or in minimalist shoes. How about joining in for a hour or so and making this the event it really should be. I'm not asking for everyone - although that would be phenominal - but enough to make an impact. Whaddya say?

Pushes soapbox back into the corner

17. JayStanley

JayStanley Chapter Presidents
    1. District of...
    2. Virginia
    3. Presidents

NYAB, so glad you're running with this (so to speak). NO need to worry about stepping on my toes, at least -- I'm totally overextended and appreciate your energy! AND glad we're coalescing around a plan. A few thoughts:

* I think it's especially great idea for all the metro-area people from the DC MD and VA affils to join together.

* I would look for a meeting spot on the mall that is as close as possible to metro & parking.

* I tried to find a local race that we could all just sign up for and run for IBRD, as the national organizers suggested. But, there were no good candidates on May 1, except a race dedicated to curing childhood cancer (I think it was) and it didn't seem cool to step on their message for such a good cause by adding our barefooting thing to that.

* So, the mall may be the best idea. I would worry that getting a permit may be impossibly difficult, however. I don't know that for sure, maybe it's surprisingly easy -- but I would ask first if we even *need* a permit for x number of people to run around inside the park (which is what the Mall is right?). If we don't, fine. If we do, I think we might need to meet somewhere else that might be more relaxed about such things.

* I can work on drumming up some media for this, as doing media is part of my job. Though, anyone else who has connections or wants to contribute, is welcome to do so.

- Jay

18. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

Fantastic Jay! I've made several inquiries about permits and no one has gotten back to me. I'll tryagain but I'm not sure we will even need one. We're no different than any other group meeting up for a run......except that there may be media present.

I've also sent several heads up notices to area media but it seems you have the inside track on that one .

Now all we need is BFRs and MRs to show up. We've got 9 confirmed so far. I'll be posting flyers at area athletic retailers in the coming week. Maybe that will draw some attention.

Rodney

19. NYAB

NYAB Chapter Presidents
    1. Virginia
    2. Maryland
    3. District of...

Well, it looks like the Monument is going to work out best for us. The closest Metro is Smithsonian - and there's parking all around the Mall. Most of the sidewalks on and around the Mall aren't very barefoot friendly but there is a path immediatlely surrounding the Washington Monument that will be just fine for us. One loop is about half a mile so that will work out beautifully for folks who want to keep it short. Others can make as many passes as desired.

Meeting on the West side of the Monument will allow us the most space to assemble out of the way of everyone else.

Anyone else have ideas?

Rodney

20. macmhagan

macmhagan Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. District of...

Sounds like a good plan Rodney. Thanks for doing the leg work. I will be there with my 9yr old girl and my 5yr old girl joining me!

Nathan