IBRD 2019 in PDX

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Jon from PDX, May 4, 2019.

1. Jon from PDX

Jon from PDX
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

Hello!

(...ello...lo...echo...o...)

This chapter is quiet, but I thought I'd throw this out there: I'm planning on running a Sellwood to Downtown Waterfront loop tomorrow morning. I'd be happy to shift times or locations if anyone wants to join in, but be warned: I'm a very slow runner. :)

In solidarity, even if that's just an online fellowship,
    Jon

Random and Barefoot TJ like this.
  2. Jon from PDX

Jon from PDX
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

Well, it was just about a "perfect"^1 morning for running in Portland today.

My loop was ~8 miles (~13km) from Sellwood up Milwaukie Ave to the Tilikum Bridge, then down the west waterfront to the Sellwood Bridge. I prefer Milwaukie over the Springwater path because the Springwater is almost all chip-and-seal. There is some harsh pavement on the west side, but it is only intermittent.

Fellow runners of all types were out this morning, but the paths and sidewalks were never uncomfortably crowded. I love how I never know what to expect from others: there is no stereotype that will let me anticipate how someone else will react to my lack of tarsal attire. All I can do is smile, acknowledge everyone, and feel slightly awkward and slightly pleased at being forced into the role of brand ambassador for this particularly distinctive non-brand.

For any of my neighbors who might be considering going barefoot: Portland really is a decent, friendly place for this sort of thing.

I'm fairly proud of my ~13 min/mile (8 min/km) pace. I was lazy this winter and couldn't comfortably run a continuous mile when I started back up again a month ago, yet when I returned home today I felt like I should have stretched my run by another bridge or two. I know there's nothing magical about going barefoot, but with how well it works for me I wonder if I might be wrong about that.

Overall, it was a delightful IBRD for this runner.

1: By "perfect," I mean 55-60 degrees (F; 13-16C), light wind, and a blue sky littered with fluffy clouds. Personally, I'd prefer it 10-15 degrees cooler and raining so hard that automobiles turn on their headlights.

Random and Barefoot TJ like this.
  3. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I wonder if the shoddie runners knew it was IBRD? Hee.

Sounds like a pleasant run, and I love it cold and wet too. Thanks for posting.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Jon from PDX likes this.