2012 IBRD Official Report

2ibrd-jpg.402

2012 IBRD Official Report
By Paleo

Hi Everyone,

The second annual International Barefoot Running Day was a great success! We are still gathering the stories, pictures and statistics, but we are hoping to top last year's event by a wide margin.

The statistics so far:
  • Registered events: 40
  • Countries with events: 12
  • Continents represented: 4 (N. America, S. America, Europe, Australia)
  • U.S. States represented:17
  • Number of runners: 304
  • Estimated total distance run: over 2200 KM / 1600 miles.
As the fate of our global time has it, the Australians again honored us by getting IBRD off to a great start in Brisbane and Adelaide with a total of 8 runners. Neil tells a hilarious story below of trying to find his barefoot running group. Normally, Barefooters don’t even bother to say “look for the guy not wearing shoes.” But Neil’s group met on the beach, where most were going without shoes!

Again this year, we give Marko in Slovenia a huge round of applause for turning out the largest group. With 120 participants, he doubled his count from last year. And the runners include lots of children, which is great for the future of this sport. We will all be tapping into Marko’s recruitment methods for next year’s run. Please take a look at the full set of his pictures at the links posted by Marko below.

In Germany, we had 3 events, including a half-marathon in Mainz a group of 4 in Dresden and a workshop lead by Barefoot Meckie in Dortmund, which I attended. Meckies a great teacher: a few exercises, not too much explanation, mostly just give it a try. “Challenge them, but don’t over-challenge them,” was Meckie’s motto. The ability in our group ranged from kids to ultra-marathoners. All of them learned something, and everyone had a great time, even though it rained all day.

All of the European events were plagued with rain, but down in Siesta Key Florida they had perfect whether. Eight runners could enjoy blue sky, a white sandy beach and dolphins playing in the water. Marc reports that he and Chris G have run virtually every Sunday together since last year’s IBRD, and they were joined this year by several new friends in min shoes.

Out in California, Terri Orsi hosted a brief clinic emphasizing cadence and form, after which he led a group of 8 on an easy-paced 2.5 mile run. They chatted with a couple in Vibrams, telling them about IBRD and the BRS. The guy stripped off his Vibrams in support of the day and walked barefoot rest of the way to the parking lot.

We did cover 4 continents with IBRD, with Leobarefoot hosting a clinic for 11 people in Belo Horizonte Brazil. As the video posted below, shows they had a great day, lot’s of fun while learning about BFR.

I have mostly picked out a few highlights that arrived to me by email. Please read the rest of the stories below and take a look at the great photos.

So all of the events captured the spirit of International Barefoot Running: a mix of reaching out to new barefooters, encouraging them to give it a try, but most of all just having a great time. Just as last year, IBRD seems to have spawned a few friendships and regular meetings (“every first Sunday in the month”).

On behalf of the BRS, I want especially to thank all of the local organizers for making IBRD happen. They all did a great job. The pictures and stories of the clinics show how we are all working together to promote this fabulous sport.

Thanks to everyone!

So, mark your calendar: May 5, 2013 is the date for the third annual IBRD (always the first Sunday in May). Looking forward to seeing you there!

Please record your IBRD stories and stories below!

What a great day for Barefoot Running!

Cheers,

Paleo

P.S. If you ran on IBRD, but not part of an official event, please feel free to record your event HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran a local 5k in the bare on Sunday May 6th... It was my first official 5k race that didn't involve skis. My time was ~29:12 which although not blazing fast was a PR for me and good enough for 1st place in the barefoot division ;).

I told everyone who asked about my bare foot running about IBRD and BRS... I even asked the event coordinators if they would note my barefootedness in the stats just to have it documented. Not sure if they will... but I did try.

S. Pimp.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I ran a local 5k which was part of the Michigan IBRD Kalamazoo Marathon. I had the help of a friendly caveman who helped pace me for the 1st mile of the 5k. I ran a little under 20min for the 5k (not official yet as the race website is down). Not super happy with my time but I’ll take it for my 1st barefoot race. :barefoot:
I can confirm 3 of us in the 5k and I think that StJohnthegambler did the half or full and Smelph definitely did the full. Im sure we had more numbers, but Smelph will have to confirm

I ran a local 5k which was part of the Michigan IBRD Kalamazoo Marathon. I had the help of a friendly caveman who helped pace me for the 1st mile of the 5k. I ran a little under 20min for the 5k (not official yet as the race website is down). Not super happy with my time but I’ll take it for my 1st barefoot race. :barefoot:
I can confirm 3 of us in the 5k and I think that StJohnthegambler did the half or full and Smelph definitely did the full. Im sure we had more numbers, but Smelph will have to confirm
Quick story:
One police officer commented...hey look at that guy, he ran right out of his shoes....to which I responded "Oh Crap!! Not again!".....both the law enforcement and military working the race were very receptive. Overall I got really positive comments and questions. it was a good day to be a BF runner

I posted a short item on one of the other threads, but I'll post here too to make sure I get counted ;)
Not an official event, but I did wear the official shirt! I got one other barefooter and one minimalist shoe runner to join me for a 5K run Sunday in Erie, PA. I've been working on the folks from the local runners club for years without success in getting any converts, so having three of us was a success as far as I'm concerned.
Next year I'll try to make it an official event!
Here's a few photos:

IBRD2012-1.jpg

IBRD2012-3.jpg

IBRD2012-4.jpg

IBRD2012-5.jpg

IBRD2012-5-2.jpg

That's official enough for me. Looks like you all are having fun.

Cheers
Paleo

Here´s our picture, from IBRD run in Dresden, Germany:
DSCN4481 klein.jpg

From left to right: rrunner64 who runs minimalistic since 2 years and barefoot occasionally. Me (joohneschuh). M, a friend who likes being barefoot, runs occasionally, read my copy of Born to Run, but didn´t put these pieces together until now :). And hippie-dd, who´s a barefoot-biker-zealot :)
He made me say: "No, I won´t give up my biking-shoes!"
Biggest success of the day: rrunner64 joined the BRS and wants to meet me to run together next Friday. The long expected barefoot running buddy in my hometown? We´ll try and see...

Run Mississauga Marathon, wearing my sandal 1st km for warm up, take off sandal and run on smooth part of the road mostly on painted lines on the road love those lines , really fast barefoot running pass a lot of runners, feels realy light and smooth ,easy stride on asphalt, concretewalkway, and lots of grass on side road. Pass a couple of runners on vibrams, make comments look barefoot, they smile as I pass them. Was so surprise to see Alan T, a BRS meember, running barefoot , aproach him introduce ourselves, I read his name from Canada BRS chapter site, good to finally met him. we parted I run ahead hoping to see him in finish line but never saw him at end of race.
@@ around over 20km road surface becomes too rough for the pace I was running, decided to put back my sandal so as to keep a fast pace, I'm satisfied I just run my fastest longest all continues barefoot more than 20km. I seetled into a comfortable pace w/ sandal Idont have to mind where my foot land. Four hour two min. when I cross finifh line I was alot slower 2nd half of the race on sandals, so less than 2hr barefoot for 21km.
If only the road was forgiving allthe way I can go all barefoot for the whole race, maybe a lot faster time. Set a PR from previous time 4hr 21 min . Really have fun on the barefoot start, I was screaming and flying feels like a wild animal got loose on the race.

here is my picture on the 42km finishing kick

http://www.zoomphoto.ca/viewphoto/16566-110-15947184/2/

I arrived at 11am and met up with Michelle. Together we waited for 30 minutes for anyone else to show up, but no one else did. This meant we could choose the run we wanted to do, so we chose the Blue Trail. The trails at the Ganaraska Forest are very sandy and make for an enjoyable barefoot running terrain. There are some roots, sticks and rocks to be found in a few sections, but Michelle was able to keep up with me like she had been running barefoot all of her life and not just 4 weeks. The sunny 18°C weather had us stopping frequently for water breaks as we made our way through the 5.5km trail in about 45 minutes. This was 100% a Barefoot Fun Run!

536465_3858283024774_1509331203_33194882_52451124_n.jpg

Hi, I participated in the event called "Fodens bare årstider" freely translated to "Seasons of the barefoot". It was a Danish event where the start time was about 10:00 and the goal was to finish as close to 11:00 as possible. The distance was of own choice round some lakes and no time/distance measures was allowed. 4 barefoot runners attended.

2nd Annual International Barefoot Running Day-Florida-Siesta Key

Soon it will be hot, humid and less fun to run in Florida. But, it was perfect today as eight of us gathered to celebrate IBRD on Siesta Key. The gulf was heaven blue, the sand was crystal white, dolphins played in the waves and we got to run barefoot with new friends in min shoes. Chris G. (far right) and I have enjoyed a chapter run almost every first Sunday since last year’s IBRD. In this year’s event we ran 9 miles with some walking breaks and a refreshing beer interval. Looking forward to next year already!

photo-11.jpg

Love the pictures bfsailor. Must be Presque Isle park I ran the half mary there last year (finished BF) very nice race. I hope to do the full Marathon BF someday.

Good call! That is Presque Isle State Park. It's a great place to run year 'round (see my avatar pic!)
Most of our local races are held there.

I've never done the half-marathon out there though. Maybe this year.

Reactions: barefootn
Hi all,

I already posted that in other thread, but if I do it again here, probably won't hurt :)

What an awesome day!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/113076862803706759507/2SlovenskiBosiTekByIgorZonik#5739462731216629266

https://picasaweb.google.com/113076862803706759507/2SlovenskiBosiTekByMitjaStern

I still gather data and photos, but I already can say, that we hosted about 120 runners and at least one dog! The youngest runners was less than 2 yr old, the oldest was 80. Rain and wet pavement couldn't stop us - puddles were pure joy :)

Video:

TV (biggest network in Slovenia) report:

Whole report in next few days, still excited and happy! Hope you all had a great IBRD!!

We also collect more than 100 pairs of used footwear for charity.

Marko, Slovenia chapter President

2ibrd.jpg

Hi all again :)

I would like to congratulate to all of the organizers of IBRD events out there - you did fantastic job! Barefoot running community is bigger than ever and still going strong. We have no recession :)

Also, I would like to thank TJ and others in BRS community for support and guidance. This is our common ground, great place for ideas and good energy.

Stay cool and have fun! :)

ibrd.png

Reactions: Zetti and dutchie53
IBRD 2012 - Belo Horizonte Chapter - Brazil
Workshop followed by 1 mile minimalist/barefoot run followed by 11 miles minimalist/barefoot run.
11 people attended the workshop: 5 were barefoot, 3 using huaraches, 3 shod.
7 people ran the mile: 4 barefoot, 3 using huaraches.
4 people ran the 11 miles: 2 barefoot, 2 using huaraches.
Short video is bellow. Sorry, audio in portuguese, no english subtitles.