IBRD 12km

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, May 1, 2021.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hello All

Well, May 1st and for my run today we had an unusual warm day, 28C in May, that doesn't happen that often. Mainly at this time of year it is cold and sometimes I have ran in torrential downpours on IBRD.
    It may be the last of the warm days before we head into winter.
    I headed down to my local beach at Seacliff from where I run north to Glenelg (6km) along the beach then back along the road.
    I am slowly getting some stamina back and distance up but I do find it is the latter half of the run that feels the best.
    Maybe it is because it is harder running on the sand, uses more energy and feels tiring and when I get onto the concrete and brick surfaces I get more traction and so it feels easier.
    My usual running mate David couldn't make it this year as he is recovering from some Achilles tendon soreness.
    we usually meet up on the first sunday of the month for a barefoot run and have been doing that for around 8 years now.
    It will be my 11th year of barefoot running, how time flies.
    As I approach my late 50's I am thankful that barefoot running has helped me continue running at a time when the attrition rate for runners would be getting higher.
    I have to tell myself that when a guy of 25 shoots past me, "will he still be running when it is twice his age".
    What was that quote again " you're never too old to run, you get old because you stop running", that's what I carry around in my head.

Regards

Neil

Barefoot TJ and Tedlet like this.
  2. Larry

Larry Barefooters
    1. Australia

Funnily enough, I ran 12k on the 1st of May as well, but along a different beach in Victoria. My Saturday morning running group (who think I'm crazy) meet up for a weekly run, and if the tide is low enough they will run on the beach, to the bridge, and then around Barwon Heads and back to the beach. I tag along with them sometimes, even though the gravel paths can get a bit nasty.

It's good to remind yourself that just running at all puts you in the top 30% or so. You're beating plenty of people, just not that young bloke who just cruised past you with minimal effort. :)

Tedlet and Barefoot TJ like this.
  3. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Larry,
    I just did a virtual run around your course in Google maps, looks interesting running along the estuary. The gravel would be a nuisance but there looked like there were plenty of cement paths along the river road.
    I did a cross country today. I climb up the road near my house to the top of the O'Halloran Hill then run along all the mountain bike trails that criss cross the park. It's too rough up there to run barefoot so I wear my battered pair of Xero's. You have to concentrate while running the trails as they are very technical in that they are winding and up and down and have plenty of rocks both lose and embedded so it gives your brain a workout as well as your legs.
    It's good to mix my flat beach/road runs up with the hilly rough trail running.
    How many km are you managing each week?

Regards

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Larry

Larry Barefooters
    1. Australia

I try to do between 25 and 30km a week, but lately my night-owl children are keeping me up past midnight and I'm struggling to make it up in time for a morning run, so I'm falling a bit short of that. How about you?

Today I slept in and missed my usual Saturday group and then ambled around until I found myself at the local ParkRun start line with a few mates there, so I decided to give it a go. Mostly gravel track so I was taking it easy, but I managed to pass a few people and got the usual comments. :barefoot: Good crowd.

Nice work on the cross country - one thing I find as a beach runner is that I rarely run hills and therefore I really suck at them - it's something I really should make myself do once in a while. Adelaide would give you a good mix of terrain in pretty close proximity I'd imagine.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Larry,
    I don't think I have seen the midnight hour for many years. I am usually up for work at 5.15am so I'm usually asleep before 10pm.
    At the moment my legs are too stiff to run on, I did some squats on Sunday and now they have stiffened up and I know that it does not make a good run when your muscles are compromised.
    I did have a Thai massage this morning and the various muscles were so sore that I couldn't have a tradition Thai massage as I would jump off the table each time she put a bit of pressure on my back. I need to get this sort of thing done more often as routine maintenance.
    There is some good weather heading in towards the weekend so I'm looking forward to some running after the legs have recovered.

Neil