IA/Des Moines - Forey Fest

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Angie Bee, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Angie Bee

Angie Bee Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Iowa
    3. Kansas
    4. International

Date: Sat 01/14/12 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM CST
    Link: Forey Fest

FOREY 5K BAREFOOT BENEFIT
    * 10 am - noon - no official start time/check in between 10 and 11 am
    * 5K & 4.5 mile routes available
    * Starts and ends at Mullets
    * Route is all trail and includes Gray's Lake Park loop
    * Parking available east of Mullets - please don't park in restaurant lot
    * www.runningfreeonline.com/map/create/course/12812
    * website for registration with cost information will be available soon
    * With paid registration recieve Forey Fest koozie, which allows entrance to bar crawl and concert at People's

BAR CRAWL
    * 12-6 pm
    * Live music at Mullets, el Bait Shop, Royal Mile and Hessen Haus
    * $12 entry - receive Forey Fest koozie
    * Free entry with koozie from 5K
    * Koozie allows entry to all bars in bar crawl, as well as People'ls concert
    * Raffle tickets available for sale throughout the bar crawl
    * Live music schedule to be announced soon
    * THANK YOU TO IMAGE SOLUTIONS FOR DONATING THE KOOZIES!
    * THANK YOU TO FULL COURT PRESS FOR DONATING THEIR VENUES, AS WELL AS A PERCENTAGE OF SALES!
    * THANK YOU TO ALL THE MUSICANS AND BANDS FOR VOLUNTEERING!

CONCERT & RAFFLE DRAWINGS
    * Live entertainment at People's Court
    * Bands begin at 8 pm - bands and entertainment to be announced soon
    * John Bush, comedian, to emcee
    * Forey Tales - attendees will be invited to share a story about how they met Forey
    * Raffle drawings throughout the night, for faboulous prizes
    * $12 entrance to purchase a koozie, while supplies last. After koozies sold out, $15 entrance, which includes raffle tickets valuing $15
    * free entry with koozie from 5K or bar crawl
    * THANK YOU TO TOM AT PEOPLE'S COURT FOR DONATING THE VENUE!
    * THANK YOU TO ALL THE BANDS AND ENTERTAINERS FOR VOLUNTEERING!

Thank you, sincerely, to everyone who has volunteered in any fashion! It's been incredible. While we will need volunteers, many of you will be able to simply enjoy the event and support Forey through your attendance and donations. It's going to be awesome!

If you want to donate goods or services for the raffle, we welcome your donations! Please leave a comment on this page or send a private message.

Thanks for being such a caring community, and showing your support and love to Forey!

2. Barefoot Walker

Barefoot Walker Barefooters
    1. Iowa

but not sure i’m ready.
    do we meet outside the place, or inside? if the latter, do they allow bare feet inside?
    if i cannot make it, i wish you all the best.
    happy bf-running!

3. Neilhass

Neilhass Barefooters

Id sure like to meet some members of the Iowa chapter. If anyone else goes, I'd show up. Sounds like fun!

4. ajw1970

ajw1970 Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Thanks for the notice about this Angie! I'm not sure I can make it yet but I'm looking into it.

5. Angie Bee

Angie Bee Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Iowa
    3. Kansas
    4. International

I think they allow barefoot inside. I will look into it though.

If they don't allow shoes then outside on the side deck. Otherwise inside where its warm :) I will have some shoes with me just in case since its probably going to be chilly.

6. Angie Bee

Angie Bee Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Iowa
    3. Kansas
    4. International

7. Angie Bee

Angie Bee Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Iowa
    3. Kansas
    4. International

8. Barefoot Walker

1. Iowa

i have seen two prices: $12 here and $25 on the running room site.
    which is it, and do i sign up here or somewhere else?
    it may take me a while to complete the run as i seem to get somewhat winded after about twenty minutes, though did do the hilly aids walk/run course (south of dmu and west to 42nd along lincoln place dr) in 29½ minutes.
    i don’t think it will be too bad this saturday. at least not as far as i can tell.
    and i guarantee that you will have no difficulty spotting me. ☺
    enjoy bf-running!

9. Barefoot Walker

1. Iowa

It took me 29:33 on my stopwatch to do the 5K..
    I saw two other guys barefoot (but they covered their feet at the end while of course I did not), and everyone else cheered me on.
    I was disappointed in my time, and that I failed to register online before the cutoff, but did join Running Room.
    This being my first organized run, I think it went okay. I would rate the course as easy to moderately easy (at worst).
    I arrived there a little late (I forgot that SE First was blocked at the ballpark) and the starting gun sounded just before I got to Mullets® (not all that critical since this was not a race). Then a TV camera crew wanted to interview me so I did that, and finally started out.
    When I left home, the temperature on my feed was -6℃. It warmed up considerably during the run though, and I would say it was just under freezing by the time I finished. A few lazy flakes of white stuff were drifting down and about just as I left.
    I ate my sandwich (thank you QT®!) and then took off. I see no reason to do that bar stuff, as I don’t care for bars much since most of them are not barefoot-friendly and I drink very little alcohol.
    Let’s do it again soon, and hope for more barefooters!

10. Angie Bee

Angie Bee Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Iowa
    3. Kansas
    4. International

Well done barefoot walker!
    I am not much for the bar stuff either but was hoping for an update or a recap of the running/walking event. It was quite cold this morning.
    How did the interview go? Any idea when it will air or be put online and where?
    Again well done!

11. shawshank

shawshank Barefooters
    1. Indiana
    2. Iowa

My latest setback has made me scale my BFR down (plus I don't have your adventurous spirit w/ running outdoors in the cold!), but you are an inspiration.

I also run w/ extra baggage, which are 3 boys that I am trying to build up to doing a 10K. 3 boys w/ 3 different levels of motivation. They have been troopers & it was easier when we had a structured group run on Fridays, but we are sticking it out indoors because the little guys feet get cold much faster when I tried to take them out earlier this year.

keep up the great work! s/s.

12. Barefoot Walker

1. Iowa

If KCCI put the interview online, I never found it. Some of my friends saw it during the 1800 newscast on the 14th, but I do not watch television and thus have no idea of what all was aired. I know they did not show it at night as another friend was looking for it then. I know I said that I go barefoot everywhere and always, and that Forey was my hero, but not sure of anything else. The interview began in an amusing fashion though after the lady found me in the registration line and we were walking toward where the camera crew was setting up and went across the grass: she looked at the white stuff on the ground and said, “You probably don’t want to go through that” to which I replied, “My feet are not made of sugar. They won’t melt!” which made her laugh. I then proceeded to walk across that and leave prints in it.
    The Des Moines Register had a gallery of pictures taken at the event though. Do a search-engine lookup of the ’Net under “Forey Fest” (with the quotes) and you should find several galleries.
    One thing was extremely distressing for me: Forey was there and no one told me! I would have been thrilled to meet him.
    Good luck with your training s/s! I hope you get your boys conditioned to run barefoot.
    Angie, I do not consider -6℃ to freezing to be quite cold, just moderately so. I was well-protected, and only my face noticed it. True to form, I “left my mark” by making bare prints wherever I could without deviating from the course.
    Since then, I have run a more typical time: 26+ minutes Sunday, 20+ Monday, just under eleven Tuesday due to the cold affecting my body too fast, and two sessions of 21+ minutes yesterday, one in the afternoon and the other in the evening. Today is expected to be like Tuesday, and I may run a shorter route for it.
    Let me know when the next one is please.
    Keep running barefoot!

13. Barefoot Walker

1. Iowa

Here is a more thorough description of the entire Forey Fest experience:
    As evidenced by my first reply, I found out about the event on 01/03/2012, and immediately rushed over here to post my question. I was then notified of Angie’s reply, and so forth.
    I was just getting up to being able to run over twenty minutes with an occasional 25 or slightly more. (Remember, I’d only started running (at all, not just BF) on 07/31/2011!) I just hoped I would not embarrass myself on the course by having to slow down to a walk.
    I checked the forecast beginning Wednesday. Chance of flurries and high just under freezing. My run time that day was around 22 minutes, but the next was much colder and I managed nineteen. Friday, I decided to put myself through a mini-course of about ten minutes. We had gotten a trace of white stuff, barely enough to cover the ground, that day. (My usual time of day to run is afternoon or evening, between 1300 and 2300, as I am not a “morning” person.)
    The big day arrived, and I was late getting to bed and then, true to form before such an event, “pre-battle nerves” kept me awake half the night! I got up around 0800, donned my sweats, jacket, cap (with a second one in the pocket if it got colder), and two layers of gloves, packed my backpack with some Dew® Code Red™ and a bottle of hot water (in case I needed to warm up during the run, and also just a good idea to have), and started out.
    Silly me! I forgot that Southeast First does not go through but is blocked where it goes past Principal Park! So I lost five more minutes backtracking in order to get to the spot. Then I missed the directions of the helpers and had to go around the block in order to turn around and get back to park! I decided to remove everything I didn’t need and left the car with only the backpack and my $25 fee in my jacket pocket. (The downside of that was that I thus had no extra money as I had to leave my hip pocket behind.)
    Just as I was crossing the street, the starting gun sounded. Oh, dear, and I still was nowhere near being ready! Of course, since this was not an actual race, I wasn’t overly concerned.
    Having never done one of these before, I had to ask where the registration table was, then got in line. THe wind was in my face, and somewhat bothersome, but I knew I’d warm up once I started running. To keep my internal heating system (which I refer to as “the furnace”) going, I would walk a few paces back and forth now and then.
    I received my bib, number 7343, and at that moment, a lady came up to me and asked if I wanted to do an on-air interview. Naturally I was ecstatic about any publicity I could receive. (I won’t reproduce that as it was in an earlier post.) I explained that I went barefoot always and everywhere, and that Forey was my hero, not only for barefoot running but also because he is often scantily clad. I added that I probably never would be a Forey as a marathon is not in my foreseeable future.
    After the interview ended, I was heading to the starting gate from inside it. A man there said my time would start right then. I told him to wait until I got on the correct side of the gate! Once I did so, I took off my right-hand glove, inhaled deeply, turned on the stopwatch, and started, then put the glove back on (I can’t operate the stopwatch with a double-layered glove on). As I learned to do early on, I begin somewhat slowly, then build up speed over maybe the first ten steps, and soon was at my usual pace. A mother with two small children was getting them going, and one toddler decided to stand right in the middle of the trail! I told her, “Don’t stop on the course!” as I swerved to avoid her. A few people noticed my bare feet as I ran by. Since I had begun so late, a number of runners were coming back already! I heard a few remarks, like, “Wow! Bare feet!” to which I just nodded and smiled. There were a few patches of unshoveled white stuff on or along the path, which I ran through so as to “leave my mark” so to speak, as well as to keep sand from building up. (I find it a delight to get my feet in the fresh kind! After it hs melted and refrozen a few times, though, it is not pleasant at all.)
    It was around the twelve-minute mark when I hit the pylon which separated the 5K course from the longer one around the lake. I turned to take the former, and encountered two young barefoot guys coming the other way! I said, “Hooray! More barefooters!” as I went by them. One of them remarked, “All right!” or some such. I reached the turnaround point and checked the time: right around fifteen minutes. Oh, my! That was not good! The other two barefoot guys slowed down a little to let me catch up. We chatted maybe a minute but they, being much younger than I am, soon outpaced me. I began to run out of wind, partly due to trying to talk. A slight upgrade was in my path. Slow down. I maintained a running pace, though not my usual one. Soon I recovered and resumed speed. I began to pass others who had decided to take it as a walk. One of them congratulated me on getting that far and that I would do the event for Forey.
    Finally the gate appeared, and as I crossed it, stopped the timer at 29:33.77. Barely under a half hour! The better news was, I had completed my first 5K run!
    I made my way around the place, and saw the other two barefoot guys. How disappointing—they were no longer barefoot! I had regained my breath by then, so told them that I never covered my feet which stunned them.
    I remained a few more minutes, talking with some of the others, and one wanted a picture of my feet. I mentioned that my toenails were still decorated for Christmas, which was met with something like, “So I see!” and the photo was taken.
    I ate my sandwich, drank some of my beverage, and decided it was time to leave since I didn’t see any reason to go inside the place. (For one thing, I didn’t know if they allowed bare feet, and for another, I wouldn’t have been able to buy anything.) As I was heading to the street, one person was loading his car with his gear and remarked, “Time to put on some sh**s [how I represent that dreadful word for the objects most people put on their feet]!” to which I replied, “I don’t wear such things!” and fielded a couple interested questions. Then back across the street to my car, and headed for home, exhausted but fulfilled.
    My next scheduled run is the Iowa AIDS benefit walk/run on 04/07, and I hope to see some of you there.
    Keep up the barefoot running!