I was just stopped at Safeway

Today I had a new twist in my crazy barefoot/minimalist life. I went to Safeway to pick up some groceries and as I was walking from my car to the store a lady runs up to me and goes, "Hey! You're that barefoot guy that's been running all around the neighborhood with the black Bob Stroller!" At this point I was a little freaked out because she caught me so off guard as I was in jeans, t shirt, and huaraches and not expecting anyone to recognize me from my morning runs.

She then told me that she had posted about me on Facebook the other day to find out why I ran barefoot. At this point I was really getting nervous. Then she said shes been watching me for about a month... I really got scared at this point.

I never really quite got back to being myself while talking to this lady and I bet she could tell I was super nervous. Maybe Saypays article yesterday is right, we barefooters are a little bit socially awkward. We talked for about 5 minutes though about why I barefoot and she told me on her FB post she got some replies that a barefoot woman had won the Portland Marathon and that there is this huge barefoot movement. Not sure if the barefoot woman winning Portland Marathon is true or not, I don't know how to fact check something like that.

Overall, this lady was very nice and receptive about barefoot running and I'm sure if she sees me on the road during one of her runs she will probably run with me and talk some more. Hopefully I will be a little more prepared to talk next time.

...or she might just get so

...or she might just get so excited she'll run you over.

You two just got off on the wrong foot. Maybe she was feeling a little awkward in the situation, too. If she calms down you might enjoy the exchange more.

When I saw the title I was

When I saw the title I was getting ready to customize a letter tailered to your particular tossing in order to help you fight barefoot phobic grocers.

Never mind.

And congrats on becoming a local celebrity!

Safeway!  Now that's a blast

Safeway! Now that's a blast from the past. We don't have Safeway out here in Georgia.

I was thinking the same thing too, Board.

Sounds like you either have a fan...or a stalker!

Seriously, I like her enthusiasm for our sport!

My first thought was stalker,

My first thought was stalker, but then as I talked to her I think she was genuinely curious about why I barefooted. She seriously did scare me though the way she ran over, and said she posted on fb about me, and had been watching me for a month. Gosh I hope I don't become a local celebrity. I'm not the best talker in the world and I don't want to represent barefooting in a negative light. I am fine with people I know but not so good with new people. Seriously not good.
wink.png

Alright!  That does it!  The

Alright! That does it! The next time a reporter asks us for a barefoot runner for an interview, I'm sending them your way! We'll break you out of your shell!

Ya TJ, please don't just

Ya TJ, please don't just yet.
smile.png
I'm not you or anything like that, and I surely am not good enough at it yet to be considered any sort of authority. I have done a ton of research into barefooting, but if I can't convince my wife that it's safe or better for me why would/should anyone else listen? Besides I'm that crazy guy in the family, you know the one that everyone just shakes there head at. Barefooting has earned me that title.

Nick, maybe you could use the

Nick, maybe you could use the strategy I recommended to a new member to help him look more reasonable with his BFR:

... the way to convince any SO that running BF is not so bad is to start talking about needing a skirt / kilt to run in more comfortably. When you show them how running kilts look on some web sites, your SO will express extreme unhappiness and worry. You can then take up running BF as a backup, and comparatively very reasonable compromise position. They will heave a sigh of relief and thank you. Voila!

It won't work for the broad community but might be just what you need en famile.

Run well!

Nick, if you get stopped by

Nick, if you get stopped by any more women just send them my way. thanks.

Mike

I'm the black sheep too. 

I'm the black sheep too. Makes me wonder. Who else here is a black sheep? And why is a black sheep such a taboo thing? I think they're cute and cuddly.

Guess who I ran into today? 

Guess who I ran into today? I ran with this lady for a minute or two today. Today is my last run before my 5k so I wasn't able to stick around at a slower pace with her because I had a training plan I was trying to stick to for today. She was very nice and I watched her run for a minute, Mike get your head out of the gutter, and even though she runs shod she has a pretty good form except for the way she sticks her elbows out to the side. She was landing midfoot with her feet underneath her and had a nice short stride. She said she was thrilled because her husband was home today so she didn't have to run with the stroller today. Nice lady, wish I wouldn't have been on a fast run day, miss having someone to talk to on runs.

On a sidenote, I found out today that I think I should be able to keep a 9 min/mile or better pace over my 5k this weekend which makes me happy. It's supposed to be a real flat and fast course, gonna check it out tomorrow to see how barefoot friendly it is. Getting really excited as I have never run a 5k race. Weird, I've done 10k and half marathons (all while shod) but never a 5k.

Hey Nick, think of a 5k as a

Hey Nick, think of a 5k as a quick, fun social event. After the runs you've done, you'll be amazed at how quickly the finish line arrives. At ~9 m/m., you're looking at 28 or 29 minutes of effort. You'll hardly break a sweat!

And, yes, it is very nice to have company for a run now and then. If that company happens to be female, that's good. If she has to slow down a little for me, even better! (It doesn't happen for me very often either.) That's is one of the advantages I remember from being a member of a running club.

My problem with a running

My problem with a running club right now is that I go to school at night and then I also push my son around in his stroller. This is the same reason I don't get to run trails very often.

Man, Nick...so you couldn't

Man, Nick...so you couldn't talk her out of her shoes? Yeah, I think you need to hand her off to Migangelo! LOL! JK

I love my running club! If yours is big enough, you can find people who can run when you can and the pace you keep. They are usually pretty cheap too.

Good luck on your 5K race! Be sure to post up your time. I was thrilled when I finally ran a 29!

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test