I want to create my own minimalist shoes

nck

Barefooters
Sep 30, 2017
Spain
I've already ordered some materials including:
-Around 120x100cm leader , 2mm
-One vibram lisk sheet of 4mm (50x60cm)
-Some tools to shave, puncture, and measure the leader holes.
-Cyanocrilate to glue sole and leader.
-Leader thread (150D).
-A thick leader thread for the upper side of the shoe

Everything will arrive around Christmas.

The easiest example I've found is this one. With other shoes I can't find much information, or look too complicated for a complete beginner:
turnshoe.jpg

I'm planning to take for the sole nd heel side 2 layers of leader (4mm) and 1 layer of the vibram (4mm) instead of the rubber dust. With some use probably the leader will go down to 1-2mm, so in total they will have 5-6mm of flexible sole.

I'm also planing to create a prototype with felt first, to avoid making a mistake with the leather which is really expensive. I got a cheap and ugly one to experiment though.
What do you think?, Any tips or suggestion?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Cyanoacrylate is brittle. For shoes you want an adhesive that's flexible. The standard shoe adhesive is Barge Cement, which is all I've used. Well, I have tried Shoe Goo, but it's not really an adhesive and doesn't work well for that.

Reactions: nck
I though that it was flexible :facepalm:. I have to buy it in spain and in the website where I bought it, translated literally it says:
Name: "Cyanoacrylate Glue for flexible footwear"
Description: "Instant flexible Cyanoacrylate glue ideal for footwear or leather. Glues the surfaces in seconds and guarantees the best gluing"

I doesn't say anything else, looks like this:
https://reparacion.curtidosanton.com/pegamento-cianoacrilato-calzado-flexible.html

Do you think is a bad idea to try it? In worst scenario would just unglue?

I can't find barge cement here in Spain, does it have a generic name?

I'm sorry for not updating. The materials didn't arrive on time and I had to move from my partents house, so I'll have to wait some months till I get everything.