I think treadmills are out to get me.

Man on Soles

Chapter Presidents
Oct 17, 2010
Two days ago, it was incredibly cold outside and decided that I didn't feel like going for a run outside at 0100. Just wasn't feeling it. So, I went to the gym and tore my feet up on the treadmills that were in there. I have five blisters and one was ripped open then it occurred to me that my form needs some work if I'm getting blisters like this after a short run. But that didn't make sense, I could run all day on the pavement and only end up with dirty feet. So, I'm calling upon the experience of the Society for some thoughts as to why "treadmills = devil"

I do have a couple thoughts, I think that layer of dirt that accumulates on our pads when running outside helps our feet stay dry and resilient to friction damage. Well, obviously, the treadmill is straight up rubber and skin increasing the friction that our feet must deal with. Also, I get the feeling that running on a treadmill changes the way our feet interact with the "ground" when running to stay in place, rather than running to move.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I have a friend who

I have a friend who experienced the same thing. Pretty sure its because the tread moves beneath your foot, sanding it, if you will. The ground isn't spinning at 10mph when you run on it, your feet are moving at 10mph over the ground. So the contact you make on the treadmill is with a moving surface, which causes more friction than you're used to. Also, I think you're right about the rubber having something to do with it. The surface of the tread isn't smooth, people would slip off if they were (ASSUMPTION WARNING).

It's probably a friction burn

It's probably a friction burn that's caused your blistering. Not only that, the belt really heats up. Some people claim their belts are very hot; others claim the opposite. It could be your dreadmill. You can go to a sporting store that sells them to try them out to see if some of the other models are also producing the same heat. Also, lots of people complain of blistering when running barefoot on the treadmill. Not only do you have to build your soles up for it, but you also have to be extra mindful of your form until you are used to running barefoot on the treadmill. Mrs. Dama just ran (I think she said) a 50K on her treadmill without complications, but she's been doing this awhile.

Yeah, I did notice that it

Yeah, I did notice that it was heating up a little. In fact, it was getting uncomfortable and I moved myself a few inches to the left or right to let them cool down on the unused portion of the tread. Also, does the bottom of your foot produce oil or moisture? The hand doesn't produce oils, and I don't think our feet should either. That just doesn't make any evolutionary sense.
I've got a good solution for me.... don't run on treadmills. haha.

Oh and 50K!! much props, especially on a treadmill.

I have personally never had

I have personally never had any problems at all out of my treadmill. The belt does get a little warm, but nothing really all that bad. If I am not doing a gravel run or a trail run, I will do a treadmill run. I do however think you get a better workout running outside than on a treadmill. I guess it all depends on the person. I have never gotten a blister on a treadmill though.

Blisters or not, you deserve

Blisters or not, you deserve giant applause for surviving the treadmill for that long. Even if I could run that distance, I'd never be able to do the mental distance on a treadmill. I barely did 30 minutes on ours the other night without killing someone. If hubby hadn't totally pissed me off right before I got on, I don't think I would have stayed more than 10.

YOU. ARE. AWESOME.

yeah, well I guess it does

yeah, well I guess it does depend on the person. I think I'll just run around outside, and learn to bear the cold when the cold months get here. Thanks for the input ladies and gentlemen!!

Also, Peggy really knows how to boost an ego! lol, I think I'm going to go for a run now!

I'm not a big fan of

I'm not a big fan of treadmills either, they do alter your form while running I believe. I tend to get more shin soreness on a treadmill.

I think that as they don't simulate running on solid ground that your feet get confused about how hard to land and the timing gets thrown out.

I rarely get shin pain when running on the pavement or beach but put me on a treadmill and I'll last only around 15 minutes. They are pretty boring as well.

Neil

I've found that wearing

I've found that wearing tighter-fitting running socks really helps with blisters on my treadmill... still prefer running outside if over ~15-20
wink.png