I Need Your Help: The Ohio Statehouse

How about drawing a shoe on

How about drawing a shoe on your barefeet, maybe with some laces or a Nikey Swoosh or something.

Maybe a shoe top with the bottom cut off.

Lots of options.

Exactly, does the law state

Exactly, does the law state the shoe must cover the foot completely?

How about those shoe bottoms that stick to the feet but don't have a top? That would mess with their heads!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Ahcuah,

Barefoot TJ said:
Ahcuah, will the law specifically say that shoes have to be worn on the "feet?"

No. The actual text of it just says "fully attired--including shoes or comparable footwear". But don't forget that it will be State Troopers enforcing it. State Troopers have no sense of humor, and view practically everybody as perps. If you try the old "the rule doesn't say they have to be worn on the feet", they'll say, "I'll arrest you anyways and you can see how things turn out in court."

Well, if you need a character

Well, if you need a character reference, Board, I got your back!

I've been summoned for jury

I've been summoned for jury duty in February, and they listed an extensive dress code on the form.

Proper attire is required : no swimsuits, swim trunks, tank tops, halter tops, shorts, sweat suits, camouflage garments, or exercise garb are permitted in the courtroom. Hats, caps, and hoods must be removed.

Of course I consulted with my attorney and noted that there was no mention of footwear.

"We might as well drive together, you'll need me to get you out of jail by 9:00 a.m." was his response.

Same kind of thing, he said that I would be arrested and thrown in jail despite me not violating any of the code.

"Proper attire says it all, and they won't care who considers what proper, you're going to jail"

I think I'll go with my New Balance slip-ons sockless, it will be the coldest month of Michigan's winter after all.

Sure hope I'm not selected........I plan on leaving for FL the following week. Shoes all day for a two week trial vs 10 days of 100% barefoot time in warm weather? I better practice my crazy attitude and responses in order to be sure not to be wanted by either side.

Longboard wrote:I've been

Longboard said:
I've been summoned for jury duty in February, and they listed an extensive dress code on the form.

. . .

Of course I consulted with my attorney and noted that there was no mention of footwear.

"We might as well drive together, you'll need me to get you out of jail by 9:00 a.m." was his response.

Same kind of thing, he said that I would be arrested and thrown in jail despite me not violating any of the code.

I blogged about the issues of barefoot jury duty a while back: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/barefoot-jury-duty/

You might see how much of it your attorney agrees with. But, of all the people who might do jury duty barefoot, I think you're the one most likely to be successful at it!

Another thing to keep in mind is that so many people try to get out of jury duty that they're pretty desperate; if they are being rational (I know, a big assumption), they'd want to keep somebody willing to do it.

Anyways, consider NOT bringing footwear; that weakens any argument. If after all the arguments mentioned in my blog entery, they still send you home to get some, let them. I suspect they'd cave before dealing with such complications.

And always be ready to tell them that if they let you serve barefoot, they will NOT notice any decrease in courtroom decorum.

Being self employed and the

Being self employed and the only one in the office licensed to provide most services each day I show up at the courthouse I lose money.

My goal is to only lose one day of work, and leave for FL the following week.

But if i were retired and stuck in MI for the winter, or if I were employed somewhere that gave credit for jury duty, I'd give it a shot.

I will walk in to the courthouse barefoot but have slip-ons with me, fully expecting to have to put them on.

Returning the next day and having to wear them anyways would not be worth rescheduling all the patients.

They have no idea how jury duty messes with the self employed. If I plan on not being selected, I must give patients advance notice of appointments. If I assume I will be selected, who knows how many days to cancel all scheduling for?

Then if I'm not selected, what do I do for those days........go ice fishing?

I'm planning on a one day event, and scheduling accordingly.

" Ms. Jones, we're going to have to cancel your appointment for tomorrow, Doc has jury duty"

"I thought that was yesterday, did they actually take that opinionated SOB for a trial?"

"No, he just was turned away for being barefoot. He has to return tomorrow with shoes"

"He forgot his shoes? It's below zero out! Is he finally losing it?"

"Not sure..........."

Board, remember when I was

Board, remember when I was summoned to jury duty? I found that among being the caretaker of a child not in school all day allowed me to be dismissed from jury duty, another good reason was being the boss of a self-employment, such as yours. You would qualify here in Georgia. Check the rules where you are.

That's the way I felt about

That's the way I felt about it too. I don't mind doing my duty, but just let me do it comfortably, where I'm not sitting there in pain just to please someone's absurd sense of vanity/modesty.

Already did, I can get a one

Already did, I can get a one time postponement, that's it.

Used to be different, but in Oakland County MI NOBODY gets off for more than a few months depending on circumstances.

A surgeon I know had a full schedule of cases and a cruise already booked. One time postponement is all he could get.

Got to do my civic duty, just wish I could do it barefoot.

I will have to start watching

I will have to start watching for barefeet in Austin. I wear my VFFs to work on Fridays sometimes and have walked all around the Capitol with no problem. And we have a State Trooper in every wing.

I would not be so harsh as saying they have no sense of humor. The guys themselves are usually good dudes who put a lot on the line for our safety, but they have to feed their families and if they don't enforce the rules made by others, that can take food off their plates.

Hope it works out for you. Part of my job is to testify before committees. If you ever want help with any drafts or anything feel free to message me.

You're right.  The editor is

You're right. The editor is a nut case. He thinks bare feet are disrespectable in the Capitol building but flip-flops are acceptable.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7