I need materials

Discussion in 'Gear & Footwear' started by kozz, Oct 23, 2015.

1. kozz

kozz
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

I need super-thin but tough rubber to improve some devices I make to protect my skin from peeling when sprinting barefoot on a track or rough pavement.

Currently I have a big sheet of 1/16" butyl rubber which results in serviceable but clunky skin-guards that tear apart after two or three uses. That's less than 2mm but still a bit too thick and not flexible enough.

Where can I get rubber that's 1mm thick but durable? It doesn't have to be thin like latex, just thin enough to be flexible.

1/16" butyl was the thinnest stuff I could get from my local industrial rubber store.

2. Christian Lemburg

Christian Lemburg
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Germany &...

Butyl rubber is airtight, that is the purpose of using it, e.g., in inner tubes of tires etc.; it is not particularly durable. I guess you want to look for natural rubber, which has the desired characteristics, e.g., material used for making bicycle tires' tread surfaces. http://www.allsealsinc.com/materials.html has a quick summary of rubber types, I am sure you can find out more by some simple googling.

3. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Vibram sells 1mm and 2mm in Pro Tania sheets. Some might consider it expensive.
    I made a pair of huaraches with the 2mm and it's held up fine for me. Though, I don't sprint in them.

4. randicoot

randicoot
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

There's some interesting stuff here: https://www.ahh.biz/fabric/rubberized/. I have some of the stuff with the little dots texture but I haven't done anything with it yet. At 1/32", it's thin and flexible (not very stretchy) but seems like it would be durable though.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. kozz

kozz
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

That could be the right stuff. Yes it's expensive - if it's sole-worthy I wouldn't need a whole big sheet of it.

They claim it is extremely flexible, is this true? I need flexibility but not a lot of elasticity.

Also do you know anywhere to get the real barge cement, not the reformulation, in tubes instead of cans?

6. Sly

Sly
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Portugal

Sid likes this.
  7. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

The Pro Tania is flexible, but not stretchable. For example, could easily wrap around a can, but not a ball.

Barge All Purpose Original does not appear to be supplied in tubes.
    http://www.bargeadhesive.com/products.html

8. Sly

Sly
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Portugal

my moccasins, with thin leather (<1,2mm)
    very flexible !
    but too much flexible for sandals, thats why I chose to make moccasins
    its great for road and trails, not good for mud and wet
    anyway, I run 95% barefoot
    [​IMG]