I Had Fun!

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Alejandro 10, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I haven't stopped letting my wife know how much of a good time I had this morning! I hope I can make next month's.

Mokaman, I know we ended up with 4.15 miles, but do you know how much time we were out for? I think it was about an hour and forty, but am uncertain.

Gracia y paz,

a

2. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Thanks for the numbers. Did

Thanks for the numbers. Did you by chance bump into the minimalist in orange NB Minimus Trails. He passed us heading your way as we drove out. I would think that university students just finding some independence and freedom from home would include BFR as a part of their "utopian change the world" college-to-do things, so what he said to you seems to fly in the face of that idea for me.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your run!

Gracia y paz,

a

3. mokaman

mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

It was about 1:04:20 for 4.3

It was about 1:04:20 for 4.3 miles roughly on my Garmin...slow pace overall but we had a lot run/walk mix because of the gravel/wooded trails and finding out where to go on the over grown trail parts. Total time was more... since I stopped my watch sometimes when we stopped.

Good run overall...I ran a few more miles after you all left and did briefly talk to another barefoot runner in the park...he said he had been barefooting for 3 years and didn't know of any on-line barefoot runner groups...so I told him about BRS etc.

4. mokaman

mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

The barefooter I saw was an

The barefooter I saw was an older guy with a little gray hair but he was carrying Vibrams, his utopian phase is probably over with...didn't see anyone in the NB trail shoes. I know young people really like Vibrams in general, the next generation of runners will grow up with barefoot and minimalist shoe running as a normal thing.

I had a good time running there today, Lullwater is a nice place in the big city.

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

It was nice meeting you Aaron

It was nice meeting you Aaron and Mike and good to see you again, Terry and Jesse.

[​IMG]

Mike, Aaron (Alejandro 10), Terry (Mokaman), Jesse, and not pictured, me

6. MikeMoAtl

MikeMoAtl Barefooters
    1. Georgia

TJ - Thanks for organizing

TJ - Thanks for organizing the run. It was great to meet everybody and learn about a great intown place to run!

7. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Mike,It was nice to meet you

Mike,

It was nice to meet you as well. I hope that blister gets straightened out soon.

Gracia y paz,

a

8. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Say, I hadn't thought to ask,

Say, I hadn't thought to ask, and I don't know why... I suppose I was caught up in chatting and not really thinking about it.

Did any of you notice anything I could work on form wise? I know a lot of it is personal, but also know that most barefooters seem to have nearly identical form, i.e. Mcdougall and others' observations.

Cheers,

a

9. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Since you were running behind

Since you were running behind me, I wouldn't know. :) What I know about form is that most of us won't look the same, as our biomechanics are different. If you are running comfortably and without pain or injury then I wouldn't try to change anything. If not, then maybe you could have a friend videotape you and share it in the main forum, so others can review it.

BTW, I guess no one got poison ivy. Whew! On Mike's advice, I went home and showered with Dawn dish liquid. I either am immune or that stuff did the trick. Talk about the ibby-gibbies though! I wanted to scratch all the way home but held some restraint.

10. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Barefooters
    1. Georgia

If it was there to begin with

If it was there to begin with it was a wise choice not to spread it around. I actually forgot about that possibility, so I am assuming I did not scrap any. Thank you for your response to my other question.

Gracia y paz,

a

11. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

What freaked me out the most

What freaked me out the most was when we were all having to climb over that downed tree and Mike told me I had my hand on a PI vine. Remember? I didn't know what to do with that hand after that. Ha!

12. MikeMoAtl

MikeMoAtl Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I have the same question as

I have the same question as Aaron, but didn't think to ask it while we were running. Perhaps next time, you experts could give some pointers to the newer barefoot folks. I've read the books/forums and think I know what technique I should be doing, but since I can't see myself...

Ran a short (2.5 miles), but fast true barefoot run today on broken city sidewalks and it felt fantastic. My toe is doing great (although I cheated and taped it). My right foot must be doing something wrong because the left side of the ball of my foot is beat up a bit. Not really blistered - just very dry and cracked. Guess that will give me something new to listen to on my next run.

I hope to run with the Atlanta Meetup folks on Sunday night at the Morningside Nature Preserve. Come join us if you can!

Mike

13. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

It's difficult to critique

It's difficult to critique someone's form when they are running on uneven surfaces, such as the trails we were running. We would need to see you on a flat surface over a decent distance, and even then, if your form feels right and you are not being injured by it, it doesn't matter what anyone says about it. If you were to study my form, for example, you would think I was messed up, but I'm not. I don't roll onto my toes before lift off as most "normal" healthy runners do. Because of the neuromas, I tend to lift my foot just before toe off. It works for me. I run without causing myself any injuries, so I must be doing something right.

You're still new to this, so it's going to take a little time for you to work things out for yourself. I think it's best each person try to take a good amount of time to work on their own form before they start asking others to fix them. I mean, you might not be broken, just yet. You don't need people to give advice about something that may not even need to be fixed. You don't need to try to fit some mold that doesn't fit you. If you try to run in an artificial way, one that doesn't feel right to your biomechanics, you can cause yourself some pain and injury. It's best to work it out on your own first for a few weeks, then if you find you have problems you can't fix on your own, seek help.

Yes, you have a blister, but that's something you can work through yourself, first before clouding up your form with outside opinion. Without seeing you run on a flat surface, I would say lift, lift, lift your feet and don't push off. Bend your knees more to help you be able to lift more and push less. I hope this all makes sense. It's late.