I guess it's time

themattman

Barefooters
May 31, 2011
So i typically run at least 13 miles three times a week. Well recently i have developed some pain on my lower left knee. It's causeing a sharp pain that does not feel good. So from what i read from barefoot ken bob, he says that if you are having knee pain, through away your shoes and start running barefoot.

Well i have bought a pair of Huraches. I think i will begin here. Has anyone else had a similler issue that casued them to start running barefoot? Or like my friends call it "Crazy".

Thanks

Matt

Matt, almost everyone here

Matt, almost everyone here has shed the shoes due to some pain/injury. There are some here who came in it for other reasons, but most people came here to find a way to run without being injured by it.

Let us know if your knee pain goes away in the huaraches. If it doesn't, don't give up; instead try it barefoot. Sometimes, some people have trouble, even with minimalist footwear but find they can run without pain barefoot. Take me for instance.

Ken Bob is the man!  If

Ken Bob is the man! If you're going to follow his method, be sure and get his book and read up on all of it. He also says minimalist shoes, and I'd lump Huaraches in with them, should come with a warning, because you feel almost as free as running bare, but you're not getting all the feedback and before you know it, you've done too much making you sore or you have more down time or worse an injury. He suggests only doing minimalist shoes once you've mastered barefoot, and even then, only in short stints. There is too much protection to give you all the feedback you need as a beginner and keep your form true and you injury free. I started in vibrams and I wish I'd started bare. I'd be further along thanks to less down time to heal.

The most important thing you'll learn, in my opinion, is the form used to run barefoot. The only way to nail that down is to run barefoot. Start bare and the hardest surface you have access to, start slow and in the end, you'll have more smiles per mile! Welcome to the group!

As far as knees go, I had some cartlage worked on and my ACL replaced in my left knee after a soccer injury. This is the only way I can run without pain. If you're not already taking Glucosamine with Condroiten, that would be a good thing to add to your diet too. Greatest supplement I ever started taking for my knees and joint lubrication in general!

-Jonny