I did it! Pine to Palm 100

I did it! People didn't think I could but I did. I ran 100 miles in the Siskiyous, climbed 5 peaks and survived to tell the tale. And my longest run before the race was somewhere around 19 miles back in May. No back to backs. No super long runs, but lots of strength work. Wore my Merrells the whole distance. Had some of my old injury haunts come back to bite me on the SERIOUSLY steep downhills, but I got er done and killed the b#tch! I still can't believe I did that!
http://nakedonsharppointystuff.blogspot.com/2013/09/pine-to-palm-100-september-14-2013.html?m=1

I did it! People didn't think I could but I did. I ran 100 miles in the Siskiyous, climbed 5 peaks and survived to tell the tale. And my longest run before the race was somewhere around 19 miles back in May. No back to backs. No super long runs, but lots of strength work. Wore my Merrells the whole distance. Had some of my old injury haunts come back to bite me on the SERIOUSLY steep downhills, but I got er done and killed the b#tch! I still can't believe I did that!
http://nakedonsharppointystuff.blogspot.com/2013/09/pine-to-palm-100-september-14-2013.html?m=1
congratulations!That's awesome!:D

Way to go Zap!! Nicely done!
All feeling good?

Way to go Zap!! Nicely done!
All feeling good?
I'm feeling much better now. I had my normal IT stuff start to happen in the beginning of the race on the first downhill which completely disappeared by mile 60, but by then I had overcompensated on my other leg which wasn't good and really uncomfortable by the end. I'm doing mostly gentle movement rehab work in the gym to get my body back up to speed. Lost all the skin on my heels from blisters which sucked but OMG that course was beautiful!! I'm really proud of my accomplishment but have some mixed feelings about the course. It was brutal. Half of me loved it and the other half hated it.

Reactions: dutchie53
I'm feeling much better now. I had my normal IT stuff start to happen in the beginning of the race on the first downhill which completely disappeared by mile 60, but by then I had overcompensated on my other leg which wasn't good and really uncomfortable by the end. I'm doing mostly gentle movement rehab work in the gym to get my body back up to speed. Lost all the skin on my heels from blisters which sucked but OMG that course was beautiful!! I'm really proud of my accomplishment but have some mixed feelings about the course. It was brutal. Half of me loved it and the other half hated it.
You have all the rights to be proud of yourself you earned it!! I guess the beauty of the terrain made it all worth it but I am sure you're glad that is all over and all you have to do now is glow with pride.
I hate the ITBS issues with a passion so I avoid running downhill because I know what's going to happen if I do.
Was this your first 100mi? if so will you do it again? I am just in awe that you did it.

Reactions: zapmamak
Was this your first 100mi? if so will you do it again? I am just in awe that you did it.

Yes. Hahaha! This was my first. Go big or go home, right? :p The thing is, if it weren't for the technical/mechanical issues (I struggle with tight hip flexors which could also be related to my IT band stuff) I felt SUPER strong during this race. I never bonked. Never hit a wall. I had low points, but nothing I couldn't manage or didn't snap out of. In fact for most of this race I felt super focused, alert and with very little fatigue in my muscles and even mentally in my sleep deprived state. But the course really helped because it was either technically challenging enough to keep me alert or beautiful enough that I wanted to enjoy every second of it.

So, yeah... if the right race came along I'd probably do it again - not Pine To Palm though, that was one tough and brutal race plus I've been there done that. I'd like to try something a little less "mountainous." The thing is, it has to be an adventure or I won't do it. I don't run just to run - I run for the adventure. That's why you won't find me signing up for the Western States anytime soon even though I'm now qualified. I've heard its awesome, though but its in my own backyard. Uggh.

Its not a 100 miler, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to afford to do the Caballo Blanko Ultramarathon (50 miler) in the Copper Canyons down in Mexico. That requires cash though... maybe one day. Until then, I'll keep doing the Born To Run Ultra that Luis Escobar puts on down in Los Olivos. Now THAT's a race I will do over and over. Its about the people and the experience more than the running to me. Luis puts on a fun race. :)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yes. Hahaha! This was my first. Go big or go home, right? :p
I run for the adventure. That's why you won't find me signing up for the Western States anytime soon even though I'm now qualified. I've heard its awesome, though but its in my own backyard. Uggh.

Its not a 100 miler, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to afford to do the Caballo Blanko :)
That's right all or nothing!
I am with you about not doing the same race more than once, I too, like experiencing diferent places so I try not to the the same race twice.
The only race I've done twice is Des Moines but that was a especial occasion(was meeting Angie Bee).
Yea, the copper canyon is one race that my little heart jumps with pure joy when mentioned but I am not going to do it my body is too broken for the demands of mountain running.
You could start a fund racing here with us if TJ approves it so you can go and run along Caballo Blanco's spirit. That'll be awesome!

Love this! CONGRATS, Zap! Good job! So proud of you and happy for you. YOU ROCK! Perhaps I can share this on the home page in a couple of days...that's as long as you've kept the F-Bombs to a minimum. :cool:

Reactions: zapmamak
Okay, I only counted five Fs, not bad, not bad. I surely thought there would be more. Hee.

Reactions: migangelo
Love this! CONGRATS, Zap! Good job! So proud of you and happy for you. YOU ROCK! Perhaps I can share this on the home page in a couple of days...that's as long as you've kept the F-Bombs to a minimum. :cool:

Okay, I only counted five Fs, not bad, not bad. I surely thought there would be more. Hee.

Hahaha! Tj... you know me so well! Wow! Even I'm impressed with that considering how f*cking brutal of a race it was. ;) LOL! Sure. If you would like to share I don't have a problem with that. Thank you. :)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thanks! It will be a early next week. :cool:

Awesome job Zap! Who were these doubters? I knew you would do it on attitude alone. Of course your strength training and other methods helped tremendously. I kind of knew you did it because I stalk you, but I was waiting for an official announcement here. So prepare yourself for a whole new bunch of admirers (stalkers) and a ton of questions from me. I'm gearing up for the Zion 100 and I would love to get your advice. Think about coming over. It would be great to see the Dirty Girlz there, who is next on the 100 list.

I love this quote from you in the above post "The thing is, it has to be an adventure or I won't do it. I don't run just to run - I run for the adventure." This is me lately and that attitude has worked wonders at building my mileage and keeping injuries at bay.

Again, super impressive. Well done.

Reactions: migangelo
Awesome job Zap! Who were these doubters? I knew you would do it on attitude alone. Of course your strength training and other methods helped tremendously. I kind of knew you did it because stalk you, but I was waiting for an official announcement here. So prepare yourself for a whole new bunch of admirers (stalkers) and a ton of questions from me. I'm gearing up for the Zion 100 and I would love to get your advice. Think about coming over. It would be great to see the Dirty Girlz there, who is next on the 100 list.

I love this quote from you in the above post "The thing is, it has to be an adventure or I won't do it. I don't run just to run - I run for the adventure." This is me lately and that attitude has worked wonders at building my mileage and keeping injuries at bay.

Again, super impressive. Well done.
Thanks so much dude! I'm not sure who's next... I think Jen's doing a 50 miler in October and it looks like we might all be at Born To Run this year. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to give you my somewhat novice advice. I'm excited for your run in Zion. That is by far one of my favorite courses even though I didn't run the entire course. I got to pace Mags out and around goosebump at sunset. Absolutely stunning! Its all about the adventure,man or its not even worth it!!! Ha!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100!
After a longest training run of 19 miles four months ago?
YOU ROCK!!!!!!!