I did it! and not in a good way...

I went to a dressy event tonight. I thought about going with minimal shoes like I normally would, but then I saw a nice pair of Bass shoes (basic oxford style men's dress shoes). I used to wear them with my suits, and thought one night won't kill me. Sure. Keep thinkin' that.

Should have gone barefoot. The shoes naturally had a narrow(er) toe box than I am used to, and forced my toes together enough to cause a blister on the inside top of my left big toe, which popped and is nice and sore as well as raw. Still, it could have caused an ingrown nail, but thankfully didn't. Guess the barefoot gods are a little merciful.

Seems life is trying to help me get into the barefoot lifestyle. It makes me wonder though. We always say that once you go barefoot and learn the right way to run, and then go back to wearing shoes, you'll run better. All I can think now is that wearing the shoes again is gonna hurt like heck, and not because of the way I run either. Damn things are torture devices.

John T.

dunetraveller wrote:Seems

dunetraveller said:
Seems life is trying to help me get into the barefoot lifestyle. ........ We always say that once you go barefoot and learn the right way to run, and then go back to wearing shoes, you'll run better. All I can think now is that wearing the shoes again is gonna hurt like heck, .......... Damn things are torture devices.

Running better is one thing, becoming immune to the injuries to feet shoes cause is entirely another.

Last time I wore real shoes was over a year ago for our daughter's wedding. I had to wear a rental matching tux at her request, and of course wore the shiney rental shoes. In mid-August I will be attending another wedding, and plan on wearing my Vivo Barefoot "dress" black shoes for the first time. I'm sure my feet will be SCREAMING to get out of them, but it's the kind of crowd that would misguidedly consider me being "disrespectful" if I went barefoot, which I still think looks silly in a suit. Hope I don't end up injured!

Sounds like you will heal fast DT.

Has it been a year already,

Has it been a year already, Board?! Man, time flies! I remember your sharing the pictures of that day.

Yep, Memorial day weekend

Yep, Memorial day weekend '10.

But you still can't call me Gramps.

If that happens, I'll REALLY start feeling old!

Wonder if a race will ever have a barefoot grandpa division......

You could run Grandma's

You could run Grandma's Marathon? Teasing!

Hmmmmmmmm............just

Hmmmmmmmm............just maybe!

Grandma's Marathon | Post-Race Information
T-SHIRTS, MEDALLIONS & REFRESHMENT TICKETS: T-shirts, medallions and refreshment tickets for finishers are located at the end of the finish line chutes.

Refreshment tickets can be redeemed in the Marathon Activity Area (Big Top Tent). Note: After 6 p.m. an $8 cover charge will be collected at the entrance to the Activity Area and admittance will be for those age 21 and older

Healed up nicely. Soaked my

Healed up nicely. Soaked my foot in water and antibacterial dish soap last night. Big toe returned to it's normal shape after having been pressed against my second toe all evening, scab formed over the raw area, and no pain or uncomfortable walking at all today. Was glad it was Sunday and could spend 100% of my time barefoot.

John T.

A few months ago I tried

A few months ago I tried running in my old shoes just for funzies to see what would happen. Figured I'd go out and do a nice 6 mile jog. I started out with a nice midfoot strike and thought, awesome I couldn't ever get this in these shoes before. Looks like I can still run in shoes and do it better than I did before.

By the time I got home my hips felt like they were going to explode, I couldn't run for two days because my peraformis muscle hurt so bad (which btw I had never ever had problems with). I'm not sure about about the idea of being able to run better in shoes once you've fully transitioned. In the begining when I was running in a combo of bf, frees, and normal shoes it was true, but my little experiment showed me all those areas that had grown used to the pounding when I was running in shoes couldn't handle it anymore. Actually it sort of makes me wonder if I an can run in my frees anymore, I haven't done that in about 3 months.

Say it ain't so, AJB!  Say it

Say it ain't so, AJB! Say it ain't so!

DT, that's good news. At least your toes return to their normal shape and position, whereas mine don't know what to do anymore.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS