hydration needs?

It's not silly to have a water station in a 5K when there are a lot of walkers. It can take walkers an hour to cover 5K, and they might enjoy a drink - and they won't get hyponatremia from a dixie cup of water during the course of an hour. But six? That's ridiculous.
you know, this little post of yours has me thinking----this is kind of the problem i have-----the tug between recreational water consumption (my mouth is dry on a hot day and yum), and necessary h2o replacement. I've always lived in the world of the former ( I take water on most of my bike rides and few exceed 30 miles, but my mouth gets dry and water is yummy), but I'm wondering about how to enter the world of how much do i NEED.

Tea sounds interesting, never really thought of that though my most frequent summer drink is sun brewed ice tea.

We have a Tevana close by and though its expensive I normally go and stock up a couple times a year. I just bought one of there blends of Samurai Chai Mate and White Ayurvedic Chai. Would this be something I should experiment with? The Samurai Chai is: [Made mysteriously more delicious with a caffeine-rich green mate & green rooibos blend. Cinnamon, anise, coriander, cardamom and almond are fortified with candied papaya & pineapple, orange peels, lemongrass and bright blue cornflower blossoms, all combined to help you face every new day full of strength and energy.] and the White Ayurvedic Chai is: [High quality white tea combines with cinnamon, coconut, pineapple, ginger, cardamom and cloves giving this tea a complex, sweet, full-bodied flavor.]

I started using (herbal) tea after running the Rennsteig Supermarathon in Thuringen where they had (very) sweet tea at the water tables - it was just soooo good, and the temperature was exactly right, hot enough to warm you up but you could swallow it down comfortably.

you know, this little post of yours has me thinking----this is kind of the problem i have-----the tug between recreational water consumption (my mouth is dry on a hot day and yum), and necessary h2o replacement. I've always lived in the world of the former ( I take water on most of my bike rides and few exceed 30 miles, but my mouth gets dry and water is yummy), but I'm wondering about how to enter the world of how much do i NEED.

How does "recreational water consumption" differ from thirst, then? I think it's "early thirst". I mean, when you get dehydrated - running, or even at work or around the house - there's a continuum of how urgent it is to drink, right? At first, you're like, "Hey, I could really go for a glass of water", to "I urgently need a glass of water" to "I'd drink muddy gross pond water / urine / toilet water / eat street snow (Jason, you did that, right?)."

Reactions: scedastic
Silly- yes. :)

I was on about a 16 mile run on a warm day in early spring. The pace was fast and I was overdressed. I emptied my one bottle after the first five miles, then just tried to gut it out. I was feeling dizzy at mile 10, nauseous at 11, and finally some serious brain fog by 13. I couldn't remember who else I was running with other than the guy that hung back to make sure I was okay. It was a bizarre experience. The only water source was a nasty-ass snow bank created by snow plows that had been melting for a month. I have never tasted anything a sweet as that snow. ;)

That was probably the only time I've ever been dehydrated on a run. I believe the other times were more of an issue with overheating.

Around here you might get some 'minerals' too, like bottom ash or slag from a coal powerplant or whatever they get those cinders from...

But hey, its probably better than what a lot of people eat every day out of a box or can! :confused:

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Ok, so after a normal day of working in a semi-A/C environment, some physical work, some office work, water on and off, I went out for a 45min run weighed myself before and after and lost 5lbs. It's 102F, I was in full sun and the wind is blowing hot air like a blast furnace. I was in my normal running shorts, huaraches, no shirt, no hat. Insanely hot and my my sweat was so salty it stung my eyes.

I had to take walking breaks, which I normally don't on such a short run. It's madness out there.
Good day to fight your demons.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090