hydration needs?

Agreed. The idea is interesting as it could be a possible explanation to the problem that was previously unknown. Unfortunately I'm heading into three major races and don't have a chance to experiment on really long runs. If you do experiment with this, let us know how the results end up.

Will you be using electrolytes?

Good luck on your run!

To be clear I'm not a heavy user of the products, despite my vocal endorsement. I typically will only use 1 nuun tab on a ~20 mile run, and maybe 2-3 for a 50K. Then, during the week, I'll only pop one if I notice my hands swelling or notice that I've gained a few pounds.

One of my big revelations that I might have been hyponatremic all summer long my entire life was that I was feeling like crap for a couple of weeks, and then went out for an incredibly salty Indian dinner. Despite overeating, and drinking massive quantities of water, I dropped six pounds overnight and woke up feeling great. It was a couple of weeks later that my friend gave me the Nuun. Much as I love a good Masala Dosa, the Nuun is easier and cheaper.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Jason, what does it mean if my skin just tastes funny after a run? Bathe more frequently?

One radical concept for dealing with hypohydration is to cut back on the running when it's hot. But, no, that's crazy talk!

Reactions: Bare Lee
i forgot to mention i was given some advice when i was in mexico. they'll drink water with lime and sugar and this helps them be out in the sun all day. give that a try.

I play it safe and carry a Camelbak on my longer runs. I have been stranded before with no water. I also like the pack to carry my sandals, cell phone, tp, bandaids, food. I usually don't use any of those items, but when you live in the middle of nowhere, it's better to over pack. I also use Hammer Endurolytes. Not too often, but on the longer runs or hikes. One trick I use to not over drink is I fill my Camelbak with ice and just sip it as it melts. I've had cold water for 4 hours on a trail run and in May it lasted for 6 hours in the Grand Canyon.

urine is drinkable when you're out of water. at least for two tappings that is. supposed to have good health benefits also.

Water has always been my friend. I stay away from any type of sugar drinks. My 50k race it was all water and watermelon chunks.

I think fruit is really unvalued for hot weather applications. It's awesome of course anytime, but water laden fruit like melons, pineapple, grapes, berries...etc all add some water content, make your mouth feel far less dry, and put the micro-nutrients you're losing back in your body. Lime and lemon juice is great as well. Science somehow never seems to get the balance right.....but ma nature....she knows her sh!t.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090