hydration needs?

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
So the 10k this weekend, with its 5 or so water stations (?), and runners loaded up with hydration packs, has got me wondering; on longer runs(well, for me), how much water does one need?

I know you don't need water for a measly 10k, right? I've run up to 8-9 miles in the past on hot days with no water, but is there any benefit to performance in hydrating anyways?
It's nice to have a sip when your mouth gets dry, but as I contemplate increasing my distances (say, to 10 miles and beyond, eventually), do I need to take water? Should I? I'm not a big fan of carrying things on runs, and especially since I started running bf.

What are the rules of thumb for hydration during/after runs?
I know it depends on heat and many factors, but I'd love to hear from those with more experience on how they handle hydration.

So the 10k this weekend, with its 5 or so water stations (?), and runners loaded up with hydration packs, has got me wondering; on longer runs(well, for me), how much water does one need?

I know you don't need water for a measly 10k, right? I've run up to 8-9 miles in the past on hot days with no water, but is there any benefit to performance in hydrating anyways?
It's nice to have a sip when your mouth gets dry, but as I contemplate increasing my distances (say, to 10 miles and beyond, eventually), do I need to take water? Should I? I'm not a big fan of carrying things on runs, and especially since I started running bf.

What are the rules of thumb for hydration during/after runs?
I know it depends on heat and many factors, but I'd love to hear from those with more experience on how they handle hydration.

This is what I use:

Reactions: Lomad
I don't normally run with water if I do anything less than 8 miles. Although it might depend on the day and course though. If its a harder course and really hot day I would bring a handheld at least. Hydration pack for a 10k is a bit overkill, I think. I'm small and don't weigh much so I usually won't drink more than 15-18oz. per hour and that's only after 8 or so miles.

Hydration pack for a 10k is a bit overkill, I think.
Right?!?!

I'm small and don't weigh much so I usually won't drink more than 15-18oz. per hour and that's only after 8 or so miles.

I'm looking past 8 miles, and I'm not all that large a person, either. Do you ever go without on longer than 8? When you do bring water, what type of carrier do you use? I've had the belt thingie, and that shifts around on my hips too much. I don't like the idea of weight in my hands, either. Any product recommendations?

I don't 'drink' on runs, but I get dry mouth really easily and have had to come to terms with using a handheld on all runs longer than about 4 miles, just to keep from getting dry and gaggy.

I don't really like carrying one, but it beats the heck out of a waist pack...bounce-bounce-bounce on my hips with every stride...ick, and a pack is overkill. I use this one:

images

but have expressed my preference for Lee's version in another hydration thread around here somewhere...

I tried that bottle above. I have a tendency to get really cold hands so I like the handhelds that are insulated. My favorite so far is the Nathan (I can't seem to find it online right now) but it has the red pull out soft nipple (yeah... kinda reminds me of the real thing, ha!), but its kinda small and fits my hands really well. The insulated jacket and zipper pocket are nice for carrying my keys and keeping my hands from freezing.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
These days I'll carry a one litre Camelback waist pack for anything over 15 miles when the temperature is over 85. 2 or 3 years ago I was carrying it for most summer time runs and re-filling it before I got to 15 miles.
Your needs will change with your level of experience (and exertion)!

I like the Nathan hand held. I recently got the Nathan camel back too for runs over 14 or 15 miles in this hot weather. I like it better than the camel back brand. It fits more comfy and has a couple of front pockets for salt pills.

Reactions: zapmamak
I live in a very warm climate region. During the winter, I drink water about every 20min. During the spring and fall, I drink water every 15min. During the summer, I drink a sports drink every 15min. and the bottle is put in the freezer the night before. It will be completely melted within an hour of the run. During the summer and winter, I use an insulated Ultimate water bottle (it sounds like the Nathan water bottle others have mentioned). During the spring and fall, it is more likely going to rain and so the insulation is kind of annoying, so I have another Ultimate water bottle without the insulated part. I use a handheld during runs of 2hrs or less. Runs of about 3hrs I usually use a waist pack and keep it tight around my waist. Runs of 4hrs or more I will take both and alternate drinking from each.

I don't drink anything in races that are 10k or shorter. A half marathon I might drink two or three times. During a marathon, I usually try to grab something at each station, but usually only take a sip of what is in the cup. I don't drink as much in a race as I do when I am out on a regular training run.

As others have said, water needs vary greatly by individual, exertion level, climate, altitude, etc.

Five water stations in a 10k and people wearing hydration packs? That's absurd. Or good marketing.

RIGHT?!?!
And the most hilarious part is that I felt like such a snob for saying no-----everyone else seemed to be stopping at every opportunity. Like I said, the one time there was that adorable little girl, and I couldn't say no to her, but I knew I didn't need it.......
But what's the science on this? Is there any reason I should PLAN on bringing water for runs longer than say 9-10 miles, or is that something I can try out and see?

And moreover, for the FB site, there were comments like "oh, thanks for having more water stations this year." Like they had complaints for not having enough the year before.

Totally ridiculous! Might as well have a pasta dinner in the middle of a 5k!

This is a subjective thing that you figure out through your body's cues over time and in my experience your hydration needs will change quite a bit as you train.

I havent ever drank mid run until recently, when temps of in the 80s or more and I'm running about 6-8 miles atleast. I happened across this on sale for 50% off and just bought it for the heck of it and it works pretty well for me.

N_Speed2RAutoCant_Back_4611NGA_0.jpg
nathan 2r auto cant
They are supposed to be nutrition flasks (only 8oz) but for my current ~8mi runs 16oz total seems about perfect. And if I snug it up it doesnt seem to bounce much, and I can put my keys in it, cell phone, I slip my Wakova Feather huraches onto the belt if I want backup footwear, and depending where I am I slip my pocket knife on it too. Its like my batman utility belt ;)
I like the nathan race caps too, I dont have to fiddle with opening the caps or them leaking, and dont have to touch my mouth to them either. I think for more than 16oz though it would start getting heavy and bouncing, I might go for a handheld later when I get to longer distances and need more water.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

As others have said, this is really something that each runner has to figure out on their own. I can easily go 10 - 12 miles on a warm day with no water. I almost always bring a handheld on runs over 8 miles b/c that is how I race and I think my arm might revolt if I went from never carrying a handheld to trying to carry one for 50 miles. However, once the temp gets up towards 100 things can change pretty fast and running multiple days in a row in 100+ heat can really wear you down and make it hard to stay hydrated.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090