Huarches: Leadville experiences?

megabarefoot

Barefooters
May 11, 2011
I've decided that I'm going to purchase the leadville from luna sandals. Mainly because I want something completely open for biking and more aggressive trails and surfaces yet offers enough protection that peddle pressure and otherwise nasty objects don't translate directly to the foot. I can't decide if I should go with the leather or not. I ask because I currently have huaraches made with 4mm cherry material and the foot bed kind of bothers me at times, almost like there are hot spots, and the leather foot bed seems like a good way to make it nice and comfy over long periods of biking. I also find I just can't "relax into them" when doing casual stuff like walking in the store or something.

So for you folks that have the leadville: Do you, at all, fine the foot bed to be abrasive? How slippery and inconvient is the leather foot bed in wet conditions? Not there will be many wet conditions but it's nice to know. I understand the leadville uses a different rubber than the cherry, so perhaps it'll be fine without the leather. I'm trying to make the smartest choice I can; Given that these sandals represent a steep investment in what amounts to rather modest foot wear.

I have the original luna's

I have the original luna's with the leather footbed. I love the the leather on it, after awhile it creates a nice impression of your foot, which makes it even more comfy and nice custom fit. I don't have the leadvilles, but you can't go wrong the leather footbed.

The Leadville uses 10mm

The Leadville uses 10mm neoprene. Neoprene is a stiffer form of soling material than Vibram cherry that will mold to your foot over time. Here's the thing about the Leadville. It's a one trick pony. It's for very, very long and aggressive trail running and other activities.

You'll get more than enough protection from the 6mm neoprene of the Original Luna. Again, stiffer than Vibram cherry and thicker, so you'll have adequate protection. And you'll be able to use it in more situations. And it's cheaper.

Get it with the leather footbed. You'll really like it. It's the best all around sandal out there.

I'm tempted to get a pair of

I'm tempted to get a pair of Leadvilles to try out on the next 12hr or 24hr race I tackle. Currently, my originals can get me to around 20 miles before they start feeling "hot". I'm usually ok with this for a bit longer and can complete marathons with them but would like to know if the extra thickness of the Leadville's will get me a bit farther.

Side note - I bought the Merrell Trail Gloves in hopes of being able to run a 50-miler in but they start hurting at around 18 miles. Both the original Lunas and the VFF Treks have gotten me through a 50k and I don't think the MTGs will even get me close to that distance.

I think I know what you mean

I think I know what you mean by "hot" and I doubt the thickness of your footwear has much to do with that. Do your lunas have the leather footbed? I would think the neoprene material would have the greater potential for hot spots over the leather; then again I've never jogged with leather soles.

It must be nice to be able to go those distances. My form isn't yet efficient enough to allow for that.

I'm thinking it has more to

I'm thinking it has more to do with the sole material rather than the leather footbed. Or perhaps even the temperature of the surface I'm running on and how the sole material transfers the heat?

The reason I propose this is because I just went for my first run in a pair of Luna Recyclados and my forefoot got hot after only 5 miles or so. Outside temp was probably pushing 80 degrees and I was running on asphalt.

Another note - first time running with the equus laces and they gave me some rather nice blisters.

I don't plan on doing too

I don't plan on doing too much running in mine; it's really annoying when something so expensive (for what it is) gives you blisters. Has it happened since that one time?

Fortunately, Ted and the monkeys are good about returns, even if you just don't like it.

I got a similar blister issue

I got a similar blister issue with the Equus laces. They cut me up real good right where the lace folds over itself. After that I've had no issues. Love the laces now.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts