Huaraches?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by fmagic, Jul 5, 2011.

1. fmagic

fmagic Chapter Presidents
    1. Pennsylvania
    2. California...
    3. Presidents

Has anyone here in PA tried huaraches yet? I just ordered a kit from InvisibleShoe.com. I figured I would check them out for the fun of it. I figure my plantar fasciitis is going to go away eventually and I'll be back to minimalist shoes soon enough (I hope!)

2. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

What did you do to yourself? I hope your feet are back in service soon. PF?! I didn't know BF running could do that.

I'd be happy to hear how your huaraches work for you. I've been tempted but not to the point of actually doing something about it. I have my Bikilas for when my own soles aren't up to the situation. Invisible shoes sound like a good deal though.

Luck! and good running.

3. capmikee

capmikee Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I wear huaraches from InvisibleShoe. I like them in summer because they're the only shoe I can wear without socks. I get all kinds of fungus problems if I wear closed shoes with no socks.

I've had problems with the cord between the toes - it's tricky to adjust it so it doesn't hurt but it's not too loose. I've started using the toga-style lacing, which seems to help.

The huaraches do a pretty good job of protecting my feet from burning hot pavement - there's a lot of that in the city. There's a funny thing about them though - they make the ground feel harder. My feet get tired and even feel bruised if I wear them for a long time. When I take them off, the ground feels soft again - even if it's concrete.

4. Steve

Steve Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I'm in thee process of making my first pair now. I bought some 4mm Vibram rubber and leather on e-bay and glued them together over the weekend. (The videos on Youtube from Invisibleshoe.com were more helpful than Barefoot Ted's videos) Hope to have them done in a few days... can't wait to try them out. Definitely cheaper than my Vibrams. Sorry I don't have any reviews yet, but I'll post my thoughts as soon as my feet give me some feed back... (or is it 'feet-back??) Happy running!

5. fmagic

1. Pennsylvania
    2. California...
    3. Presidents

I suspect my Broad Street Run training was the cause... I am pretty sure my form was getting messy as I increased my distance, and I probably started heel striking at the higher miles. As for the huaraches, I wil definitely share feedback after I get my kit and get them together.

6. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Ah! The Broad Street Run. I hear it's all downhill, which cn be hard on the heels.

7. Unshod Sarah

Unshod Sarah Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I just ordered BFT's hurraches! So exited. I had plantar faciaitis last year. SUCKED. It took 6 months of PT to get rid of it. I moved to a more mid-foot strike and spend more time totally barefoot. It's gone now, but whenever I have any heel pain I stretch and stretch and stretch.

8. fmagic

1. Pennsylvania
    2. California...
    3. Presidents

I got them together already... and I have even taken my first walk in them. They take some getting used to, especially the tying, however, there is a method of tying them that essentially leaves them like a flip flop for easy entry (slip on style). I am using that and so far I love it. Here's a picture of my first attempt at wearing them:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KxjybdgoC7BKivISgTLj94z-Pqa7_DUQ1lmII-X0Yrg?feat=directlink

9. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Does the neat ankle band come with?

10. fmagic

1. Pennsylvania
    2. California...
    3. Presidents

Sorry, the dolphin anklet is not going anywhere. That was a souvenir from my recent adventure in Ecuador. They were cheap ($1) and I really regret not buying extras.

11. Hipstersazzles

Hipstersazzles Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I have a pair From Invisible Shoes and I love them. I wear them most of the time. Walked all over Germany and France with them a few weeks ago. My feet do tend to get tired in them after a while, and I know because I am wearing a sole, I tend to slap my feet when I get tired, but that’s a me thing, not a shoe thing.

The cord doesn't bother me like I thought it would though.

12. Hipstersazzles

Hipstersazzles Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I have a pair From Invisible Shoes and I love them. I wear them most of the time. Walked all over Germany and France with them a few weeks ago. My feet do tend to get tired in them after a while, and I know because I am wearing a sole, I tend to slap my feet when I get tired, but that’s a me thing, not a shoe thing.

The cord doesn't bother me like I thought it would though.