Huaraches as tools in ultras

Cool! what is the footbed material on those? Im basing all my assumptions on my slick tanned leather foot beds...

The tanned leather is slicker Chaser than a nekid top. I have some well worn leather ones though that are actually kinda sticky to the barefeet now though. Love 'em but they are on their last few miles.

yep, wot JR says.

Actually a bit better, particularly in the cold and dry. Socks are useless in the wet with huaraches though, for obvious reasons. I did consider wearing a pair for a 10k race last December, but it had been raining heavily and I knew the course (very local) would be several inches deep for large part of it and the socks would be rapidly saturated.

Mine all have suede tops, some more worn than others, with paracord laces.

yep, wot JR says.

Actually a bit better, particularly in the cold and dry. Socks are useless in the wet with huaraches though, for obvious reasons. I did consider wearing a pair for a 10k race last December, but it had been raining heavily and I knew the course (very local) would be several inches deep for large part of it and the socks would be rapidly saturated.

Mine all have suede tops, some more worn than others, with paracord laces.
I actually have found that while the socks may get soaked fast, they warm right back up within 30 seconds or so after getting out of the puddles (down to about 28 deg F that is, not sure for colder temps as we don't get much colder than that here). My problem is that socks hold the wet to your feet which can cause more issues with skin getting soft and prune like.

when the ground is frozen in oregon i've used my sandals to run. naked tops. moisture doesn't work with leather or suede. ice on the other hand makes for a slippery run. i go sockless. it's only cold starting out and when i stand still waiting for the dog to make his business calls.

After hearing his tales, I think I'd opt for a zero-dropped hiking boot (it such a thing were possible) and some sort of sawbriar-proof leg chaps.

I know you were joking but I did notice vivo makes minimalist hikers (both in hi and mid tops)

I assume they are zero drop but I dont think the specs actually say that. I'm debating getting them for hiking. Just wish they had a more breathable non-waterproof version. Oh and I have some kevlar chainsaw-proof chaps too if you want to borrow them. But be warned they are a tad heavy and stiff.:D