Huaraches as tools in ultras

I think it depends on terrain and conditions...

Rocky will be bare for me. And 2013 Im shooting for the 100, bare if the weather provides.

Hmmmm..... I wonder if Jason will show up this year? A three way battle to be crowned the BF Champion of Rocky Raccoon! The winner of the dual gets to rub their hands through the back hair of Rocky himself. Do you think he is still at that Redbox?

RR is still on my radar. I was bummed I got hurt this year. I thought about a barefoot 100 several times during Bighorn... specifically the hours between 3-5 am. I was tired as hell and fatigued; my legs felt like lead. I caught my toes on several rocks, one of which cut through my shoe. Granted, it was a mountain ultra, but hitting your foot on anything that hard would likely do some degree of damage. I think the key to running a hundo barefoot will be surviving that period without bashing your feet on rocks or roots.

The only other dream race is The Barkley Marathons... I would probablly wear Trail Gloves. Too much elevation for huaraches, and too many sawbriars for barefoot.

I ran with John Lacroix (Sherpa John) for a few miles at Bighorn on Friday. He ran one loop at Barkeley last year... he said it was one of the best and worst experiences of his life. After hearing his tales, I think I'd opt for a zero-dropped hiking boot (it such a thing were possible) and some sort of sawbriar-proof leg chaps.

Chaps with or without...oh never mind. I guess those aren't the same as kilts. :oops:

Barkley would be a good 3 years out at earliest. Id like to tackle a few "normal" hundreds first before I attempt The Barkleys...

Jason, I agree about the rocks and roots issue. Rocky, although not rocky, is quite rooty. Those last few miles on each loop were pretty rough. But those will be coming into and out of the final aid station, so Ill be somewhat "fresh"...

Chase, I've given the whole barefoot hundo tons of thought over the years. My two "attempts" were both at Burning River. The course was mostly barefoot-friendly with a ten mile rough section starting at mile 22 or so. I never made it to the night. The first year I donned KSOs and DNFed at 64; the second I made it to 34 then put on some Invisible Shoes. If it weren't for that one section, I think it would have been possible.

I really think you'd have a great shot given your experience this last year. Having a pacer that's familiar with the course can help tremendously as they can pick out the best lines through trails and alert you to major obstacles. I'd also suggest a good lighting strategy. I started using handhelds versus headlamps in an attempt to better judge the height of obstacles for barefooting at night.

Chase, I've given the whole barefoot hundo tons of thought over the years. My two "attempts" were both at Burning River. The course was mostly barefoot-friendly with a ten mile rough section starting at mile 22 or so. I never made it to the night. The first year I donned KSOs and DNFed at 64; the second I made it to 34 then put on some Invisible Shoes. If it weren't for that one section, I think it would have been possible.

I kind of put the barefoot 100 in the novelty category. I would like to do one but it just seems like you are adding one more layer of potential issues to an already complex situation. I would take the strategy of throwing worrying about your finish time out the window and base everything on cutoff times. I would walk any rooty / rocky section during the dark. Stepping on an oddly placed rock or catching a root with my toe can throw my mood in the dumpster with the quickness. It seems like that could really be a back breaker at 3:00 am in the morning after running 80 miles or so. I think it would be more of mental issue than a physical one, well unless you broke your toe or something.

I really think you'd have a great shot given your experience this last year. Having a pacer that's familiar with the course can help tremendously as they can pick out the best lines through trails and alert you to major obstacles. I'd also suggest a good lighting strategy. I started using handhelds versus headlamps in an attempt to better judge the height of obstacles for barefooting at night.

Yeah, I think having already run 50 bf miles out there gives Chase a great reference point to work from. What do you think of combing headlamps with handhelds? What handhelds are you using?

Also, congrats on finishing Bighorn. How is the knee?

I was thinking about the lighting issue just the other day actually. The headlamp I used seemed to do a damn fine job when it got dark during my 50, but I was only in the dark for an hour or two. If I attempt a 100 Ill be in the dark for anywhere from 12 to 14 hours, and who knows where I will be as far as mental capacity goes.... Not that it could get much worse!

Im thinkig at least one hand held, and a headlamp. Might have to carry extra batteries for each just in case.

As far as a pacer is concerned... Im a little unsure of that. Me and David (NSDR) ran pretty much the whole 50 together last time, and helped pull each other through the low times, but I think our dynamic was what worked there. Im a bit of a strange guy, and I know that. Finding a pacer that wont want to choke me out or sprint off in the opposite direction within the first 15 mjnutes might be difficult. And as off as I am normally, I dont know what 80 miles and 20 hours of running will put me. Plus the course at Rocky is quite narrow in most places, and where it isnt theres not too much variability in terrain / surfaces to really make a difference.

My main concern is weather. Thats what killed Ragsdale's race. Feburary in Texas is very unpredictable. If its anything like last year then I think conditions would be damn near perfect. If its like the year before when Todd made his attempt, I wont even attempt it and Ill wear Merrell something another gloves.

Right now I need to focus on getting my body to the place where Ill be able to run 100 miles in 8 months.

As far as a pacer is concerned... Im a little unsure of that. Me and David (NSDR) ran pretty much the whole 50 together last time, and helped pull each other through the low times, but I think our dynamic was what worked there. Im a bit of a strange guy, and I know that. Finding a pacer that wont want to choke me out or sprint off in the opposite direction within the first 15 mjnutes might be difficult.
Hahaha!

That runner/pacer dynamic is important, and I hear ya about tolerating strange. The four people I typically use as pacers all have the same twisted sense of humor and don't get offended. Ever. Sadly, other runners usually overhear too much of our conversations.

I highly recommend the handheld as it allows for better terrain discrimination. I wrote an entire blog post about it, but I'm too lazy to do a search.

You're right about the weather. Wasn't it like 20° when Todd tried it? I would think it would have to be at least in the 40s at night to maintain decent sensation given the slow pace and length of night in February.

Lol, if your in the area shouldnt you be running it?!??

I think starting temps were at 19 when Todd tried it. His issue was that his feet were freezing to the wooden bridges and ripping off skin. So, if its cold, avoid bridges... lol.

Ok, a little research yields that for Rocky the avg temps for the past 15 years are as follows..

Avg high temp = 63
Avg low temp. = 38
Avg avg temp. = 50

Based off this I would say that the odds of the race being too cold to barefoot are there, but their not too high... They have had 6 years with the low temp under freezing. And there is no distinct pattern to it either... Luckily there has never been an average at or below freezing, with the lowest average being 39, and that was 2011 when the low was 19...

Wait... Werent we talking about something else?

Yes, huaraches!

We know they work well in heat, but what if its borderline freezing? How well would they perform then?

Yes, huaraches!

We know they work well in heat, but what if its borderline freezing? How well would they perform then?

The only example of someone successfully and consistently utilizing huaraches in freezing temperatures that I can think of off hand is Deacon Patrick. Does anyone know of another?

Have you seen the photos of Patrick using yaktrax? http://www.mindyourheadcoop.org/blog/?p=1558 I love how he is adapting what works in his special circumstances.

Character from Robin Hood.

I used them with Injinjis a few years back. They're okay in the cold, but the lack of traction and stability sort of blows if there's any snow. I'd opt for pretty much anything else in snow, including barefoot.

This is a great thread, and an (almost perfect) picture of the thoughts going through my head for my 70-miler in three weeks. I'm taking NB Minimus zero drop and altra samsons for definite, but also have an older pair of trail gloves adn huaraches available. In my case home-made huaraches, but I'm really considering those for at least two of the ten-mile loops if the weather is dry enough. I'm now used to wearing socks and I think my feet may also have widened a bit and I'm finding them a tad tight at the moment.

The course is not highly technical with a 50:50 mix of tarmac and field margins/light trails with no severe hills on it, pretty gently rolling and on a ten-mile loop so plenty of chances to change shoes. The only thing will be weather.

As for huaraches in cold, absolutely no problem. I'used a pair regularly in Aberdeen all last winter and found them to be good down to at least -7-8 deg C with a pair of socks as well. I've now got soem injinji toe socks on order as well so that will help alleviate between toes discomfort vs scrunching up a normal sock

It seems that the socks would make the Huaraches more slick than before, sort of like when their wet. Do you not find this to be the case?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts