Howdy, y'all

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by barefootchoirboy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. barefootchoirboy

barefootchoirboy
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Tennessee

Greetings!

I started running about a year ago as a way to start getting fit/lose weight. I did a couch-to-5k, then a couple of other short races, and eventually decided to train for the Country Music half marathon in April. Got up to 13 miles in training, then got sidelined with a stress reaction (near-fracture) in my tibia. Not fun. A month on crutches, then started over on C25K. After 4 weeks, the pain started coming back, and I started freaking out.

So, I decided to give the whole barefoot thing a try. I picked up a pair of Vibram Bikila LS's, and started over (again) on C25K. Just finished week 2 this morning, and I feel great!

After the injury, I worked with a physical therapist who tried to get me to transition to a forefoot strike. The concept made sense, and I felt like I had all the tools I needed to make it work. But I found that the more I ran (in my "normal" running shoes), the harder it was to hold the good form.

With the VFFs I find that I'm just gliding. Everything I've been learning and practicing just happens so easily out on the road. Not that there isn't some adjustment - my calves and ankles are definitely getting a new kind of workout. But I wouldn't call the after-effects anything even remotely resembling pain. It just feels like they're alive.

So, now I find that my "normal" shoes totally kill my feet. I love running in the VFFs, but I can't handle wearing them in public as an everyday shoe. Just too many stares and too many questions for this introvert. So yesterday I picked up a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves for everyday use, and a pair of Merrell Tough Gloves for a dressy alternative. My wallet is feeling the pinch, but my feet are really happy.

Anyway, looking forward to talking with y'all and possibly meeting up for a run one of these days. Definitely signing up for the barefoot 5k in October.

Oh, and since I started running, I've dropped 55+ pounds. It's a whole new world.

Peace,

Jason

2. ajw1970

ajw1970
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Hi Jason, welcome to

Hi Jason, welcome to BRS!

Glad to hear the minimalist shoes are helping you run without pain and with the form you're adjusting to. I just started running last year too with the C25K program. This year I'm volunteering with that same class and plan to run the 5k with them in September. Last year I ran it in the Bikila's but this year I'm planning to run it completely barefoot.

I just did my first chapter meetup last weekend and it was really great being able to run with so many others instead of being the one crazy looking guy on the trail running barefoot. :)

Happy running and good luck with that race in October!