How to stop over striding?

Stoplookinatme

Barefooters
May 20, 2012
If I go further than 3 miles barefoot I begin to get blisters. I have not been able to break past this limit. At this time I believe it's over striding because the blisters form at mid foot on the outer edge. It's been plaguing me for a long time.

How does a person know if they are over striding? What bio feedback is there that tells you that you are landing correctly? What can you do to train you body to not over stride?

I think I posted this on the wrong forum but I can't move it.

Thanks,
Jim

You might get shin pain if you over stride as well. When I first started running barefoot it improved my form but I was still over striding and I could tell because my shins would start to tighten. These days it just never happens at all.
It's all an evolution and it takes time to get all the adjustments right. The more barefoot kilometres you get under your belt (or soles) the better you will become. From my experiences I was still getting blisters occasionally at 2000km. I'm now close to 3500km and don't seem to get that problem now.

I don't belived you're over-striding if you were, like some pointed out you'll get shin splints and/or God forbid heel pain. My guess is that you're grinding or rotating your feet at landing.
Have you try running on place to see how it feels to lift your feet instead of pushing? Give it a try if you haven't done it already.

First, find out if over striding is your problem by having someone observe you or having someone film you. If you are over striding then: Let your blisters heal and then try short distances on rough conditions. Gravel, chip seal, trails. You will most likely slow your pace and shorten your stride length to preserve your feet.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I've been running for almost a year now barefoot. I run on gravel, dirt, and asphalt, but for me asphalt is worse due to the blisters that start right about 3 miles. I've tested my cadence a couple of times and it is right around 180/min.
I don't have any shin pain, but I had very bad heel pain that lasted for about 4 weeks after a 5k trail race. Jason Robillard observed my form at that time and said I was overstriding, not sure if I still do.
When I hit a patch of sand on the road or mud on a trail it does seem like there is some sliding when my foot touches down.
I have been very frustrated, because I want to break this 3 mile barrier!

Thanks,
Jim

Update. I only ran 2 miles today after doing the jump rope running in my driveway that dr mark suggests to stop over striding. I don't understand what happened exactly because my pace improved by 30 sec per mile and it felt like my feet were behind me pushing me. It felt strange but easier.

Reactions: Bare Lee