How to stop looking down?

I usually glance ahead about 10-15 feet unless the terrain is treacherous. This allows me to maintain a level head for the most part, and thus decent posture, while still being able to see most debilitating debris as well as a bit into the distance. I've been injury-free for one and a half years of BFR this way, except for once when I stubbed my big toe on some uneven concrete sidewalk slabs while messing with my new Garmin. That laid me up for about a week. I don't know if it makes sense to never look down, but if you're relatively new at this I would suspect you'll let go of the obsessive habit as time goes by and you get more comfortable.

Reactions: Sid and scedastic
When you run in places that you know are safe and low on debris, glance ahead just in case, then face forward and run (if you know you have lots of obstacles to worry over, it will be harder to train yourself not to stare). Every so often, glance again just to be sure, then forward again.
When I get tired or get into an area with lots of whatnot in the way, my head starts wandering down, so my posture goes with it, and I've got to remind myself to look up.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I am not sure you ever will be able too, or would want to completely eliminate it. I have found over time that I have looked farther and farther ahead. When I first started running, I was pretty much looking straight down to ensure I did not step on rocks or the like (not good for the neck and posture). As time went by, I was able to expand that to 10 feet in front then 20 and so on, on regular running surfaces like asphalt, sidewalks etc. On technical trails, I am still scanning closer to ensure that sneaky root or cactus does not jump out in front of me at the last second.

I run while pushing a stroller so I had to learn really fast how to not focus on my feet but to watch up ahead of me and pay attention to where danger lies and make sure I just don't step there.

Choose a lamp post or a tree and tell to yourself-I am going to run to that post/tree without looking down. Once you reach the post/tree repeat.
Always scan ahead not down.

last weeke i was Running on trails where some was covered with grass and so on. I realised i change my running form, since I had to look ahead to find my way through the forrest but did not had any problems with whatever I landed on.

Read Ken bob saxtons book. He has some go0d points about how to run and handle rough surfaces - and when you control that you can enjoy the surrounding nature :)

I have a hard time not looking right down at my feet when I run barefoot (except at dark when I can't see anything anyways)

Basically how can I stop? Just Keep catching myself until I stop? I know my feet aren't going to get injured (even when I step on a sharp rock) but I can't help it :/

I never stopped looking at my feet until I did some night runs with a head lamp. I focused the headlamp way out in front of me, and tried to minimize impact by judging how much the light beam shook around with each landing. Just letting the feet do what they have to do, letting them think for themselves is what it takes.

I wouldnt worry about it so much. I might not look much if I am on a paved park trail but anything else I scan the ground routinely. I guess you just need to learn to just scan it routinely and not just stare straight down. But still I look down at the road more than not, and I don't see an issue. Unless your tunnel visioned or something you should be able to see cars/trees/whatever in your periphery even if your looking mostly down.

Choose a lamp post or a tree and tell to yourself-I am going to run to that post/tree without looking down. Once you reach the post/tree repeat.
Always scan ahead not down.
combine this with lomads advice and your good to go!! :D

Reactions: Lomad and Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts