how to run with a garmin

Ditto.If you had it in your

Ditto.

If you had it in your shoes laces, you could always get an ankle strap. We sell the RoadID on the site here. Look for ad to pop up at the right sidebar. Or you could get a small dog collar with a plastic buckle. You might have to use a tie-wrap depending on what GPS you have.

I have not ordered it yet. I

I have not ordered it yet. I thought that there was a chip kind of like the nike plus has. But after looking at it again, there is none. So sorry for the crazy question.

+1 for the road ID. you need

+1 for the road ID. you need them for the chips for races! but yeah buy a garmin 305 best watch out there

I have the 305, rarely use it

I have the 305, rarely use it though, only when I'm unfamiliar with a distance on a new route. Is there a different or updated version to the one I bought about 2 years ago, or is it the exact same model?

Since we are onthe subject of

Since we are onthe subject of garmins. I'm wondering if the calories burned is accurate. It just doesn't feel like I'm working as hard as when I ran with regular shoes. Any thoughts?

I have a 305 (from about 3

I have a 305 (from about 3 years ago) and my wife has a 405. IMO, I like the 305 better, its bigger than the 405 but I find it easier to use and I like the screen better.

I believe there is a new Garmin out called a 610 not sure what improvements have been made to it though.

You aren't working as hard. 

You aren't working as hard. That's true. Some studies (Stomper can point us to the literature to verify or correct me if I'm wrong) state that barefoot runners use less energy and consume less oxygen. Since you don't feel like you are working hard enough, and if you are physically ready for it (you know yourself better than anyone), maybe you're ready to amp up your runs (speed, distance)?

Are you wearing the heart rate monitor with the Garmin? The 304 and 405 have the HRM. If so, then I think it's pretty accurate.

Okay, thanks, Bob!

Okay, thanks, Bob!

Thanks TJ.I don't wear the

Thanks TJ.

I don't wear the heart rate monitor. Could never get used to it.

I've been running 3 miles but now that my soccer season is over I think I will build up to 4+ with a goal of racing a 10k in the spring.

Kinda straying off topic, but

Kinda straying off topic, but I have had a Garmin 305 for couple years and this spring got an iPhone. I'd read the iPhone was not as accurate as the Garmin, but from my limited sample of several months I find they usually correlate within a few yards each mile. The longer the run the better the correlation. GPS is a rough estimate anyway.

I've stopped wearing the Garmin since I carry the phone with me anyway, plus the iSmoothRun app pauses when I stop, measures cadence, and posts directly to DailyMile. I've tried several running apps and they all have strengths. I use iSmoothRun because of the cadence measurement. I'm up to about 80-85 (ie 160-170, the app reports in 1/2 measurements for some reason).

I'm not ready to sell my Garmin as I think it would be better for long runs. A 1.5hr run drains about 30-40% of the iPhone battery, more if you are streaming radio. I'm an NPR news junkie so I love being able to stream radio while running!

~David

I had a 305, but about a year

I had a 305, but about a year ago bought a 310xt. It is much better than the 305. I didn't like using the 305 after using the 310xt.

I couldn't get used to

I couldn't get used to wearing the strap either, but if you did, you would have a better idea of how many watts/calories you are burning.

...the iSmooth run app pauses when I stop...

Very cool feature! It would be nice if the Garmins would do this too. Do the newer ones do this?

I have a 301. Just checked

I have a 301. Just checked out the new models. I don't think I could run another step until I get the 610. That thing is sweet. Touch screen and it can guide you back to your starting point. My birthday may have to come early. :D

the caloric expenditures that

the caloric expenditures that are given from anything are just estimates using equations. these equations typically take the information you put in the watch (age, weight, sex, HR when you wear the strap, etc) to do this. The only way to really know what your actual caloric expenditure is on a run is to do the run measuring your gas exchange against your heart rate which means you would be running with the air tube in your mouth and a computer :) I spent five years studying these processes and performing gas exchange testing on people everyday and the basics are that the accuracy of the apparatus varies.

My advice is to wear the heart rate strap if you want the caloric info to be more specific. If you don't wear the strap the you will be in the ballpark of your calorie burn but you could easily be 100 calories or more off of your actual burn.

I'm still liking my Garmin

I'm still liking my Garmin 205. I'm sure the newer Garmins have more/better features, but this does everything I would want it to.

I actually wish I had

I actually wish I had purchased the 205 and saved some money, since the only big difference between the 205 and the 305 is the heart rate monitor, and I never use mine.

Thanks Jimmy that's good info

Thanks Jimmy that's good info to know. My garmin seems to average me at 150 calories per mile. Thats seems reasonable to me.

+1 to TJs comment, I did the

+1 to TJs comment, I did the same stupid thing. I wore the heart rate monitor like 3 times and it just feels to clausterphobic on me or something. I seemed to have forgotten when I got the thing that I don't pay very much attention to things like this anyway :)