How to become an awesome barefoot runner in less than 12 months

Matt

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
And I'm not talking about myself. If you were to train like me, you could become a poor barefoot runner in just over 3 years.

However, there is a very well accomplished barefoot runner who started up barefoot running earlier this year. If you haven't heard of him, his name is Todd Ragsdale, and he's a member of the Oregon Chapter of the BRS.

What has he done?
  • In his first barefoot race, he ran a 10K in under 38 minutes.
  • Recently, he ran more than 102 miles in 24 hours. 102 miles!!!
I'm not sure what all of his secrets are, but he has shared a few of them. Check out the following article: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100603/LIFE/6030301/-1/NEWSMAP

And here's an article about his 102 mile run: http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/todd-ragsdale-runs-102-miles-barefoot-dpgoha-20100610-fc_8007819

And the following video is on his Youtube chanel and talks about his practice of marching barefoot in a bucket of gravel. Check out the "real" gravel later in the video. If anyone has tough feet, he has them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_24-oCx1lek

Todd -- Thanks for sharing some of your training secrets and also showing us what is possible.

Reactions: BareFootBC
 I became an awesome barefoot

I became an awesome barefoot runner as soon as I lost the shoes. I'm naturally awesome at everything. I bleed awesome. My middle name is awesome (Barefoot Awesome Ramzev)

But I'm not as awesome as a dude who can run 100+ miles, shod or unshod. (Or in a kilt)

I find anyone who can stay

I find anyone who can stay awake for 24 hours to be quite awesome. It's amazing to me that anyone can do 100 miles in a month.

We featured Todd on the BRS's

We featured Todd on the BRS's News Show after he completed his Guiness World Record Longest Barefoot Run of 102.65 miles in an interview. Check it out here: http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/102-mile-barefoot-ultra-no-simple-feat.5549/t

His Gravel Bucket Training technique/video also made the BRS's Blog of the Week last week: Check it out here:

http://www.barefootrunners.org/buil...-bucket-marching-training-video-todd-ragsdale

Yes, Todd is way too cool, and if you notice in our interview with him, he had just recently took up running barefoot and recently completed the world record run.

Wow, I wasn't sure about the

Wow, I wasn't sure about the gravel bucket marching before, but if he can get to 100+ miles in under a year, I'm definitely gonna have to give it a try.

Gravel bucket marching just

Gravel bucket marching just sounds painful.

I don't see the rush in becoming an "awesome" barefoot runner. I just like the feeling of being barefoot. Don't know how awesome I am at running, because I will always be on the slower end, but I sure as hell enjoy it.

I actually just talked to

I actually just talked to another fellow barefooter who does gravel marching. He uses aquarium rocks, which are smooth enough not to be painful but with enough texture to serve their purpose. He steps on them to warm up his feet before going running.

It's actually a really good idea. Not only does it cause your plantar skin to respond by thickening without tearing it, but it also causes more blood flow to your feet. So it helps immediately with the run you plan to do afterwards, as well as prepare you for the future.

Do you think the cat will

Do you think the cat will mind if I borrow the litter box? Except for the odd sticky lump and clump that would probably suffice... no? :D

S. Pimp.

TJ -- Thanks for those

TJ -- Thanks for those links. I rarely check the home page of the BRS, so maybe I should get in the habit of doing so.

Saypay -- I'm planning on trying gravel marching this winter. If I'm forced to run in aquasocks because of cold and snow, I would like a way to keep my feet in the best possible barefoot shape.

Swedishpimple -- I have a litter box that's not being used. Hopefully, if I fill it with gravel, my cat won't get any ideas.

I was kidding about the

I was kidding about the litter box... the adolescent side of me just couldn't resist taking a stab at humor centered around "poo". How old am I? :)

S. Pimp.

I thought the kitty litter

I thought the kitty litter box was funny. My kitties have a cat door, so they go outside to do their binezz. If I put a litter box in front of them, they would be like, "What."

I'm going to fill a bucket

I'm going to fill a bucket with volcanic gardening rocks and march on that hellish stuff. I'll be even more awesomer!

They are not nasty rodents. 

They are not nasty rodents. They are soft, furry, little pieces of love.

Okay, maybe Jasper is, but

Okay, maybe Jasper is, but even his own momma don't love him.

Jasper is my neighbor's cat.

Jasper is my neighbor's cat.

Angie consider yourself lucky

Angie consider yourself lucky you don't have cats. We have two, I made the huge mistake of bringing another one home two years ago. My wife is the cat lover. Honestly I am not a fan of cats, they are nasty rodents. So of course who gets stuck cleaning the liter box, me. oh well.

It's pretty easy to become an awesome barefoot runner in 12 months. You don't have to run 100 miles in one shot to establish yourself as an awesome runner.

Shacky wrote:I'm going to

Shacky said:
I'm going to fill a bucket with volcanic gardening rocks and march on that hellish stuff. I'll be even more awesomer!
Why stop at volcanic rocks, when you can fill the bucket with broken glass?

Oooo... Lava rocks and broken

Oooo... Lava rocks and broken glass does sound like a way cool challenge. :p

Regarding my earlier post....

I don't even have a cat... all lies. See how far I'll go for potty humor.... It's a sickness really. ;)

S. Pimp.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS