How Nakefit is innovating the way we walk barefoot and embrace nature

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
nakefit-770x385.jpg

How Nakefit is innovating the way we walk barefoot and embrace nature
Kulture Hub
... shores to hot NYC sidewalks and grassy parks, Nakefit ensures that every experience you have walking, jogging, or running will feel brand new.

Interesting but I would have to wonder why when it is just as easy to go barefoot. They would still be cutting off some of the stimulation that the soles would be getting without them.
From a sustainability point of view, if you have to put on a new pair each time you run it could start to add up both financially and environmentally.
They might be useful if it encourages some people take up a more natural running style but feel just too vulnerable with their soles making direct contact with the ground.
Neil

If they could be multiple use, that would be better. Someone like me with all the nerve damage and fat pad atrophy I deal with might benefit from them. It's hard to say without trying them.

How are the foot issues going TJ are you making any progress?

Neil
No, I'm not. I'm getting worse with each step...literally. The fat pads on the bottoms of my feet are nearly gone from all the needles, treatments, and surgeries, so it feels like I'm walking on the bones in the balls of my feet. I still go barefoot as much as I can, like driving, outside in the yard, shopping, but I can't walk very far on chip n seal asphalt or rough concrete, and if I try on the smooth stuff, the pain sets in relatively quickly anyway. It's a good thing I can work from home. There's a new "treatment" where they inject botox into your fat pads, but I'm afraid of playing guinea pig again, since that's all I really ever was to these doctors. Then there's one where they can transfer fat from elsewhere to the fat pads, but then again, it probably wouldn't work for me, since nothing has.

For the past couple of months, I have been feeling a "new" stump neuroma redeveloping in the 3/4 interspace on my left foot that should not ever have happened, since I had the final surgeries to relocate the main nerve branches into my arch muscles (both feet). That surgery was to stop any further stump neuromas from developing, but it didn't. These last couple of weeks, I'm starting to feel one develop on my right foot in the same interspace. I'm going to be contacting the peripheral nerve surgeon who pioneered this relocation surgery to tell him that he was wrong, but I have to find the right way to go about it, since I don't want to burn any bridges with him.

On top of it all, the other problem I have with my feet where my arches and heels burn if I've been on my feet too long hasn't resolved either. The surgeon thought I had tarsal tunnel syndrome, compression of the main nerve branches that run down the ankle, but those surgeries (both feet) didn't resolve my problem. I still have that pain if I've been on my feet too long.

These last sets of surgeries, the relocations and decompressions, took place on August 30, 2012. I haven't gotten any relief. It sucks, but I make due. I don't feel like, "Whah, why me?!" like some people do. Instead, I remind myself, "Why not me?" See what I can do with it. I founded MN Talk for 5 years and helped a bunch of folks to understand what they were going through and let them know that they're not the only one out there struggling with the same thing; sometimes you can feel so alone when you're going through something that's so uncommon. I hope that was comforting to them. And I always seem to have people on the side contact me via messaging and email asking for knowledge/help/advice, etc. Some of these people don't even run, barefoot or otherwise, but somehow, they find me. I hope I have been able to help others through the BRS understand that shoes are useful tools (as Jason would say), but they can also kill your feet and rob you of living your life the way you want to if you don't choose your shoes wisely. I look back, and I realize that I should never have chased the treatments and surgeries in order to get back into shod running the way society wanted me to but just stayed completely barefoot instead, and I would have been just fine. I made some really bad choices when it came to healing my feet.

Anyway, thanks for asking about me and letting me vent. Sometimes it's good to share what you're going through with others. :)

Reactions: BareFootBC