How long did it take you to build up mileage?

smileyfootjamie

Barefooters
Mar 3, 2011
I am just wondering how long, generally, it takes to safely add on mileage. I'm getting metatarsal pain after going 2 miles and I took a month before I even did that much! I rarely wear shoes and if I do, it's flip flops. I've gone barefoot a lot for most of my life so it's not like I've had my feet crammed in clunky support shoes for 50 years (I'm not 50 anyway).

I know most injuries are "too much too fast" but I don't feel like I've gone too fast.

Just looking to see how long it will take before I can do some real running.

And if my problem isn't the mileage, I guess it has to do with form. I'm not sure what I"m doing wrong though.

Welcome, Smiley!How long

Welcome, Smiley!

How long have you been a runner? How long was your longest run ever? How long have you been trying to run barefoot? Do you ever run in anything? Can you determine if it is a bone issue or tissue issue? Where at in the metty is the pain?

Some people have a harder time getting their mileage up and require even more time to do so, even if they live a mostly barefoot lifestyle. Some of us have stronger bones than others.

I lived mostly barefoot and only wore shoes when I was "required to wear shoes by society." When I did wear shoes, I chose poorly, mostly not understanding that the types of shoes we choose to wear can cause great damage to our feet later in life. I developed Morton's Neuroma (two in each foot) from wearing certain types of shoes and running in certain types of shoes. I have difficulty at times too, still, because of that. It's been a long road for me, but I keep working at it, taking time off when I feel I should, and getting back at it when I am ready.

I found that if I land on my

I found that if I land on my forefoot (ball of foot) only like a sprinter I can have some pain in my foot of the kind you describe. If I land on the forefoot first and then roll down all the way onto my heel and a little inward (in other words land with my feet more relaxed and flat-footed feeling) the discomfort goes away. Hope that makes sense the way I described it.

I am no expert, but maybe

I am no expert, but maybe this will help (Stolen wisdom alert!)

- focus more on lifting your feet and less on the time they spend on the ground;

- take care of your legs between runs with good, deep massage, ice and the occasional ibuprofen or such.

Don't be in too much of a hurry (which it sounds like you're not) and you'll do fine.

Run well!

I'm a slow runner and build

I'm a slow runner and build my milage the same way.....slowly. If you enjoy running then don't be in sucha hurry to finish a run quickly. Go out enjoy, relax and don't focus on the milage. Focus on what your body is telling you and learn from the feedback that 99% runners miss out on. I understand the frustation of wanting to do more miles but if you force it you won't be going anywhere. Give those legs/feet some lovin and you will be good to go.

I don't base my running on

I don't base my running on distance anymore. I just go by time. I don't go out on 25km runs, I go out on 2 hour runs. That way I am not always trying to run faster and beat my best time on a certain route. I know my run is going to be 1 hour out and close to one hour on the way back. If I feel like going faster, then I let that happen, though I will usually save the energy for the return trip.