how long before I get my speed back

Mary

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I've been using the evos for two months, and I love them. I'm just not as fast as I used to be; I'm about 1 minute off. How long does it take to get back to my previous speed?

Mary

I wonder why your speed

I wonder why your speed decreased that much. I mean, sure, they don't have all the padding of traditional boat anchors, but they still offer some protection.

For me, it took me over a year to get my speed back once I gave up the shoes, but then I even got faster, and no I'm not saying running barefoot had anything to do with it, it may have and it may not have, the jury is still out. But I took 15 minutes exactly off my half marathon time from the last time I ran a shod half marathon to the first time I ran a barefoot half marathon.

Now that I have had surgery to correct Morton's Neuroma in both of my feet, once I've healed and gotten some fitness back, I really plan on testing this out. I can't wait, but I'm not holding onto any high expectations either.

It'll come...be patient. ;-)

I've been running barefoot or

I've been running barefoot or in VFF's for the past five months. So far my race results have all been faster than with shoes. I feel I'm much smoother now. That effecient form will eventually help you out. It took me a long time to build up the confidence to go fast. I was always afraid I was going to destroy the soles of my feet if I ran fast. Once I started doing my usual repeats and speedwork, and noticed my feet didn't combust, I had the confidence to race fast.

I still find myself not fully trusting my feet when it comes to tight, fast turns on a paved race course. Especially a sharp downhill turn. Just be patient. It takes a while to fully adjust, but I think the payoff is totally worth it.

I'm not much ahead of you

I'm not much ahead of you transition-wise, but will share my experience anyway. I started running in VFFs and ditched my ascics in February. I am almost back up to speed (such as it is), but I haven't been pushing it for fear of getting ahead of my foot strength. I've been more focused on adding time running in VFFs than speed, the speed has just taken care of itself really.

I am just now starting to add speed work. I think I'll end up faster than I would be had I stayed shod.

I'm in the same boat, I've

I'm in the same boat, I've been running barefoot for about 4mos now and my speed has decreased by probably 1min/mi or so...maybe more on my long runs. I'm not counting in speed to come back for a while, I notice it when I try to speed up too much or it feels too good and I forget that I shouldn't run that fast quite yet (my arches get sore). I plan to just stick it out for this year running slow and really building the strength in my feet/legs and give speed a shot next year. It's hard to swallow, but I think that in the long run patience is the best thing you can count on.

i think this is mental if

i think this is mental if you are not dealing with any pain when you run. you have to remember that you have turned the world upside down as far as your nervous system is concerned. the nerves will only be read by the brain in so many ways and a lot of times the signal the brain gets from a bare foot is that of pain. the constant "pounding" the nerves are registering is read as a bad thing and the brain tries to figure it out. you obviously are not injured and do not need to stop so the brain does the next thing on the list and slows you down.

that's one possibility. the other could be that you are just running slower because you have adopted a new form and it's not comfortable yet. it's not smooth and you are working on it. you may not even be fully aware but any change you make in your form will create a slow down unless it is something that is inherently designed to speed you up. for most, barefoot running does not serve that purpose and you slow down before you speed up.

lastly i would say that your muscles are still strengthening and you do not have the power necessary to push for the speeds and times you once had. they will come and it's quite possible you wind up faster than you were because you are not incorporating more muscles into the equation.

the other advices are correct though. you have to be patient and give it time because there is no answer for your question. sadly this one falls under the "everyone is different" umbrella.

You dont say what you were

You dont say what you were running in before, but I assume they were traditional runners with thick+cushy soles. Harry ("HHH") does a lot of serious/fast miles/races, and he likes his new EVOs best without insoles, but for racing I believe he sometimes prefers the insole (to add that extra level of protection and comfort) in order to get the fastest possible time. Only problem is that insoles re-introduce a slight heel-to-toe drop, which bothers him (and many others).

Like everyone has said, I suspect going from standard runners to minimal runners or barefoot will eventually improve form and efficiency, but will take time to build-up the serious foot toughness/confidence required for really fast times.

Lucky me, I just jog along enjoying the scenary, so these subtilties dont affect me :)